Stadia

dubbs

A further advantage they'll have is the social aspect, combined with backwards compatibility.

Google can throw as much money at the problem as they like, but they need something truly compelling for people to switch, when all of their mates are already on PS/Xbox.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

A further advantage they'll have is the social aspect, combined with backwards compatibility.

Google can throw as much money at the problem as they like, but they need something truly compelling for people to switch, when all of their mates are already on PS/Xbox.

I remember when people said this about Sony. And then Microsoft 😁

28 minutes ago, limpid said:

I remember when people said this about Sony. And then Microsoft 😁

I think the argument gets more compelling each generation.

Comparing now to the launch of PS4/Xbone:

• Neither launched with backwards compatibility, and it's a given on the next iteration
  • Online play is now far, far more prevalent
  • It's likely to be a longer generation, more games in the library, more friends on the list

We'll see, maybe I'll look like a damn idiot in a few years, but frankly, I think this is a rubbish solution in need of a problem, I don't see cloud gaming ever being more than a niche activity, and even if it does, I doubt Stadia will still exist in a few years' time.

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

We'll see, maybe I'll look like a damn idiot in a few years, but frankly, I think this is a rubbish solution in need of a problem, I don't see cloud gaming ever being more than a niche activity, and even if it does, I doubt Stadia will still exist in a few years' time.

Eventually it will be the mainstream way people game. It might take a while but it will happen. Most gamers are happy with lower resolution, easy access games otherwise we'd all be spending thousands on PC's. Also the money at stake is huge. A cloud gaming platform eliminates high street sales of games immediately, increasing margin for those making the games themselves. It also stops second hand sales dead in their tracks. You can have a subscription service like Playstation Now and then charge full price for the newest games with DLC etc. on top.  Then you can also remove the need for R & D of new consoles and manufacturing them at a loss each generation. Once you have your Cloud setup running you are very unlikely to be usurped in the marketplace by something new as their won't be "new generations" every 4/5 years.

There's a reason google launched stadia, there's money in this idea, a shit ton of it. Problem is there could only be one winner.  

• Like 1

People will put up with inferior resolutions and the console's appalling frame rates because they don't know any better. It's one thing being used to poor performance because that's what you're used to, but I don't see people putting up with noticeable input lag that wasn't there with their old system.

Call me a luddite, but I won't be buying in no matter what, for no other reason than I like to be able to keep playing my games when the developers go bust or otherwise stop supporting them. Not being able to run your own media locally takes far too much power to the businesses IMO. I could be playing something and then it just...disappears, in the same way Netflix takes series offline? 

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Call me a luddite, but I won't be buying in no matter what, for no other reason than I like to be able to keep playing my games when the developers go bust or otherwise stop supporting them. Not being able to run your own media locally takes far too much power to the businesses IMO. I could be playing something and then it just...disappears, in the same way Netflix takes series offline?

This is a valid point but once the price point is right people will happily give that up.

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Not being able to run your own media locally takes far too much power to the businesses IMO. I could be playing something and then it just...disappears, in the same way Netflix takes series offline? 

Most people don't care about 'owning' media anymore. If you buy a game and it's in your game library for 15 years, it's been 12 years since you last played it and it disappears then who cares. Most likely the games will be around forever anyway much like you can still get the old games on steam etc., or old movies/TV shows on Netflix. If you look at the fine print of a game (AFAIK) you don't actually own it anyway, you just buy a licence to use it. People don't 'own' music anymore, they just have a spotify account or stream it from youtube, etc. It doesn't bother 99% of people.  

The Verge

Microsoft’s disc-less Xbox One S reportedly launching May 7th

Microsoft’s disc-less Xbox One S console will reportedly launch on May 7th. Windows Central has obtained documents that indicate this is the launch date, alongside leaked box art images that the site has recreated. Microsoft is said to be calling this console the “Xbox One S All-Digital edition,” signaling a new model without the typical Blu-ray drive. It’s not clear how much cheaper this model will be, but the removal of a Blu-ray drive will definitely drive down the price.

Continued at link above...

