Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Imo if you are going to depose the sitting captain - it's done quickly and quietly behind closed doors.

Don't think having this playing out all summer was a wise move to be honest.

In some ways I hope it's Ming's but in other ways (throwing the whole captaincy thing up in the air , then announcing it's still Mings) would be a minor farce imo.

The way I see it is it’s that fans that are making a big deal of the whole captaincy thing. Not Gerrard or the club. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I knew it...willy no wonka made that chewing gum🤑

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The way I see it is it’s that fans that are making a big deal of the whole captaincy thing. Not Gerrard or the club. 

Really ?

It was Gerrard who through the whole captaincy debate up in the air when he announced that it wouldn't necessarily be TM next season 

The fans have merely speculated who it might be. Like we would if we were after a new striker, goalkeeper, coach, stadium.

Don't think you can pin this one on the fans. Any club would speculate the same.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Really ?

It was Gerrard who through the whole captaincy debate up in the air when he announced that it wouldn't necessarily be TM next season 

The fans have merely speculated who it might be. Like we would if we were after a new striker, goalkeeper, coach, stadium.

Don't think you can pin this one on the fans. Any club would speculate the same.

I mean in terms of calling it a farce or criticising it. Yes Gerrard mentioned it and of course fans can speculate. But I don’t get why they are bothered about the whole thing ? The players don’t seem to be.

Feels like nit picking mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I mean in terms of calling it a farce or criticising it. Yes Gerrard mentioned it and of course fans can speculate. But I don’t get why they are bothered about the whole thing ? The players don’t seem to be.

Feels like nit picking mate.

I said Minor Farce.

Fully agree its not a big issue - but as this level of elite football marginal gains matter. IMO the instant pre season starts you want as few variables as possible. Everyone can start working knowing who the captain is. 

I remember Graham Taylor saying about pre season. Everything was set up to a granular level. Who gets the cones out, who gives out the bibs, who the captain is, who takes the penalties, etc. It was all part of his famous 'Shambles Speech' 

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

This is such a huge thing for the Ghana Lions. Tyrone and Nathan Dawe, together with those that are assisting them are going to make such a massive difference to the quality of life there because they have many disabled people who they want to help via football.

I've befriended one of the Ghanaian guys from the village where the Ghana Lions are based. In fact, he's related to the main man behind the Ghana Lions. Man, these people are extremely poor. 

We started following each other on Twitter and discussing all things Villa. After a while he told me that his dream was to come to Villa Park to watch Villa live. I naively assumed that wouldn't be too big a dream to fulfil. My friend went on to share the way he lives with me. He, together with 5 siblings, his parents (his Dad is disabled) and 10 nephews and nieces share one house. I say "House" but it is basically a shack. Holes in the roof. They cook in a pot on a fire outside. My friend told me they usually eat the same meal every day around 5pm because that's all they can eat. They have no money to buy food, usually. They wash outside. They have water in a tub and they stand under a tree with a line around them with washing on for privacy. 

My friend has only received two days work this year. He worked on a farm for long hours, carrying a huge bowl on his head to gather fruit and veg in what can only be described as a swamp. He does that for the equivalent of £4.70 per day! 

It's heartbreaking to see how these people live. I had to help him and his family so we worked out a way for me to send him money. I immediately sent him £150 which equated to 1,300 cedis (Ghanaian currency). He couldn't believe it. He told me that nobody in his house had ever seen that amount of money before. He didn't sleep that night because he was afraid he would wake up and it would all be a dream. It was enough money for his family to pay off their electricity debt to their govt to prevent having it cut off. My mate also bought some school books for his nephews as he wants them to have a better education so they can have a better future. Obviously, he also bought food. They had rice and stew for the first time in months. 

I've since sent further money to him. I have also decided to send him 300 cedis - around £35 - each pay day. I wish others could help these people too. My mate wants to come here on a work visa but it is so difficult to do so with the way this govt changed the rules. All he wants to do is earn some money to send home to support his family. With the shortage of workers in this country you would expect the govt to relax laws for people to be able to do this. 

Sorry for the long post guys. This is something that I've become invested in so I'm really glad that Tyrone and Nathan and decided to do this for the people of Juaben. 

This is a great read.

Is there a way that multiple people could join in with this and set up a regular transfer through fund raising or donations? For example, do they have easy access to bank accounts?

14 minutes ago, May-Z said:

This is a great read.

Is there a way that multiple people could join in with this and set up a regular transfer through fund raising or donations? For example, do they have easy access to bank accounts?

I think your best bet would be to donate to the Go Fund Me set up by Ty and Nathan Dawe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

This is such a huge thing for the Ghana Lions. Tyrone and Nathan Dawe, together with those that are assisting them are going to make such a massive difference to the quality of life there because they have many disabled people who they want to help via football.

I've befriended one of the Ghanaian guys from the village where the Ghana Lions are based. In fact, he's related to the main man behind the Ghana Lions. Man, these people are extremely poor. 

We started following each other on Twitter and discussing all things Villa. After a while he told me that his dream was to come to Villa Park to watch Villa live. I naively assumed that wouldn't be too big a dream to fulfil. My friend went on to share the way he lives with me. He, together with 5 siblings, his parents (his Dad is disabled) and 10 nephews and nieces share one house. I say "House" but it is basically a shack. Holes in the roof. They cook in a pot on a fire outside. My friend told me they usually eat the same meal every day around 5pm because that's all they can eat. They have no money to buy food, usually. They wash outside. They have water in a tub and they stand under a tree with a line around them with washing on for privacy. 

