Stadia

dubbs

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Then I stop paying my sub and move to NVIDIA GeForce NOW or Steam / Borealis. Or one of the many other streaming options likely available by then.

This is a fair point, as long as we don't start getting streaming platform exclusives which I fear we almost certainly will

As for minimal costs to keep services online, well, tell it to Google Reader and Inbox users

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is a fair point, as long as we don't start getting streaming platform exclusives which I fear we almost certainly will

As for minimal costs to keep services online, well, tell it to Google Reader and Inbox users

I agree about the exclusives.

Reader was the root of them being forced to pay to show content in some jurisdictions (or were being threatened with this). It meant they were still actively having to work on/with it. Old games on a live platform don't require any work, just a little storage. The removal of old stuff is the norm on streaming services though.

All but one of the worthwhile features in Inbox are now in stock Gmail (I think only bundles is missing). Inbox is a bad example though as it never came out of beta. I had to tell my director that he couldn't have it on his work account as it was unlikely to graduate to a product.

Geforce NOW does everything this does better and you get to use it on an already existing library through various launchers. It has been restricted though due to certain developers pulling out for whatever reason, surely they would be happy at more people buying their games. The top tier you can pay for that uses a 3080 card has virtually no input lag which is what makes or breaks streaming games. 

The one with the most potential is definitely Xcloud though as it will support most of the Gamepass games, which everyone knows has an amazing library. Unfortunately the streaming service runs like shit at the moment and is unplayable for me. 

• 7 months later...
On 19/03/2019 at 22:04, Davkaus said:

Oh, cool, another Google service. I look forward to embracing it then them shutting it down.

aka...PC games? :lol:

And done. It lasted 3 years, not bad by Google's standards! 

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/29/23378713/google-stadia-shutting-down-game-streaming-january-2023

Google is refunding all Stadia purchases — hardware, software, and DLC. Members of the Stadia team will be “carrying this work forward” in other departments at Google.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

I am pleasantly surprised by this

Google will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchased through the Google Store as well as all the games and add-on content purchased from the Stadia store. Google expects those refunds will be completed in mid-January.

Not good enough though. I used to be a Google evangelist, but I've had far too many of the tools I used day in, day out taken away from me. 

I've moved away from Gmail and Google docs, my next phone probably won't be an Android, and the Nests and Chromecasts have been replaced with their competitor's products. I'll probably stick with Waze as it's best in class and trivial to swap out when needed, but unless there's a significant cultural change at Google, I'll not be investing in any of their services, or making any of the products a central part of my workflow, they simply can't be depended on. 

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

How annoying. \Where are people jumping to?

Xbox Game Pass includes streaming with the hundreds of games you get, and GeForce Now is a better service, also including games from your other PC stores. 

Stadia is caught in the middle of those two I guess, it had no chance. 

13 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Xbox Game Pass includes streaming with the hundreds of games you get, and GeForce Now is a better service, also including games from your other PC stores. 

Stadia is caught in the middle of those two I guess, it had no chance. 

I wonder if Google's play here is to buy Steam (if they want to continue with gaming). It would explain the current work with Steam on Chromebooks.

Do you know if GeForce Now has an Android app (for Chromecast)?

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

Any point keeping the controllers? Or just bin them?

i read somewhere that they will unlock them to be generic Bluetooth controllers. I don't have time to search it out again right now.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Even better, I've had all my refunds. All the hardware and games I bought have been refunded in full. Better still, the AC games are linked to Ubisoft's platform so I still have them on GeForce Now.

Â