Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

The attitude thing is pretty simple and I’m surprised some don’t see it. He struts around the pitch like he’s the best player in the world, gives his smug little smirks and laughs, gives shit to whoever and then when he’s get the ball or the ball comes near him he plays like a bag of dicks. I’d be so so so pro selling him whilst he’s in the England team. So criminally overrated it’s unreal he’s an absolute liability. Him and Konsa are day and night 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

The attitude thing is pretty simple and I’m surprised some don’t see it. He struts around the pitch like he’s the best player in the world, gives his smug little smirks and laughs, gives shit to whoever and then when he’s get the ball or the ball comes near him he plays like a bag of dicks. I’d be so so so pro selling him whilst he’s in the England team. So criminally overrated it’s unreal he’s an absolute liability. Him and Konsa are day and night 

I don't think he is as water tight as when we first had him.

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

In fairness to him, he's captain of the team and leader of the defence, and to some extent he needs to show some swagger as one of the elder pros now at the club. That doesn't bother me.

I don't think he's overrated tbh. Nobody is mentioning him in the same breath as McGrath, Laursen, etc. He's rightly seen as one of our best signings in recent years, because he was instrumental in getting us promoted, and has turned out to be a real bargain as a Premier League player. He also seems to genuinely love the club, and he demands the best from his teammates.

The issue (and I don't think he'll ever fix this, because I think it's just who he is) is the inconsistency and the little mistakes. Partly that's just natural talent - he's a bit clumsy on the ball. Partly he seems to have 1 game in 5 or 6 where he really stinks the place out.

But he's still one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. I don't really know what people expect unless we go out and spend £60m+ on a Champions League CB. Most of the English defenders who get listed as supposedly miles better than him... just aren't. It's easy for someone like Tarkowski to look like a great defender when he just sits on the edge of the box clearing the ball and bodying people in an unadventurous Burnley side. Those teams are set up to make the defenders look good.

As for selling him? Okay yes, he's 28 and in England squad, so now's the time to cash in, in theory. But given the cost of replacing him with a reliable first-choice LCB, I'd be very surprised if this worked out in our favour. Who would we bring in?

• Like 3

Mings isn't overrated whatsoever. I've rarely ever seen an opposition fan rate him and a good portion of Villa fans have something against him so how does that work? 

For what it's worth I thought he was playing well yesterday until he got that yellow card, then for some reason he lost his head and well it all went downhill. He's a midtable player playing for a midtable club, some good weeks and some bad ones. Knowing Mings he'll probably deliver a mega performance in a couple weeks or whatever and we'll all be back to sucking him off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I don't think Mings was great against Wolves - but that's true of a number of other players too (Tuanzebe, Watkins, Konsa. Yes - Konsa!).

He seems to cop a fair amount of criticism - some of which is warranted - but the majority of it seems to be misplaced. Things like "he struts around like he's the boss" or "he spends too much time organizing everyone else" or "he chews gum while he's playing" or "he's got an attitude". All that stuff is immaterial.

The only part I can point to is the weird yellow card. Completely unnecessary and totally on him.

Other than that, he performed MUCH better than his usual England counterpart Maguire - who was directly responsible for 3 of the 4 goals ManUre conceded against Leicester - and all for around 60 mill less.

He's very good value for us and he's never going to be perfect. But he's really NOT the scapegoat for our loss. That's down to the team collectively.

Help me understand the yellow though. My understanding was the team had been warned about time wasting by the ref and the time he finally chose to penalize Villa happened to be when Mings was taking it. Or was there something different to what Mings was doing? 

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Help me understand the yellow though. My understanding was the team had been warned about time wasting by the ref and the time he finally chose to penalize Villa happened to be when Mings was taking it. Or was there something different to what Mings was doing? 

It was a weird one.

Originally, somebody other than Mings lined up to take the free kick, then left it for Mings. That's taken some time already.

Then Mings steps forward and walks past the stationary ball by about 3 yards while barking out instructions for the next 10 seconds or so to the rest of the team.

The ref is unimpressed and takes this as an obvious time wasting effort and produces a yellow card.

I really think if he stayed behind the ball and did the same, he would have been fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

It was a weird one.

Originally, somebody other than Mings lined up to take the free kick, then left it for Mings. That's taken some time already.

Then Mings steps forward and walks past the stationary ball by about 3 yards while barking out instructions for the next 10 seconds or so to the rest of the team.

The ref is unimpressed and takes this as an obvious time wasting effort and produces a yellow card.

I really think if he stayed behind the ball and did the same, he would have been fine.

I also find the reaction to someone getting a yellow card for time wasting to be a bit odd. In the ground there was a lot of "how stupid can you be?" and "that's always a yellow card" when in fact it seems to be pretty random when a referee decides to book a player for wasting time or not.

For a case in point I thought the moment when he threw the ball over the keepers head as he went to take a goal kick was more stupid and probably more of a yellow card. 

It frustrates me when a ref can't give basic yellow cards for cynical fouls which stop a counter attack but manages to find his card to book a player at the first sign of time wasting particularly when he allows other players to waste more time.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Spoony said:

We should be trying to flog him to the Toon in Jan

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Surely the answer is in your post. Time to upgrade

I put that first to be honest, but then deleted it, for others not to shoot me down saying he is our level. I actually think he has hardly got any better since we signed him, maybe a little more arrogant, that's about it. Still like the guy though, but as you say, might be time.

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Great character, far too many errors though still. Not sure of the answer, although as someone has already said, thinks far to much of himself than the team.

IS he a great character? Seems like an utter knob and loses his head. Hardly a great leader. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I put that first to be honest, but then deleted it, for others not to shoot me down saying he is our level. I actually think he has hardly got any better since we signed him, maybe a little more arrogant, that's about it. Still like the guy though, but as you say, might be time.

I think he is a great guy, I have a lot of time for him. But, imo, he is not good enough for Aston Villa. His footballing skills would be good enough but the main problem is his inconsistency. Thanks for the service Tyrone but it is time to move on

• Like 1

Â