Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Ah ol'Slabhead the wonderful comedy defender who is allegedly world class because scumchester United overpaid for him and because ex Valencia manager Gary Neville thinks so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think the problem with mings is he is a defender not a footballer.

When it's tough...have to dig in...headers...block tackles he is fine.

But when it comes to playing football he struggles...decision making passing for example...he saw a lot of the ball Saturday and just stood there...didnt soak up the space...struggled for a pass.

He is a good player but maybe there is more in to this confidence thing mentioned in summer 

• Like 1

I dont think Mings has been any different than other seasons. Konsa has had a huge drop off in form and Tuanzebe has been dreadful 

Hause has probably been the best of the 4  this season but has had limited games

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Mings has been any different than other seasons. Konsa has had a huge drop off in form and Tuanzebe has been dreadful 

Hause has probably been the best of the 4  this season but has had limited games

It’s still early days in to the season, we have only played 8 matches. Give the players some time before making these rash statements. They are still gelling as a team, just be patient, it doesn’t happen straight away

44 minutes ago, Risso said:

The defence has played together for ages, so that doesn't wash at all.

I think only Tuanzebe gets a bit of a pass from a gelling POV, but as you rightly say the rest have played together as a unit for 12 months.

31 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I think only Tuanzebe gets a bit of a pass from a gelling POV, but as you rightly say the rest have played together as a unit for 12 months.

But not in a back 5. I think that matters to an extent - they are not slotting into long familiar roles and tactics.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

But not in a back 5. I think that matters to an extent - they are not slotting into long familiar roles and tactics.

I know what you’re saying, maybe I’m being a bit harsh in that respect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, blandy said:

The defensive problems we’ve witnessed so far this season are not system related, they are individual errors. It’s been infuriating because it seems to have gone back to the way it was at the start of our first season back. Teams don’t need to build pressure or create chances through quality play, they just need to wait for the individual errors to occur.

I do wonder whether we are missing JT. He used to spend lots of time working with each defender looking at their individual responsibilities. Until we cut out the multiple errors we won’t see the best of any formation.

27 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The defensive problems we’ve witnessed so far this season are not system related, they are individual errors. It’s been infuriating because it seems to have gone back to the way it was at the start of our first season back. Teams don’t need to build pressure or create chances through quality play, they just need to wait for the individual errors to occur.

I do wonder whether we are missing JT. He used to spend lots of time working with each defender looking at their individual responsibilities. Until we cut out the multiple errors we won’t see the best of any formation.

You wonder if the distraction of playing slightly ’out of position’ due to the formation is causing the errors? I know it seems like basics, but perhaps it is having an effect on them.

I don't understand how he can look every bit an England international one day and then the next he's making crazy errors, getting caught out of position and hoofing nervously up the field. I guess thats the difference between world class and decent prem player.

The frustrating thing is you can apply that to almost all of our players.

Edited by AVFCDAN

29 minutes ago, Risso said:

Another reason to stop bloody using it then. All we’re doing is shoehorning in a reserve central defender, which isn’t improving the defence at all. In return, we lose width going forwards, and we’ve got Watkins and Ings looking about as effective a partnership as McCormack and Hogan.

Yeah. I hope we can go back to a 4 at the back for most games when we've got some wide players fit, instead of having to use the full backs to provide all the width. 5 at the back can be effective in some games, but it's not ideal for the players we have with a fully fit squad.

I think in terms of Tyrone and the Wolves game, it was not defenders not doing their jobs, it was more our attackers in our box switching off at the end. Tyrone saved our bacon when Axel gave the ball straight to a Wolf from that free kick in the first half. He had an OK game overall. Nothing more than that, but he wasn't why we lost.

• Like 2

Even with Bailey and Traore out, we could still have played 4-3-3. Ramsey, McGinn and Luiz in the middle, Danny Ings as number 9 with two of Watkins/Buendia/El Ghazi/Philogene-Bidace either side of him in a front three.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Risso said:

Even with Bailey and Traore out, we could still have played 4-3-3. Ramsey, McGinn and Luiz in the middle, Danny Ings as number 9 with two of Watkins/Buendia/El Ghazi/Philogene-Bidace either side of him in a front three.

Sure. What would the score have been? Would the same injuries have occurred? would the same players have made the defensive mistakes? Would Tyrone have got booked for dawdling at a free kick? Sliding doors.

What we did do didn't work for 90 minutes, so we should have definitely done it different v Some players switched off and cost us the game, it wasn't the formation that cost us.

Either way, Tyrone Mings would have played in the side and would likely have performed similarly, IMO. We were 2-0 up and cruising after whatever it was, 70 minutes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Risso said:

But the argument runs that the defenders including Mings aren’t used to the 3 at the back, and so are making more mistakes.

I thought it was your argument that it doesn't improve the defence and it is to the detriment of the offence? (that's what you said somewhere up above) -   I think my view is not much different to that, too, in that there's more familiarity with their roles in a 4, but that in games (like Chelsea and Man U away) where we don't have much of the ball anyway, a 5 provides more solidity, and I agree that in home games it hampers our ability to attack as well as we might do with a 4 at the back.

It's less (for me) about Tyrone or other defenders making more or fewer mistakes (I don't see that's changed really) and more about instinctive passes, patterns of attacking play and options for passing the ball out from the back.

• Like 1

Â