Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I absolutely think there's a large element of racism.

Tyrone, because he's a prominent, confident and eloquent black man who speaks out on social justice causes, will unfortunately have people who hate him because he says things they don't want to hear. With sportspeople it's even worse because there is another element of people who will slate him because he's "just a dumb footballer and shouldn't have opinions", and in addition you have people who hate him because he's an excellent player who plays for an opposition club.

This happens everywhere there are eloquent, activist black sportspeople. Look at Kaepernick. Look at Lewis Hamilton. Look at LeBron. Look at Simone Biles. For the Australians on the forum, an very prominent case over here was Adam Goodes, a legendary Indigenous Aussie Rules player who toward the end of his career took a bit of a stand against the racism he faced and started to get booed by sections of the crowd at every game, by people who would say they weren't doing it for racist reasons, but didn't do it for the first 15 years of his career until he spoke out.

Tyrone has become my favourite Villa player since I started following in the late 90s. His performances are a big part of that, but i'm also so proud to have someone like Tyrone represent us. Just everything you want in a Villa player as a player and person.

Who’s the poster on here who can’t stand him? Believe he said Tyrone’s a knob after running into him twice.

20 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Who’s the poster on here who can’t stand him? Believe he said Tyrone’s a knob after running into him twice.

He never said he couldn't stand him but did say the two times he's met him he wasn't impressed. What's that gotta do with racism anyway?

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

FWIW I don't think the Mings dislike or hatred from other fans is anywhere near as deep as a few on here think it is. Other clubs' fans probably aren't even aware how intelligent he is, or how many issues he speaks out on. Maybe there are some pathetic individuals who hold this kind of thing against him but I'd guess the majority aren't even aware of it.

I think he's viewed as a bit of an aggressive player who likes the physical battles, and these players can be easy to boo/hate on. And Mings thrives on it. Also, I certainly think the two stamps (accidental or not, I think they were accidental FWIW) altered people's viewpoints as well. If you're supporting a side playing against Mings and he's getting the better of your forward (often the case), all of a sudden you're willing to hold this kind of thing against him.

From a footballing side, he certainly did used to have mistakes in him so we can surely see where people are coming from there? But since Emery has come in I think it's widely acknowledged that he's been playing well and much improved?

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He never said he couldn't stand him but did say the two times he's met him he wasn't impressed. What's that gotta do with racism anyway?

Nothing necessarily. But we got someone amongst our midst who dislikes Mings based off two meetings but never elaborated. Might as well do some interrogating to see what the true source of his dislike stems from.

5 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

to be fair there's a few on here that used to constantly criticise and unfairly attribute goals conceded to ty that have gone quiet...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

I think the main reason why a lot of football fans in general don't rate him as highly as they should is because he has an (unfair) reputation as always having a clanger in him.

Villa fans believed that bollocks too!

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

I think the main reason why a lot of football fans in general don't rate him as highly as they should is because he has an (unfair) reputation as always having a clanger in him.

IMG_6763.jpeg

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

He had, until Emery came in and seems to have fixed that.

• Like 3

He's definitely been better, and more consistent to boot, since Emery came in. 

He did make some mistakes, as does every other defender in the league. He now makes fewer.

It's also a factor that Konsa has been better, the defensive midfield better, and our overall shape has been better.

So he's not even being exposed as much or put into a position where he can make a mistake as often. His role is simplified, as is every other Villa players, because they're being given more strict instructions. He has more touches per game, but they're all very much predictable and repeatable.

The clangers dropped from being exposed due to a runner not being tracked, a Konsa being out of position because he's covering a wing back that isn't where he should be, a ball played in from a dangerous position where the winger had all the time in the world to pick his spot... they aren't happening because the situations aren't arising with anywhere near the same regularity. 

Mings is absolutely part of the improvement, and he's had to get better on the ball and better decision making when picking and playing a pass. The fact he's done that virtually error free shows he's stepped up.  Very few of us would have expected him to be as good as he has shown he can be in that department 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

There is that but I think the main reason as to why non villa fans seem to dislike him is because of his activism.

Edited by Pinebro

50 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

There is that but I think the main reason as to why non villa fans seem to dislike him is because of his activism.

Based on what?

I wasn't a huge Mings fan - he did have a rick in him and he seemed to allow certain strikers - eg Bamford and Zaha - to get into his head and ruin his game.  I think opposition fans will have seen this as well.  He has absolutely addressed that since UE has arrived and is rightly now one of if not the first names on the team sheet.

I don't agree with BLM as an organisation although I am all for the removal of racism, but I respect Tyrone's right to participate if he believes that is the right way to achieve the removal of racism and I would think most reasonable minded opposition fans would feel the same. The jump to an assumption that most people revert to racism when it's an opposition player is somewhat lazy imho e.g. I dislike Zaha, but it's not because he is black but rather because he is a diver - I do think he is a good player though. If people don't like black players per se I'm not sure why they watch the PL - it must be 40% plus black nowadays??

Having said the above, I am surprised by the links to several top centre backs. Torres and Laporte would both expect to start/play the majority of games at Villa (hoping Maguire is bogus) and I don't see the need given that we have three very strong options. I could see a younger 4th choice replacing chambers and competing with Feeney for a chance.

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Remember when he had the " stamp " ( Accidental ) incident and some people decided he had a violent and nasty streak in him where he might enjoy maimimg players? Lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Remember when he had the " stamp " ( Accidental ) incident and some people decided he had a violent and nasty streak in him where he might enjoy maimimg players? Lol

I like him a lot both as a player and a person, but being honest, I thought both stamping incidents looked deliberate and despicable.

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My viewpoint on Mings is that I think he meant to Ibrahimovic one where he was out for revenge after he had been elbowed earlier in the match. I don't think he meant the one against Reading, I think that was just unlucky and more clumsy than anything but had a worse outcome for the Reading player. I think the Ibra one being fresh in the mind, gave the impression he was always doing it on purpose so the image had been set.

Edited by NeilS
Correct oppo team

3 minutes ago, NeilS said:

My viewpoint on Mings is that I think he meant to Ibrahimovic one where he was out for revenge after he had been elbowed earlier in the match. I don't think he meant the one against Reading, I think that was just unlucky and more clumsy than anything but had a worse outcome for the Reading player. I think the Ibra one being fresh in the mind, gave the impression he was always doing it on purpose so the image had been set.

Tbf even that one Rooney nudges him just before it if I remember right. And Mings is looking at the play. Only he knows whether he did it or not but of course oppo fans will hold it against him.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Tbf even that one Rooney nudges him just before it if I remember right. And Mings is looking at the play. Only he knows whether he did it or not but of course oppo fans will hold it against him.

You could be right and It is hard to say for sure for was going through his mind in the brief seconds during the match. We will never really know unless Ty does a Roy Keane style autobiography when he retires.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

He had, until Emery came in and seems to have fixed that.

strongly disagree. he was the one player that consistently performed well under gerrard. he was doing great long before emery came in and it's doing mings a great diservice that emery has 'fixed' him. the mistakes were myths and the stats back that up. emery has helped take his game to another level, no doubt about that, but people forget that he was earning regular england caps long before emery took over

• Like 3

Â