10 year challenge

MarkLillis

It all depends on how serious our new owners are.

They are not Xia with no money and they are substantially richer and personally more successful than Randy. 

I believe we will get back but once there it depends on their ambitions or if this is just a little side project for them. 

Thing is even if/when we get back in the big league, it doesn't matter how rich your owners are as it's all dictated by ffp now. Chelsea and Man City both got very very lucky that their rich owners were allowed to spend before this ffp nonsense. 

Realistically the best we can hope for is becoming a mid table club again. 

11 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Thing is even if/when we get back in the big league, it doesn't matter how rich your owners are as it's all dictated by ffp now. Chelsea and Man City both got very very lucky that their rich owners were allowed to spend before this ffp nonsense. 

Realistically the best we can hope for is becoming a mid table club again. 

Woo hoo!

giphy.webp

• Haha 1

A decade... good lord, that came and went pretty damn quick didn’t it?

It’s sad that there’s teenagers that won’t remember us as actually being comepetitive in the PL.

We beat Sunderland this weekend 10 years ago. Without looking, obviously, can any one name the starting 11?

Here is the answer!

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

The longest period in our history without winning a 'major.' Heartbreaking...

Since football was invented in 1992, Villa have been fingered a few times by rule changes. We finished 2nd in 1992/93... only good enough for UEFA Cup qualification. A couple of years later, 2nd was a European Cup/Champions League spot.

Finished 4th in 1995/96... only good enough for UEFA Cup qualification. A couple of years later, 4th was to become entrenched in 'holy grail' success measure of a football team when it was changed to be Champions League qualification.

I'm sure we'll get back one day. As a reasonably successful football club over the course of history, I am gutted to think, that at the age of 44, there is now a big risk that I will never get to see my side win the FA Cup. For the mighty Aston Villa, it's a sobering thought.

15 hours ago, a m ole said:

I think in the next 10 years we will back to Premier League mediocrity like we’re used to.

in 10 years the elite teams will have formed a new euro super league and the prem will be the new championship...my prediction FWIW

oh...just to show what a funny old game it is, 10 years ago today bournemouth were 23rd in league 2

Edited by tomav84

On 17/01/2019 at 02:50, alreadyexists said:

It’s sad that there’s teenagers that won’t remember us as actually being comepetitive in the PL.

We beat Sunderland this weekend 10 years ago. Without looking, obviously, can any one name the starting 11?

Here is the answer!

Clicked this just to check if a midfielder was playing at fullback. Wasn't disappointed.

• Haha 2

On 17/01/2019 at 09:13, Raver50032 said:

The longest period in our history without winning a 'major.' Heartbreaking...

Since football was invented in 1992, Villa have been fingered a few times by rule changes. We finished 2nd in 1992/93... only good enough for UEFA Cup qualification. A couple of years later, 2nd was a European Cup/Champions League spot.

Finished 4th in 1995/96... only good enough for UEFA Cup qualification. A couple of years later, 4th was to become entrenched in 'holy grail' success measure of a football team when it was changed to be Champions League qualification.

I'm sure we'll get back one day. As a reasonably successful football club over the course of history, I am gutted to think, that at the age of 44, there is now a big risk that I will never get to see my side win the FA Cup. For the mighty Aston Villa, it's a sobering thought.

Didn’t we get done over with the europa cup once or twice too?

Finished sixth in 2003-04, not good enough for qualification. They were keen to give the defeated cup finalists a go - Millwall. The season before teams as low as ninth appear to have qualified for some unknown reason (unless that’s just inaccurate bollocks, but having read around I don’t think it is).

So years later we get to a cup final and lose, consolation of europa beckons...nope, by that point  qualification has gone back to league position. Great timing.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

On 17/01/2019 at 07:50, alreadyexists said:

Here is the answer!

My guess:-

Freidel,

L Young, Cuellar, Collins, Warnock

Milner, Barry, Sidwell, A Young

L Moore   Carew.

Spoiler

I was close-ish.  :unsure:

Â