Racism Part two

Demitri_C

Seems to be a fair few Leeds fans sticking up for it (albeit twitter makes for a terrible sample especially for football fans) 

The usual comments, why are we standing up for ab American criminal, soldiers get a minute silence once a year, that kind of thing

I don't think that it's that they don't get it, its that they don't want to get it and are trying to justify it 

A few asking when it will stop though which is a fair question, when will it stop? Once there is perceived equality? Wheres that barometer? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He was Roman, not Turkish afaik.

Visited his church/burial place in Bari. Was a bit funny.

I think he was born modern day Turkey but at the time was part of Roman Empire. 

Still I’m pretty sure many English think he was born here. 

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I would say he was Greek as both his parents were of Greek origin.

I'm not splitting hairs between Greek and Turkish tbh. I understand the argument that he lives large parts of his life in modern Turkey, but he was born in the territories of the Roman empire, thus I think branding him turkish is inaccurate.

If I remember the story correctly he came from a stupidly wealthy family where his father was a bishop or something. Thus it's unlikely he would have ever become what he was if he wasn't born within that empire.

Freddie Mercury was born in an African colony of BE was he not? Would anyone say he was Ugandan? Or where ever it was. 

Either way, not important I guess.

I’m not surprised to hear the Millwall fans were booing the taking of the knee. They’ve always had a sizeable racist element. To be fair, most football clubs have a portion of fans that are racist rocket polishers. Villa are no different, much as that pains me to say. Football fans are just one cross section of society. It’s the most popular sport in the world, people of all types follow it. The difference with those Millwall fans was they were on telly, whereas you’re average racist dickhead is out of sight, spouting his bollocks in the pub, or on Facebook. To me, the world seems more racist now than it’s ever been in the last 20 years. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm not splitting hairs between Greek and Turkish tbh. I understand the argument that he lives large parts of his life in modern Turkey, but he was born in the territories of the Roman empire, thus I think branding him turkish is inaccurate.

If I remember the story correctly he came from a stupidly wealthy family where his father was a bishop or something. Thus it's unlikely he would have ever become what he was if he wasn't born within that empire.

Freddie Mercury was born in an African colony of BE was he not? Would anyone say he was Ugandan? Or where ever it was. 

Fair points but his parents were both Greek so regardless of where he was born I would class him as Greek. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair points but his parents were bought Greek so regardless of where he was born I would class him as Greek. 

I would class him as highly unlikely to be white ;)

Which I think was the original point, tomato or tomato he would have been olive skinned 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Freddie  Mercury was born in an African colony of BE was he not? Would anyone say he was Ugandan? Or where ever it was. 

Zanzibar .. I’ve been to the house he lived in , in Stonetown 

Slightly off topic but I heard yesterday that Kim Jong whatever is name holds the course record at the main North Korean golf course, did he shoot an 11 under par 60 or maybe a 59? No he shot at 34 allegedly and he had only ever played golf once and that was his only round. All hail Kim

46 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m not surprised to hear the Millwall fans were booing the taking of the knee. They’ve always had a sizeable racist element. To be fair, most football clubs have a portion of fans that are racist rocket polishers. Villa are no different, much as that pains me to say. Football fans are just one cross section of society. It’s the most popular sport in the world, people of all types follow it. The difference with those Millwall fans was they were on telly, whereas you’re average racist dickhead is out of sight, spouting his bollocks in the pub, or on Facebook. To me, the world seems more racist now than it’s ever been in the last 20 years. 

Millwall players released a statement before the game to say they supported the knee ... doesn’t seem to have made any difference 

their statement alludes to the “knee “ stopping in the new year and the club doing something else ... think that’s a club thing rather than an all clubs thing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Slightly off topic but I heard yesterday that Kim Jong whatever is name holds the course record at the main North Korean golf course, did he shoot an 11 under par 60 or maybe a 59? No he shot at 34 allegedly and he had only ever played golf once and that was his only round. All hail Kim

Complete crap I’m afraid it’s used by the South  as a means of ridiculing the Kim family .

in the North it’s well known that he never stepped foot on a golf course  , it’s all also well known he never went bowling ( in regards to the other myth about him bowling a perfect 300 ) 

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Complete crap I’m afraid it’s used by the South  as a means of ridiculing the Kim family .

in the North it’s well known that he never stepped foot on a golf course  , it’s all also well known he never went bowling ( in regards to the other myth about him bowling a perfect 300 ) 

I heard he invented the bicycle kick. I think it was him anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Millwall fans are scum. Always have been always will be. Regardless of what happened today. 

Funny enough I’ve got a couple of mates who are staunch Millwall South Londoners who are the nicest possible people you would want to spend time with, you would not want to cross them though. Most of them my age or above are completely anti racist and look down at the younger lot who are extremely racist. It’s only been the case in the last 10 or 15 years that the racist element could come to the forefront because the older lot would’ve give them a slap

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Shame he's not eligible for the Ryder Cup. 

• Haha 1

Â