My friend has only received two days work this year. He worked on a farm for long hours, carrying a huge bowl on his head to gather fruit and veg in what can only be described as a swamp. He does that for the equivalent of £4.70 per day! 

It's heartbreaking to see how these people live. I had to help him and his family so we worked out a way for me to send him money. I immediately sent him £150 which equated to 1,300 cedis (Ghanaian currency). He couldn't believe it. He told me that nobody in his house had ever seen that amount of money before. He didn't sleep that night because he was afraid he would wake up and it would all be a dream. It was enough money for his family to pay off their electricity debt to their govt to prevent having it cut off. My mate also bought some school books for his nephews as he wants them to have a better education so they can have a better future. Obviously, he also bought food. They had rice and stew for the first time in months. 

I've since sent further money to him. I have also decided to send him 300 cedis - around £35 - each pay day. I wish others could help these people too. My mate wants to come here on a work visa but it is so difficult to do so with the way this govt changed the rules. All he wants to do is earn some money to send home to support his family. With the shortage of workers in this country you would expect the govt to relax laws for people to be able to do this. 

Sorry for the long post guys. This is something that I've become invested in so I'm really glad that Tyrone and Nathan and decided to do this for the people of Juaben. 

really good of you to do this

at the risk of prompting a political debate, you can see why people risk their lives in dinghys to get here.

32 minutes ago, May-Z said:

This is a great read.

it's a tough one. villarocker is doing a great thing for his mate and his family, but can imagine if we all gave to various folks over there could it spark conflict between the families of the village who are perhaps not twitter users or affiliated with their supporters group? imagine if a handful of families suddenly came into money and the rest were still struggling. could put them at risk. i appreciate i'm doing the town a disservice - they might share the wealth or just be happy for those that received help, but it's probably better to just go via the charity that is mentioned in the gofundme link. future stars or something?

2 hours ago, May-Z said:

This is a great read.

My friend's name is Francis and he is the brother of Amando, the leader of the Ghana Lions. Francis is 25 years old and told me that some of his family have moved out of the village in pursuit of work and send money back to him via Western Union, hence he has a mobile phone to receive the payments. However, at that point when I first started talking with him, he had no money in the account. They have no bank accounts so they need to use Western Union. It is really easy to send them money via the Western Union app. It was only when I started chatting to him and asking him personal questions about how they manage to make ends meet etc that he told me more about their way of life. He told me they had electricity but faced having it cut off because they owed the government 800 cedis because they had no money. That was when I sent the money to prevent that from happening. I have pictures to show how this family lives. They are so grateful and we exchange messages every day since. 

Francis told me how they eat this meal called Fufu every day usually. It is plantain and cassava. He sent me a video of how they mash it down to a pulp and make a soup out of it. When I gave him the money he used some of it to buy rice and said they ate rice for the first time in 3 months. I mean, rice! He even sent me pictures that were taken of him preparing their meals. Rice is something we take for granted - to them it is a luxury. Francis and his family are Christians who go to church. It's not a scam, they live in poverty. It's heart-breaking to see. His dream is to be a philanthropist.

Francis' brother, Amando, contacted me recently to thank me for what I have done to help his family. He told me he has this dream to help the disabled people in his village through football and their love of Villa. He said it gives them belief and something to keep them interested during their struggles with life. What Tyrone and Nathan are planning will help them with that. My concern is, will it put food on the table? They shared with me information of how a young lad in his early 20's, named Alex Frimpong, had died of sickle cell anaemia. Francis used to donate blood to him. 

I guess if people wanted to help Francis and his family they could do so by sending money via Western Union and I could give out Francis' details in order to do that but, first, I'd like to run that by Francis. I'm pretty sure he should be OK with that though. If he is OK with it, anyone that wants to send money could contact me for Francis' details via private message and I will share those details with you. Francis is on Twitter and Whatsapp and loves Villa. He is a very humble and friendly fella so I am sure he would befriend anyone who wants to chat with him. I guess I could also send people who want to contribute some photos to show the family and how they live prior to it and you could contact Francis first before deciding to send his family some money? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

really good of you to do this

at the risk of prompting a political debate, you can see why people risk their lives in dinghys to get here.

I have contacted organisations here to try to find a way to help get Francis a work visa in order for him to come here but it is difficult, almost impossible. It's a shame how these people live their lives. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think your best bet would be to donate to the Go Fund Me set up by Ty and Nathan Dawe. 

I agree, it seems the best the best option to go through the official routes.

I quite liked the personal aspect of the donations mentioned in the previous post...but I think it's a valid point about the wealth potentially causing issues if it isn't used for a community project. 

5 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I really don't get the significance of the captaincy debate. All the players mentioned are already senior members of the squad and I'd be disappointed if they werent already playing some sort of leadership role.

I see your point...but someone has to wear the badge, for responsibility to be apportioned correctly.

I think it ( leadership) tends to stand out in a group of young men, and that will manifest itself during training, and day to day activity.

The boss will simply analysis the interaction among them, and factor in  an element of intelligence, of players who can carry and distribute instruction effectively.

I don't envisage a captain being appointed who is not popular with the men....that would be counterproductive.

so my point is....it should in theory, be an easy choice for the manager.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

A truly fantastic human being, genuinely.

A truly mediocre footballer

Oh c’mon.  Consistent performer in the Premier League and for his country? Outside the top six/seven clubs, there aren’t many better.

You must set a very high bar!

• Thanks 1

Â