Stadia

dubbs

• 1 month later...
On 19/03/2019 at 22:22, Davkaus said:

I give it until 2021 before it appears on https://killedbygoogle.com/

Well, I'd say I'll probably end up being out by a couple of years. It'll be formally sunset within a year though, I'd imagine. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-04-stadia-reportedly-deprioritised-as-google-focuses-on-selling-streaming-tech-to-third-parties

Google has reportedly "deprioritised" its consumer-facing game streaming platform Stadia and now has a "reduced interest" in negotiating blockbuster titles for the service, having largely shifted its focus to selling the services' underlying technology to third-parties.

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Well, I'd say I'll probably end up being out by a couple of years. It'll be formally sunset within a year though, I'd imagine. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-04-stadia-reportedly-deprioritised-as-google-focuses-on-selling-streaming-tech-to-third-parties

Who could have predicted that story?

On 09/02/2021 at 20:06, limpid said:

I can see the games companies like EA using the Stadia service as a platform - possibly as a white label - rather than trying to create their own ("Powered by Stadia"). There will be plenty of smaller developers who don't want to bother running their own platform at all.

• Like 2

Good. A failed experiment. No game publisher is going to use a service which is obviously being abandoned. Good news for gamers. I dont want to rent games and have google spying over my shoulder watching what I am doing, I want to own games and play them, ts nobodies damn business what I play an how I play them. I bought the game now piss off. :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Good. A failed experiment. No game publisher is going to use a service which is obviously being abandoned. Good news for gamers. I dont want to rent games and have google spying over shoulder watching what I am doing, I want to own them and play them an its nobodies damn business what I play an how I play them.

Ever tried it?

I don't think that it's going anywhere. Business Insider read a whole lot more into the white labelling announcement (which I predicted a year ago).

If you think Google are "spying on you", what do you think they are going to get from that information? How will it negatively impact your life even if they were? Your console "spies" on you in exactly the same way. I'd be more worried about them tracking your activity on sites like VillaTalk.

I subscribe to games like I subscribe to movies, music, tv, etc. If you don't like that model, then I'm glad that you've found an alternative. I don't understand why you appear so hostile to a business model just because it doesn't appeal to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Ever tried it?

I don't think that it's going anywhere. Business Insider read a whole lot more into the white labelling announcement (which I predicted a year ago).

If you think Google are "spying on you", what do you think they are going to get from that information? How will it negatively impact your life even if they were? Your console "spies" on you in exactly the same way. I'd be more worried about them tracking your activity on sites like VillaTalk.

I subscribe to games like I subscribe to movies, music, tv, etc. If you don't like that model, then I'm glad that you've found an alternative. I don't understand why you appear so hostile to a business model just because it doesn't appeal to you.

My PC doesnt need to be connected to the internet to play single player games. Dear god that would be awful. I have been a gamer for over 40 years. I have seen many companies try and force anti customer business models' down our throats. I am glad you like subscription gaming, enjoy it. Lots of people enjoy lootboxs and microtransactions as well. They are not for me and I wish those business models ill.  I have zero interest in a world where I have to pay $9.99 to Google every month to play single player games I own and I certainly dont trust Google with my data thank you. As long as I can ignore it and actually buy games from quality game developers I am happy  :) 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

My PC doesn't need to be connected to the internet to play single player games. 

But I bet it still is anyway. Also all those games you "own", you don't actually own them at all. You're just buying a licence from the developer to use them. EA or Bungie or whoever own them. I find the hostility to a subscription model bizarre, it's just like netflix or any service like that. Also some people seem obsessed with buying physical copies of games, give it 10 years and that won't be possible whether you like it or not. Move with the times lads, it's called progress. It's nothing to be scared of.

Oh and lastly the big brother is watching me paranoia. Who cares? Who cares what aggregated data google collects, it just means if you see an ad it might be for something you are interested in rather than something irrelevant. If if you were really worried about being tracked then you wouldn't be using any email account or website where you have to sign up or anything like that.   

25 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Oh and lastly the big brother is watching me paranoia. Who cares? Who cares what aggregated data google collects, it just means if you see an ad it might be for something you are interested in rather than something irrelevant. If if you were really worried about being tracked then you wouldn't be using any email account or website where you have to sign up or anything like that.   

And Microsoft are gathering the same (or more) data, without the incentive to ensure that the data doesn't leak - as using it is not a significant part of their business strategy (yet).

46 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Stadia is great, really - this is from a former sceptic.

Only issue is, VillaAdminLimp on Stadia keeps sending nudes, wish I could work out who that is. 

As long as it's not VillaTalkAdmin, you'll be fine.

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

But I bet it still is anyway. Also all those games you "own", you don't actually own them at all. You're just buying a licence from the developer to use them. EA or Bungie or whoever own them. I find the hostility to a subscription model bizarre, it's just like netflix or any service like that. Also some people seem obsessed with buying physical copies of games, give it 10 years and that won't be possible whether you like it or not. Move with the times lads, it's called progress. It's nothing to be scared of.

It's off topic a bit, but there's a big difference with online games compared to music/films/books, and it isn't to do with physical ownership. One day, these games will simply disappear. 

My console collection (mewgfadrive, SNES, Gamecube, PS/PS2) is up in the loft, and even if it wasn't, I could grab an emulator and play my old childhood games, but this isn't going to be possible for lots of modern games. Once they're no longer economically viable, they'll go away and be lost forever. It's already that way with the online component of lots of multiplayer games if they don't have local multiplayer, but I'm increasingly sad to see even the single player experience go this way.

The only people who'll be able to preserve the experience of these games are pirates working to crack/reverse-engineer the server code, without them, games will be lost to memory as soon as companies can't profit from them, and that's a big cultural loss, IMO.

Anyway, Stadia..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, limpid said:

As long as it's not VillaTalkAdmin, you'll be fine.

Oh, he’s sending me photos of him dressed in slinky Lara Croft outfits. Odd. I won’t even detail what he did to the Butler he locked away. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I could grab an emulator and play my old childhood games, but this isn't going to be possible for lots of modern games. Once they're no longer economically viable, they'll go away and be lost forever. 

Not necessarily, if there's demand they can be kept and keeping old games isnt going to be costly for google. It's easy to just leave them there if people want them. Or have them available on demand. For example if you want an old game you have to order it and it might take a few minutes before its available for you to play. Old games are small and resource light, this will be the same into the future. It just comes down to demand, if people want it then it will happen. 

Edited by villa89

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Not necessarily, if there's demand they can be kept and keeping old games isnt going to be costly for google. It's easy to just leave them there if people want them. Or have them available on demand. For example if you want an old game you have to order it and it might take a few minutes before its available for you to play. Old games and small and resource light, this will be the same into the future. It just comes down to demand, if people want it then it will happen. 

Yep, the overhead for Google to leave old games in it's catalogue is so close to zero that it's not worth mentioning.

Just now, Davkaus said:

That relies on the service existing in 5 years. Would you bet on that?

Then I stop paying my sub and move to NVIDIA GeForce NOW or Steam / Borealis. Or one of the many other streaming options likely available by then.

I'm not betting on anything. I have no loyalty. If people want to keep playing old games for a subscription, why would Google close it down? It's money for old rope.

Â