It begins...Xbox One SAD edition. Timed nicely to react to the launch of Stadia. Google Vs. MS in the battle for the cloud. If Google have any sense they'll try to partner up with Sony. 

MS using this as a test version to see what  the reaction is I bet. In reality it's pointless buying a digital only Xbox unless it costs < £150. You can get really good deals on an Xbox currently with plenty of games included. Without the disc you can't buy second hand games from CeX etc. or play blu-rays.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

How does it work? They are convinced it will be lag free and 60fps but they couldn't even keep their Google direct fault free tonight. On strangled broadband they cant promise it can they? I don't get it.

https://store.google.com/gb/product/stadia_founders_edition

Preorder with a bunch of stuff (Chromecast ultra and a 3 month "premium" subscription for you and a buddy) for £119, £9 a month for all the premium features (4k gfx, 5.1sound, free games thrown in "regularly"). Due out in November.

It's an interesting idea (though I remember reading about OnLive many years ago*), though with only a 14Mb net connection (and the fact that my steam link struggles as it is across my powerline network connections) I'll be keeping half an eye on it but my wallet in my pocket.  Plus there's the whole google deciding to pull the plug on it all in 4 years time factor that really perturbs me**.

*Interestingly I didn't realise that OnLive had been swallowed up by Sony, who apparently now have their PlayStationNow service running off the infrastructure of one of OnLive's rivals.
**Yes, I realise that it's technically no different to Valve deciding to scatter y Steam library into the ether, but Google do have form here.

Edited by CardiffGreens

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't like this at all. You basically never own the games. 

Your just renting a service. 

Big no thanks for me 

As someone else said up thread, this is how all media is beginning to work.

I can't remember the last time I bought an album or a movie or a TV show. it's all viewed/listened to via streaming apps and/or subscription services.

Makes sense that games will go the same way.

As long as I have access to it and can play my saved games, I don't give a shit if I own a game or not.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As long as I have access to it and can play my saved games, I don't give a shit if I own a game or not.

if they charge me the same price as the hard copy then I do and that's something that online stores like PSN etc haven't got right yet, they're pretty much RRP and behind the curve in terms of sales and promotions

if this thing is 120 + then 10 a month for a subscription service similar to game pass + 30 for a game then the pricing is good

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if they charge me the same price as the hard copy then I do and that's something that online stores like PSN etc haven't got right yet, they're pretty much RRP and behind the curve in terms of sales and promotions

if this thing is 120 + then 10 a month for a subscription service similar to game pass + 30 for a game then the pricing is good

From what I understand Stadia is exactly like Xbox just in the cloud, I think the only difference is there is no "Xbox Live" sub. So Stadia is £9 a month for the Game Pass portion of it and then RRP for any new releases.

The issue digital has always faced is that physical still exists and that means stores with power like GAME/Gamestop still exist. GAME are a huge reason why digital games don't cost less because it's not in their best interest for games to cost less somewhere else. GAME/Gamestop have been forcing price parity for close to a decade now, and they still hold that power over the industry because physical games still make up the majority of sales.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

As someone else said up thread, this is how all media is beginning to work.

I can't remember the last time I bought an album or a movie or a TV show. it's all viewed/listened to via streaming apps and/or subscription services.

Makes sense that games will go the same way.

I think as @villa4europe says the pricing needs to be lower. I appreciate your point for films and TV that's very true. But the downside with this is the selection is so huge you really don't know where to start. You also find you will float through more games and nit finish them.

When the choice is huge believe me it effects your game play. I'm more old school I like physical copies with games. 

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think as @villa4europe says the pricing needs to be lower. I appreciate your point for films and TV that's very true. But the downside with this is the selection is so huge you really don't know where to start. You also find you will float through more games and nit finish them.

When the choice is huge believe me it effects your game play. I'm more old school I like physical copies with games. 

But the price is lower isn't it? £10 a month for all the games you can play if it's similar to how Netflix works? That's nothing.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah but PSN you do own the games. Just not a hard copy. Like buying an album on MP3

Â