Stadia

dubbs

49 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Supposedly the (very good) Cyberpunk release on Stadia is a bit of a red herring as well. It's actually had development to work well on Stadia. That means to get the best from the hardware the developer has to put on additional effort for it. Which they won't because the return isn't there.

Pretty much expected. If I'm not mistaken, Stadia servers are linux based, so any dev wanting to port the game has to do quite a significant amount of work. 

The upside of that is that if Stadia were to succeed, gaming on Linux would benefit, which can only be a good thing. I think it's a longshot though, because the ADHD **** at google HQ are already giving up on this.

23 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I imagine google have to use linux servers as Microsoft would be seen as one of their biggest competitors. Although its not unheard of for IT companies to use competitors products 

Nah Google are quite happy to use Microsoft where appropriate and vice versa. A lot of Azure runs Linux behind the scenes.

It'll run on Linux simply because it can be better tuned. Google will be able to strip the kernel right back and they'll be able to rewrite any code that isn't optimised or write extra bits exactly as they need.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I imagine google have to use linux servers as Microsoft would be seen as one of their biggest competitors. Although its not unheard of for IT companies to use competitors products 

Microsoft launched their cloud using Linux and have their own Linux variant. Google don't own Linux. There is nothing to stop them using whatever OS they like. They use Linux as it is the one best suited to the task.

The choice of server OS is pretty much irrelevant. Any streaming service is likely to be using Linux. Streaming is still the likely future of mass market gaming.

I can see the games companies like EA using the Stadia service as a platform - possibly as a white label - rather than trying to create their own ("Powered by Stadia"). There will be plenty of smaller developers who don't want to bother running their own platform at all.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

The choice of server OS is pretty much irrelevant. Any streaming service is likely to be using Linux. Streaming is still the likely future of mass market gaming.

I can see the games companies like EA using the Stadia service as a platform - possibly as a white label - rather than trying to create their own ("Powered by Stadia"). There will be plenty of smaller developers who don't want to bother running their own platform at all.

There is the problem though, that devs won't want to port their games to Stadia, because there's no market share. And there's no market share because there are few games. It's going to take a huge investment to keep the thing going, keep devs on board even if sales are low, and encourage consumer confidence in the platform. 

I don't deny there may be a successful streaming platform that captures a big section of the market, but I'd wager it won't be run by Google. Not unless they buy out a more successful competitor. 

1 hour ago, limpid said:

There is nothing to stop them using whatever OS they like.

Of course but if they chose to use windows then they would be paying a licence fee to a direct competitor, that was the point I was making. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

There is the problem though, that devs won't want to port their games to Stadia, because there's no market share. And there's no market share because there are few games. It's going to take a huge investment to keep the thing going, keep devs on board even if sales are low, and encourage consumer confidence in the platform. 

I don't deny there may be a successful streaming platform that captures a big section of the market, but I'd wager it won't be run by Google. Not unless they buy out a more successful competitor. 

I don't think Google is the biggest at the moment, I think that Nvidia GeForce is.

I expect Stadia to pivot into a platform rather than a console replacement. However, low-lag, dedicated on-demand virtual applications have a lot of markets, not just gaming.

Stadia also runs in Chrome on Windows and Mac. Whether as a service or a platform, it has a future. I wonder what that future will be.

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Of course but if they chose to use windows then they would be paying a licence fee to a direct competitor, that was the point I was making. 

Why not? The Google employees I interact with use about 50/50 chromebooks and Macs. They are paying a competitor for half of those (more than half as not all the Chromebooks are Google ones).

I'd be amazed if Walmart and Best Buy don't use Amazon Web Services even though they are a competitor.

Right tool for the job.

19 minutes ago, limpid said:

I'd be amazed if Walmart and Best Buy don't use Amazon Web Services even though they are a competitor.

I agree with your general point, but Walmart are famously anti-AWS, and have forced their tech vendors to move all services away from it in favour of Azure, they don't want any of their money going to Amazon.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I agree with your general point, but Walmart are famously anti-AWS, and have forced their tech vendors to move all services away from it in favour of Azure, they don't want any of their money going to Amazon.

I didn't know that - I just picked two random companies. I wonder how they enforce that on their supply chain, but that's off topic :mrgreen:

• 9 months later...
11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Downloading it on my TV now

That's what I wasn't from game pass, an android TV app, will do the free trail using my xbox controller 

Whats the best games on it? 

Rainbow 6 Siege is free to play this weekend.

I don't tend to spend a lot of time on ga,mes, just connect and try some stuff. PUBG is good for that. Fallen Order was okay. Cyberpunk 2077 was great as I didn't have to download patches :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Rainbow 6 Siege is free to play this weekend.

I don't tend to spend a lot of time on ga,mes, just connect and try some stuff. PUBG is good for that. Fallen Order was okay. Cyberpunk 2077 was great as I didn't have to download patches :mrgreen:

Add me as a friend?

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, villa89 said:

Just got mine for 20 notes. Looking forward to trying it  

Well worth it. Haven’t had as much gaming time recently but when I get the chance I’ll boot up again. I’ve also used the controller on Steam games. 

Â