Racism Part two

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Sir Robert Peel statue in Tamworth being boarded up to protect it today (after a different Robert Peel was outed as being racist).

We are living in an episode of Black Mirror

• Like 1

You have to wonder where all this stops now.

There's something about going back in history to judge people based on standards that have developed over potentially hundreds of years that doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Then on the other hand, I abhor racism.

Surely there's a way we can move forward from this without tearing up history, I mean if all symbols of oppression etc need to now be removed from sight and mind then you might as well bulldoze most of the western world and start all over again given how much of it has been built off the blood and sweat of the oppressed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Sting is a massive racist.

Hundred percent on the money. He even brought out an album called white reggae because he can’t stand black man reggae but disguised the fact by putting the name in French On the cover to throw people

• Confused 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I mean if all symbols of oppression etc need to now be removed from sight and mind then you might as well bulldoze most of the western world and start all over again given how much of it has been built off the blood and sweat of the oppressed.

The Royal Family made millions from Nazi concentration camps yet I have little choice but  to carry pics of Liz in my pocket as currency.

Modern life is rubbish.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You have to wonder where all this stops now.

There's something about going back in history to judge people based on standards that have developed over potentially hundreds of years that doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Then on the other hand, I abhor racism.

Surely there's a way we can move forward from this without tearing up history, I mean if all symbols of oppression etc need to now be removed from sight and mind then you might as well bulldoze most of the western world and start all over again given how much of it has been built off the blood and sweat of the oppressed.

Probably when people have to go back to work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

They've just released a new one where it's Elton John at first and becomes a rapper when he's eaten his Snickers.

I shit you not.

Have a 'kn word. really?

• Haha 1

It blows my mind how difficult it is for some people to understand nuance and context. The Wire is one of the most ‘woke’ and liberal tv shows out there. The Office takes the piss out of ignorant bigots. I really can’t understand why some people have such difficulty working out why some things are no longer acceptable but others are. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It blows my mind how difficult it is for some people to understand nuance and context. The Wire is one of the most ‘woke’ and liberal tv shows out there. The Office takes the piss out of ignorant bigots. I really can’t understand why some people have such difficulty working out why some things are no longer acceptable but others are. 

What do you think of only fools and horses ?

Just now, LondonLax said:

To be honest I’ve never actually watched it. It was a bit before my time and I didn’t grow up in the UK.

It’s classic comedy.  Many people love it but it will definitely be considered racist in this day and age.  I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned.

Where did you grow up of you don’t mind me asking?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s classic comedy.  Many people love it but it will definitely be considered racist in this day and age.  I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned.

I’m Australian, lived in the UK for 10 years and now live in Sweden.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

24 million watched one episode alone. is there anything that can match that today. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair I haven’t heard anything about it being taken down. There probably hasn’t been any suggestion of it either. 

nor me but it was such a brilliant sitcom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Hundred percent on the money. He even brought out an album called white reggae because he can’t stand black man reggae but disguised the fact by putting the name in French On the cover to throw people

Go on I am intrigued. I hate Sting, I despise reggae,  I loathe white man reggae. Any of your post, direct me to a source. I can’t see a secret album by him anywhere named white reggae. 

Â