Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Again attitude referred to. What is this attitude everyone speaks of? He's frequently praised for how he comes across so what is it about his talking off the pitch that bothers you?

His attitude on the pitch, annoys me. He got booked yesterday for being a dick and then he played like one for the rest of the game. He loves the sound of his own voice off the pitch, I want him to be a footballer, not an ambassador. If he’s playing well and not making errors week in week out, maybe it wouldn’t bother me so much. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Mings has far too many mistakes in him to be a really top centre- half.

Tuanzebe seemed to think the football was a hot potato. Tbf, I wouldn't have dropped Hause. He wasn't the worst player at Spurs, by any means. 

I totally agree.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Mings has far too many mistakes in him to be a really top centre- half.

Tuanzebe seemed to think the football was a hot potato. Tbf, I wouldn't have dropped Hause. He wasn't the worst player at Spurs, by any means. 

Smith said he played Tuanzebe because he thought Jimenez was playing, thought this was odd as Jimenez best attribute is his aerial threat. I agree Hause should have kept his place and even more so if they thought Jimenez was playing. 

He's usually a good defender of the box when under the cosh but I think as a team we should be moving away from that mindset.  I think sadly he has some obvious mental issues and the decision to make him captain has been a disaster.  I don't think he needed the extra pressure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Again attitude referred to. What is this attitude everyone speaks of? He's frequently praised for how he comes across so what is it about his talking off the pitch that bothers you?

I have no issue with his off the pitch activities. I think the racism problem is something he articulates very well and long may he continue.  It's the on the pitch I'm concerned with, far too casual at the wrong moments and it has a habit of being costly. 

I get his leadership abilities, but that focus needs to be working for 90 minutes.  Until he cuts out the lapses of concentration then he has to expect criticism. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I have no issue with his off the pitch activities. I think the racism problem is something he articulates very well and long may he continue.  It's the on the pitch I'm concerned with, far too casual at the wrong moments and it has a habit of being costly. 

I get his leadership abilities, but that focus needs to be working for 90 minutes.  Until he cuts out the lapses of concentration then he has to expect criticism. 

nor do i...but seems there's definitely a section of the fanbase, both online and on here, that seems to have issues with him on a personal level and not just on a footballing level and i don't get why. someone above even just said how he apparently loves the sound of his own voice and they don't want him to be an ambassador. i wonder if you get utd fans saying similar about rashford.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, troon_villan said:

He's usually a good defender of the box when under the cosh but I think as a team we should be moving away from that mindset.  I think sadly he has some obvious mental issues and the decision to make him captain has been a disaster.  I don't think he needed the extra pressure.

That shouldn't be considered pressure imo, it's a privilege.  He's very vocal ,so for me, he was the ideal candidate for captain. 

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

nor do i...but seems there's definitely a section of the fanbase, both online and on here, that seems to have issues with him on a personal level and not just on a footballing level and i don't get why. someone above even just said how he apparently loves the sound of his own voice and they don't want him to be an ambassador. i wonder if you get utd fans saying similar about rashford.

You're always going to get opposition even to the noblest of causes. Some people aren't happy unless they're hating.

• Like 1

I think he's a decent bloke, who says and does all the right things off the pitch.

But on the pitch he can only be judged by the football qualities he shows week in week out, for me 80% of the time he is immense at marshalling his lines, making clearances and getting blocks in, not sure how much his barking of orders does to his team mates. But 20% of the time he makes costly mistakes.

His distribution and general body language can be very casual or poor, he seems to pass back or sideways and put his own players under more pressure needlessly, his one outlet is Targett who goes nowhere because he no longer has Grealish running ahead of him looking for the pass.

He also is prone to errors, he's not the only one though, but he is our captain and we expect a lot from him.

He shouldn't be hated for his errors/lapses and I don't think he has a poor attitude on the pitch at all, he's just not quite as good as we or he thinks he is and it is costing us goals.

