The VT 2018 Christmas Thread

Xela

Absolutely love Christmas. Don't so much like the build up, can be stressful. But love that week off, spending it with family, doing very little, eating and drinking. It's great.

Crept up on me a bit this year but most of my shopping is done now. Finished work today. Time to chill.

• Like 2

My kids are 6 & 8 so it’s a fantastic time to be a Daddy. Usual Christmas present for them this year... then we’ll tell them we’re taking them to Disney Land Florida in February! Can’t wait for their reactions 

• Like 1

Well what I thought was going to be stress free Xmas has turned into stress central :lol:  

I'm working on behalf of my Hospital Trust to procure their energy for 2.5 hospitals.  That comes to around £1.5m for gas and similar for electric (for a 6 month period), I can save the trust 500k, but they are so busy dragging their feet with a contractual variation between our businesses, so I cannot sign on their behalf (power of attorney), and the suppliers are pulling the plug should the contracts not be signed by Monday close - I'm on holiday tomorrow.. 

Just banged out a load of costing analysis for the Trust to take into yet another mothers meeting, whereby they'll talk about nothing for 55 minutes and give this issue 5 mins.. 

I'm desperate for them to sign it, as.. y'know.. it's not good for hospitals to waste money, especially 500k! 

• Sad 1

My sister and husband come back from America with my niece (who I’ve only met twice) so it’ll nice to spend time with them and see how much she’s grown. Having a child around will be more fun than usual even though she’s probably too young to know what Christmas is yet. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Well what I thought was going to be stress free Xmas has turned into stress central :lol:  

I'm working on behalf of my Hospital Trust to procure their energy for 2.5 hospitals.  That comes to around £1.5m for gas and similar for electric (for a 6 month period), I can save the trust 500k, but they are so busy dragging their feet with a contractual variation between our businesses, so I cannot sign on their behalf (power of attorney), and the suppliers are pulling the plug should the contracts not be signed by Monday close - I'm on holiday tomorrow.. 

Just banged out a load of costing analysis for the Trust to take into yet another mothers meeting, whereby they'll talk about nothing for 55 minutes and give this issue 5 mins.. 

I'm desperate for them to sign it, as.. y'know.. it's not good for hospitals to waste money, especially 500k! 

Its the NHS... if they don't waste money on that then they'll waste it on something else! Like too many middle managers! 

AMIRITE?!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its the NHS... if they don't waste money on that then they'll waste it on something else! Like too many middle managers! 

AMIRITE?!

This, totally this. Now, I'm not denying there is a need for proper management of such a vital organisation but it beggars belief how many times I've seen huddles of suits wandering around good hope, gawping at their ipads all in name of "strategic planning and governance", whilst some old biddie gasps her way past them desperately trying to find somewhere to sit in the crowded waiting room as the nursing staff are flat out trying to keep up 🤬

• Like 1

Broke up yesterday, although it was meant to be today, but work is really slow at the moment. Was in the pub for 1.30 with a load of others and had a good drink.  Today we are taking kids wacky and go out for a meal. Just going to chill out mainly. Eat, read, music, tv, and just laze about. Me and my wife are going away for the night on her birthday, but nothing crazy. Booking into a nice B&B somewhere in Buxton or Bakewell Derbyshire. Nice meal, few beers in a country pub. We are all sorted regarding presents. Couple of days at the footy, but won’t be going mad. Have a good rest and some family time, then back at it January 3rd. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Booking into a nice B&B somewhere in Buxton or Bakewell Derbyshire.

Some cracking pubs in Bakewell mate. Lovely part of the world

Haven’t done the German market in Birmingham for years. I like the idea of it rather than the reality. After about half an hour of trying to find an inch of space to stand in and feel cold I find myself deciding which pub I should head to instead.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

I would say brum is about eating and drinking, there are still some craft stuff but the German markets have a lot more, there is also still an element of independence about the ones here and as a result there is far less repetition on the stalls (which you can't really blame brum for, that's how it comes) a lot more local sellers and "market" here

brum I would say go down, the crowds aren't that bad, have 2 or 3 gluhweins then go to the joint stock or Bacchus bar and get out of it all

23 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Haven’t done the German market in Birmingham for years. I like the idea of it rather than the reality. After about half an hour of trying to find an inch of space to stand in and feel cold I find myself deciding which pub I should head to instead.

I do it once a year. Like you say, it always sounds better than it turns out to be. Its cold, expensive and too busy. Plus it's rife with pickpockets. 

I'd rather be in a warm pub. 

Â