Stadia

dubbs

Google have officially announced their new streaming gaming platform. 

Stadia announced

Google has unveiled a new digital gaming platform called Stadia which will stream better-than-console-quality games that have traditionally had to be either downloaded or purchased on disk.

Lag is the big issue.

Sony and Microsoft have also invested in streaming services in the last few years, it's something that will be growing in stature in coming years but there's still hurdles to it. 

they have 2 stumbling blocks for me, price and internet speeds

1) for whatever reason PSN and Xbox both seem to be shit when it comes to the price of digital games, normally always the full RRP unless they have a sale on, this has to be a cheaper platform and i mean less than £40 a game level cheap, if they want people to pay normal prices for games then whats the point? the Xbone launch showed there's still a huge demand for physical games and the trade / resale market at the same time game pass has shown the need for a physical copy can be negated with great value for money

2) again i'll use the xbone launch disaster as an example, the online requirements meant that there were a significant number of quite large territories that couldnt access the machine (for some reason i seem to think the likes of portugal couldnt have an xbone at launch?) this will experience the same

its the future no doubt about it, its coming and people will jump on the bandwagon, this will be rivalled too, i dont think the 3 consoles will worry too much yet

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they have 2 stumbling blocks for me, price and internet speeds

1) for whatever reason PSN and Xbox both seem to be shit when it comes to the price of digital games, normally always the full RRP unless they have a sale on, this has to be a cheaper platform and i mean less than £40 a game level cheap, if they want people to pay normal prices for games then whats the point? the Xbone launch showed there's still a huge demand for physical games and the trade / resale market

Things have changed a bit in 6 years though, Far more people are on board with digital being the norm. sure it isn't for everyone and there would still be lots of crying but nowhere near as much as back in 2013

It's the future but definitely not now. Only a small percentage have Internet capable of doing this (you'd probably need 100mb broadband at least) and even then you'd have to put up with input lag.

Maybe when 5G comes out it will be a more viable option, as supposedly we'll be looking at 1GB speeds. 

Must admit the opening of the presentation, with the discussion of using gaming to progress AI development, before seamlessly moving onto how enormous and rich Google is.

It was like the perfect prologue to a Terminator movie.

Oh, cool, another Google service. I look forward to embracing it then them shutting it down.

better-than-console-quality games

aka...PC games? :lol:

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I've just watched the trailer and the announcement and two things jumped out at me.

Firstly, that's literally the worst trailer I've ever seen for anything. I feel somewhat sickened, and without further reading have no idea what the product is from watching that.

Secondly, you literally see the input lag in the GDC stream. I'm certain they're demoing this in as close to ideal conditions as possible and there's not only a noticeable delay between him hitting keys and things happening, but also artifcating. Sod that. Some games might be playable, turn based stuff, certainly, but any kind of action game, any kind of FPS, RTS, or sports game? Nah, I'll keep my hardware on premises, thanks. 

I also don't care what resolution and FPS the hardware is running at if I'm going to see artifacts locally. 

Edited by Davkaus

Not sure I'll ever be fully on board with this future. Now my reluctance isn't because of a lack of ownership of my games, I quite honestly don't give a shit about that. My reluctance comes from the latency. I game primarily on PC at 144Hz so I am used to almost non-existent latency. Stadia on the other hand has a latency of 188ms running Odyssey at 1080p 30FPS. Now sure Odyssey on Stadia looks about as good as the PC version, and it's far and away the prettiest "console" version of the game, but 188ms of delay is absurd. I just can't get excited for a future where gaming feels like a spongy and unresponsive mess which is Stadia as it stands right now.

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Haven't NVIDIA offered this for ages? 

I guess this means that you think NVIDIA are big?

Outside of PC gamers and techies I suspect very few people have heard of them.

Streaming and a subscription based gaming platform is the future but I think Google's announcement is too early. You need a big base of people with high speed internet for something like this to work. Currently (at least here anyway) telecoms companies advertise "high speed" broadband that isn't high speed at all. There's contention and peak use times so if you have the 25Mbps broadband Google say you need for this your actual average internet speed will be far less. When you come home from work and logon to Stadia your internet contention will cause huge issues. Also what's in it for the telecom's companies? Are most people going to pay extra for 100 Mbps broadband when they then have to pay a subscription for netflix, sky streaming and google stadia,  spotify etc.? 

For now there's a trade off between quality e.g. 4k and streaming ability. If you want high quality then you have to buy a PC, monitor, etc if you want to stream then you have to have far lesser quality but no expensive hardware to buy. There will be a tipping point when the gap between the two becomes small enough for something like Stadia to take over a huge market but it's still some distance away IMO. 

Finally there's only a handful of massive companies I can think of that can make something like this work e.g. Apple, Microsoft and Google. The likes of Nintendo, Valve or Sony don't have the infrastructure or the ability to absorb the initial high costs to get something like this off the ground. In theory it's a race between MS and Google to become the netflix of gaming. I think MS might eventually win the battle.  

Edited by villa89

43 minutes ago, limpid said:

I guess this means that you think NVIDIA are big?

Outside of PC gamers and techies I suspect very few people have heard of them.

I do yeah. They have a mcap to close of 30 times Nintendo I reckon. Obviously much smaller than Google, but still. 

Microsoft's Project xCloud that they announced last year at E3 is likely a better implementation. xCloud is going to supplement the more traditional console space rather than attempt to replace it and that's a very important difference. xCloud will coexist as Microsoft understand that it's going to take years, maybe even decades before xCloud is good enough to replace everything. On the other side Stadia lives and dies solely based on how well it works at launch, and based on initial reports of latency and compression then it's not looking great given it launches in a matter of months. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Microsoft's Project xCloud that they announced last year at E3 is likely a better implementation. xCloud is going to supplement the more traditional console space rather than attempt to replace it and that's a very important difference. xCloud will coexist as Microsoft understand that it's going to take years, maybe even decades before xCloud is good enough to replace everything. On the other side Stadia lives and dies solely based on how well it works at launch, and based on initial reports of latency and compression then it's not looking great given it launches in a matter of months. 

This is why I think MS will win the race. Their next console will be a halfway house to allow everyone access and they have experience in making their own games, releasing dev kits to third parties, etc.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Â