I think Konsa and Axel have been awful at times, Targett has been dire also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

there's definitely a theme with the criticism of mings. i don't agree with the above because i don't know him personally and always thought he comes across quite humble, certainly never sensed that he think's himself as better than he is. this theme continues on social media too. i'm curious to know what about him has caused folks to feel this way about him?

this seems to be a theme on social media too...why does it bother people so much??

I’m a big fan of Tyrone but he never comes back from international duty as the same player that left , to much swagger and not enough action , he’ll settle down after a couple of weeks but it will be the same again after the next load of training sessions with GS and Engerlaand 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

think Konsa and Axel have been awful at times, Targett has been dire also.

There has definitely been a loss of form in defensive positions and that is currently effecting results. I don’t know if that is as a result of the change in formation or just one of those things that happens from time to time. 

I thought before the start of last season, that we lacked depth in central defence. As it turned out we were fine and largely unchanged in those positions. The further development of both Mings and particularly  Enzri Konsa, on top of being fortunate with injuries, perhaps made us complacent in those positions. Add the fact that Cash had a great first season and Matt Targett was one of our best players and we really have maybe taken our eye off the ball recruitment wise in terms of defence.

We have a 36 year old and the odd promising kid as defensive cover. So nobody is really playing for their place and we have no defensive cover. Or perhaps I’m just worrying unnecessarily? 

16 minutes ago, Chine said:

I’m a big fan of Tyrone but he never comes back from international duty as the same player that left , to much swagger and not enough action , he’ll settle down after a couple of weeks but it will be the same again after the next load of training sessions with GS and Engerlaand 

Perhaps Tyrone just needs more time for Gareth Southgate to develop him properly just like he did with Jack Grealish. Southgate clearly models his style on Pepe and got Grealish ready for Pepe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Until he cuts out the lapses of concentration then he has to expect criticism. 

At his stage of his career and is time with Villa I really can't see how that can be fixed. It is could surely it would have been done by now

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We have a 36 year old and the odd promising kid as defensive cover. So nobody is really playing for their place and we have no defensive cover. Or perhaps I’m just worrying unnecessarily? 

I would have much preferred to see Guilbert come on for Cash yesterday, I would love to know what happen there. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think he's a decent bloke, who says and does all the right things off the pitch.

But on the pitch he can only be judged by the football qualities he shows week in week out, for me 80% of the time he is immense at marshalling his lines, making clearances and getting blocks in, not sure how much his barking of orders does to his team mates. But 20% of the time he makes costly mistakes.

His distribution and general body language can be very casual or poor, he seems to pass back or sideways and put his own players under more pressure needlessly, his one outlet is Targett who goes nowhere because he no longer has Grealish running ahead of him looking for the pass.

He also is prone to errors, he's not the only one though, but he is our captain and we expect a lot from him.

He shouldn't be hated for his errors/lapses and I don't think he has a poor attitude on the pitch at all, he's just not quite as good as we or he thinks he is and it is costing us goals.

I think Konsa and Axel have been awful at times, Targett has been dire also.

I agree with that. A big problem with defenders is that they are less likely to get away with an error than any other position on the pitch. Having a CB that is immense for 80% of the time is not much use. Its like saying the brakes in my are are excellent but the don't work every now and then. Mings needs to be upgraded imo

I actually think the 5-3-2 doesn't help Mings at all.

He seems to the defender we use to distribute the ball out from the back; and in the 5-3-2, with Luiz dropping back and the full backs with no wingers in front of them, he just has nobody to pass to. McGinn and Buendia were available yesterday in the middle of the pitch but heavily marked; and so Mings kept having to play pointlessly long balls forward.

His distribution is one of Mings strong points and the 4-3-3 allowed this to work much better. An out ball can easily be to a full back, and then straight onto a winger.

Defensively I don't know what happened yesterday, but it was a combination of errors rather than all on Mings.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would have much preferred to see Guilbert come on for Cash yesterday, I would love to know what happen there. 

I think that Leicester debacle was the beginning of the end for Fred and his comments last season when he was loaned out would have done him no favours at all.  A shame really because he had a nice rapport with the fan's. 

21 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I’d forgotten about him. For some reason he seems to be just drifting out of existence. 

Â