Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

according to VT -

didnt react quick enough to sanson's bad pass

marked his man rather than picking up the runner vs utd

i shit you not...

The people trying to pin that on Mings was quite hilarious.

• Like 3

Just now, villa4europe said:

according to VT -

didnt react quick enough to sanson's bad pass

marked his man rather than picking up the runner vs utd

i shit you not...

Sanson and Luiz makes mistakes, Mings closes down and doesn't dive in and risk a red card he stands strong. Konsa gets goal side of Cavani. 

When they went over that on video at Bodymoor heath. Gerrard will be saying 1 mistake in this area of the pitch shouldn't lead to a goal. The second mistake was Luiz was ball watching and pointing. Konsa and Mings react. 

Konsa wasn't goal side of Cavani when the mistake came from Sanson. Luiz had 2 yards on Fernandes and not once does he even check he's there. 

Sanson and Luiz made mistakes and we conceded. Luiz is always thinking about the attacking game, he is suited to playing an 8 due to these defensive issues as he is excellent in possession, shields the ball wall and has vision and passing skill. 

Anyway. Mings avoided any mistake by not diving in and stood up forcing a pass and blocking route to goal and a shooting opportunity. He did his job and Konsa did too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Can’t remember the game. Maybe it was Everton but I feel like the only real mistake he’s had under Gerrard was accidentally kicking the ball out of bounds on a pass to Martinez giving the opponent a corner. But I’ll defer to his detractors so they can hop in and enlighten us on all his negatives.

Yep, I was praying for him that they didn’t score from that corner. 

• Like 2

Mings is an excellent defender. His and Konsa's weaknesses are they're not ball playing defenders. Which is why I see that new signing in Summer who will really compete with them being a player who will have passing stats well up in the 60+ percentile range for CBs.

Calum Chambers is very very high on the passing stats, which is to be expected having played an entire Prem season as a CDM. I can see Gerrard deciding what type of skill to prioritise next season between the defensive solidity of Mings/Konsa vs passing and build up play from say a Gomez/Chambers. 

I think the way to beat the top teams is to beat their press. So we need those passing press resistant CBs, where bottom half teams may rely on set pieces  etc.. and allow easy possession for us from the back and defend with a low block. It will be good to have the options at CB

• Like 2

Defensively we really can't get a CB who is so good at organising the team, is a great defender and very experienced. He has also created goals by carrying the ball out from defence which created an overload on left side against United and got us a goal. 

We'll end up signing a different type of CB, Gomez for example.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Can’t remember the game. Maybe it was Everton but I feel like the only real mistake he’s had under Gerrard was accidentally kicking the ball out of bounds on a pass to Martinez giving the opponent a corner. But I’ll defer to his detractors so they can hop in and enlighten us on all his negatives.

This mistake really wound me up tbf.

I'm a Mings defender although I know he switches off from time to time, stuff like that mistake is so uneccesary and makes it infinitely harder to defend him.

Nothing came from the corner though, so all's well that ends well

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yorke81 said:

Can’t agree here - to me one of the strengths of Mings is his ability to pass the ball put of defense.

On the ground in the feet of the midfielders, longer passes to wingers or in behind the defense for the strikers. He is far above average in all types of passes in my mind - but could be statistics won’t agree with me?

I see a similar line of argument with Buendia losing the ball via misplaced passes. (Completely ignoring the fact he sets up so many attacks).

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I see a similar line of argument with Buendia losing the ball via misplaced passes. (Completely ignoring the fact he sets up so many attacks).

Think FIFA might have warped some perspectives. All passes and dribbles need to be perfect otherwise it's not good enough.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MSvillain said:

This mistake really wound me up tbf.

I'm a Mings defender although I know he switches off from time to time, stuff like that mistake is so uneccesary and makes it infinitely harder to defend him.

Nothing came from the corner though, so all's well that ends well

I think people are watching closely for any mistake on Mings to jump on it. The same people ignore the countless ones Luiz makes for example. Or JJ for Brentfords goal before halftime, he didn't track his man, he was ahead of him and goal side of him. Oh he's young we should let him off. But not Mings for giving away a corner that they didn't score from!!

Mings main problems were concentration lapses, but he seems to be more focussed since Gerrard has come in.

On 01/02/2022 at 07:56, Dale said:

The idea of Mings going to barcodes is laughable. His personal brand and beliefs are way too ethical to take the Saudi coin... 

Oh come on. If they offer insane wages and a ridiculous transfer fee to Villa he would be off quicker than you can say ethical.

Football is money. Money is football. 

52 minutes ago, Yorke81 said:

Can’t agree here - to me one of the strengths of Mings is his ability to pass the ball put of defense.

On the ground in the feet of the midfielders, longer passes to wingers or in behind the defense for the strikers. He is far above average in all types of passes in my mind - but could be statistics won’t agree with me?

His passes attempted is in the bottom 25% of all CBs in top 5 leagues. His passes completed is bottom 12%. People are just assuming because Konsa is in the bottom 6% of passes attempted that Mings is good at it. They're both nowhere near the level required by Gerrard in build from the back system. 

Mings is far better than Konsa at this and I do think he's improving but he's not where we need to get to. Mings / Gomez partnership looks good to me in the right games. 

44 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think people are watching closely for any mistake on Mings to jump on it. The same people ignore the countless ones Luiz makes for example. Or JJ for Brentfords goal before halftime, he didn't track his man, he was ahead of him and goal side of him. Oh he's young we should let him off. But not Mings for giving away a corner that they didn't score from!!

Mings main problems were concentration lapses, but he seems to be more focussed since Gerrard has come in.

Oh yeah I completely agree, has a target on his back for some reason.

Not forgetting (as other posters have pointed out) he takes a lot of responsibility for playing the ball out and taking the pressure off of Konsa.

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Mings / Gomez partnership looks good to me in the right games. 

Is this the same Gomez who's had what seems like years out with injury after injury? If we can get him next to nothing then maybe but any decent fee for him and I would be very wary.

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

Is this the same Gomez who's had what seems like years out with injury after injury? If we can get him next to nothing then maybe but any decent fee for him and I would be very wary.

You mean, like Mings?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tinker said:

Yes beside Mings who also had "what seems like a year out with injury". In same squad as Ings "who had what seems like a year out with injury". We also have Trezeguet who has "what seems like less than a year out with Injury"

Â