Match Thread: Villa v Middlesbrough

limpid

57 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Don't see what Whelan offers in a game like this

I am gonna disagree with this as much as I have disagreed with anything for ages, Whelan has been absolutely fantastic today, kept the ball moving, won back possession and is always available, absolutely fantastic today as he has been for awhile

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicken Field said:

I am gonna disagree with this as much as I have disagreed with anything for ages, Whelan has been absolutely fantastic today, kept the ball moving, won back possession and is always available, absolutely fantastic today as he has been for awhile

Now that Boro are trying to go forward he has been important but before our first goal Whelan was useless imo.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Elmo is like a different player, what happened to him?

I always thought he was slightly better as an attacker, probably because his mistakes were less damaging. But I agree he’s improved beyond recognition. He used to make half a dozen mistakes a game but he’s really cut them out. Fair play to him and the coaches. 

1 minute ago, VillaAlex said:

I love El Ghazi's work rate at times, he can be a bit frustrating but he almost always puts in the yards to win the ball back when he loses it.

He’s hit and miss. Some weeks he’s great and really chases everything but sometimes he looks like he just can’t be arsed. Last week he was dreadful, lost the ball a lot and just didn’t bother chasing it.