Stadia

dubbs

10 minutes ago, limpid said:

In what way? It seems a perfect fit for me.

I just don't see the value. The games on offer are poor and by the time you've purchased the edition, along with the subscription for 4k etc. it seems like you may as well have bought a PS4/Switch (albeit, good luck in the current climate).

I think they launched too soon. The servers don't seem powerful enough to avoid lag, they didn't have enough software and the commercial model was all wrong.
Working in gaming, I can also tell you that it isn't very simple porting a game to Stadia either. Developers just arent interested as the money on offer doesn't stack up for the workload required.

Whilst it might suit some people, in my opinion, this pool of people will be too small for it to be a success anytime soon. Honestly, I think you'd be better off getting an Xbox and purchasing Game Pass than signing up to Stadia. 

They'll need to throw a lot of money at it to make it a success. I'm talking about buying up studios, signing exclusivity agreements on titles etc. Something PS and Xbox have been doing for the last 10 years. Without a Naughty Dog on board, or someone of that calibre, I think it will fail.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just don't see the value. The games on offer are poor and by the time you've purchased the edition, along with the subscription for 4k etc. it seems like you may as well have bought a PS4/Switch (albeit, good luck in the current climate).

I think they launched too soon. The servers don't seem powerful enough to avoid lag, they didn't have enough software and the commercial model was all wrong.
Working in gaming, I can also tell you that it isn't very simple porting a game to Stadia either. Developers just arent interested as the money on offer doesn't stack up for the workload required.

Whilst it might suit some people, in my opinion, this pool of people will be too small for it to be a success anytime soon. Honestly, I think you'd be better off getting an Xbox and purchasing Game Pass than signing up to Stadia. 

They'll need to throw a lot of money at it to make it a success. I'm talking about buying up studios, signing exclusivity agreements on titles etc. Something PS and Xbox have been doing for the last 10 years. Without a Naughty Dog on board, or someone of that calibre, I think it will fail.

I'm happy with the Pro offering so far. A number of new games every month for the subscription (currently free). I've only bought one game since launch.

I get no lag. The reports of lag that I've seen were fixed by choosing the gaming mode on your TV to remove the input processing (like you have to with high end bluetooth headsets).

There is no additional cost to developers. It's the same SDKs.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I'm happy with the Pro offering so far. A number of new games every month for the subscription (currently free). I've only bought one game since launch.

I get no lag. The reports of lag that I've seen were fixed by choosing the gaming mode on your TV to remove the input processing (like you have to with high end bluetooth headsets).

There is no additional cost to developers. It's the same SDKs.

That's not what I've heard, but hey-ho. 

The idea of Stadia is good, I just don't think it's decent value for money at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That's not what I've heard, but hey-ho. 

The idea of Stadia is good, I just don't think it's decent value for money at the moment. 

Free seems okay to me. That's why I challenged you about the "value proposition". How much would they have to pay you? 😀

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

How much was the controller + the 4K Subscription?

The subscription is for the free and discounted games. The 4k is a bonus (I've not tried it).

The controller was £119 with a bundled Chromecast Ultra (£69), three months of Pro subscription. I've paid for two months (£9 per month) and now another 2 months for free. I bought one game for £16. I've played about 10-15 hours a week since I got it.

That's seems reasonable to me. 

1 hour ago, limpid said:

The subscription is for the free and discounted games. The 4k is a bonus (I've not tried it).

The controller was £119 with a bundled Chromecast Ultra (£69), three months of Pro subscription. I've paid for two months (£9 per month) and now another 2 months for free. I bought one game for £16. I've played about 10-15 hours a week since I got it.

That's seems reasonable to me. 

I suppose it depends what kind of gamer you are. I hope they can make it work. 

@Delphinho123 , the current offer appears to not require a controller. Play from a Chrome browser or android app.

https://blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today

If you’re new, playing on Stadia is simple: 

• Go to Stadia.com to sign up
  • Download the Stadia app on Android or iOS
  • Play on your laptop, desktop or Chrome OS tablet with your favorite (HID compliant) USB supported controller or mouse and keyboard
  • Play over Wi-Fi on Pixel or many supported Android phones 

Nine games for you to work out whether lag is a problem for you.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, limpid said:

@Delphinho123 , the current offer appears to not require a controller. Play from a Chrome browser or android app.

https://blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today

Nine games for you to work out whether lag is a problem for you.

I’ll stick to my PS4. I’ve got GTAV, God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU, Horizon Zero Dawn and several other 90+ metacritic games in my library. Not some old codemasters title and Destiny (which is F2P anyway). 😉

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ll stick to my PS4. I’ve got GTAV, God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU, Horizon Zero Dawn and several other 90+ metacritic games in my library. Not some old codemasters title and Destiny (which is F2P anyway). 😉

I'm currently playinf Lost Worlds: Beyond the Page.

I gave my PS4 away.

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Get to know Stadia for a short fling before Google takes it out back and calmly puts 2 behind its ear.

I bet it lasts as long as a console generation, but with no up front cost.

• 3 months later...
On 19/03/2019 at 22:22, Davkaus said:

I give it until 2021 before it appears on https://killedbygoogle.com/

Step 1.

The service might last a bit longer than I expected, but not by much, I reckon.

https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-shuts-down-internal-studios-changing-bus-1846146761

Google Stadia, the late 2019 streaming platform that promised to revolutionize gaming by letting users stream games without needing to own a powerful PC or console, is altering course, getting out of the game-making business and will now offer its platform directly to game publishers alongside offering Stadia Pro to the public

The company is announcing the news today, though Kotaku began to hear rumblings from sources close to Stadia last week that Google’s service was heading for a major change. One games industry source told Kotaku that Google was canceling multiple projects, basically any games slated for release beyond a specific 2021 window, though they believed games close to release would still come out. Today brings some clarification.

Google will close its two game studios, located in Montreal and Los Angeles. Neither had released any games yet. That closure will impact around 150 developers, one source familiar with Stadia operations said. The company says it will try to find those developers new roles at Google.

Jade Raymond, the veteran producer who helped build Assassin’s Creed for Ubisoft and moved on to EA several years ago before leaving to run game creation at Stadia, is exiting the company, according to Google.

Google will continue to operate the Stadia gaming service and its $10 monthly Stadia Pro service. It’s unclear how many, if any, exclusive games will still come to the service, though the company has indicated that it can still sign new games and will bring more third-party releases to the platform. It nevertheless will look to many like a draw down of the plan to have Stadia run as a bona fide competitor to console platforms.

Edited by Davkaus

3 hours ago, limpid said:

They'll buy Steam at some point.

I honestly can't even imagine what would happen if they did that, they seem to be at complete opposite ends of the spectrum of how you run a company.

I couldn't see Newell selling while he's still able to run the company, but it'll be interesting to see what happens when he decides to retire. By the time that happens, it might not even be as attractive an acquisition as it is now, if Epic keep pushing their store.

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I honestly can't even imagine what would happen if they did that, they seem to be at complete opposite ends of the spectrum of how you run a company.

I couldn't see Newell selling while he's still able to run the company, but it'll be interesting to see what happens when he decides to retire. By the time that happens, it might not even be as attractive an acquisition as it is now, if Epic keep pushing their store.

Stadia needs content, especially now they've accepted the obvious that they can't do it themselves. Steam needs a streaming offering like the others have.

But who knows?

Supposedly the (very good) Cyberpunk release on Stadia is a bit of a red herring as well. It's actually had development to work well on Stadia. That means to get the best from the hardware the developer has to put on additional effort for it. Which they won't because the return isn't there.

Â