James McClean Poppy Row

maqroll

I can understand why he doesn’t want to wear one, and it’s entirely up to the individual. He could have handled it better, but I can imagine it’s very irritating with all the abuse he receives. What’s more disrespectful is the far right hijacking the poppy, and using it as a weapon, and a symbol in their campaign. I don’t wear one, and I really don’t see any fuss in not wearing one. There are too many “Pay your respects” in football these days. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I can understand why he doesn’t want to wear one, and it’s entirely up to the individual. He could have handled it better, but I can imagine it’s very irritating with all the abuse he receives. What’s more disrespectful is the far right hijacking the poppy, and using it as a weapon, and a symbol in their campaign. I don’t wear one, and I really don’t see any fuss in not wearing one. There are too many “Pay your respects” in football these days. 

I agree with all of that, though I think he's explained very well - Whether you agree with the reasons or not, it's clearly honest and heartfelt and genuine. The whole "controversy is as you imply, a load of old toss.

• Like 4

I don't wear or buy a poppy, not for any reason in particular, I just don't. It's not that I have no respect for soldiers, quite the opposite but I don't feel a need to spend money on plastic flower to demonstrate that. 

That said, if you make a public song and dance about not wearing one, when 99.9% of your colleagues and peers will be wearing one, you can expect shit for it. Actions and consequences. 

13 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That said, if you make a public song and dance about not wearing one, when 99.9% of your colleagues and peers will be wearing one, you can expect shit for it. Actions and consequences. 

I agree. 

James McClean hasn't done this though.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree. 

James McClean hasn't done this though.

Exactly. Every year (since it was first noticed he doesn't wear one) he gets vilified and then he speaks up as to why. 

It's not as if he's all "hey, hey everybody...look at me and what I'm not wearing this time of year !! Ask me why, go on ask me, ask me...ASK ME !!!"

The public song and dance certainly wasn't ever started by him.

• Like 4

It’s been going on since 2012 for Mclean, when he first appeared in the Premier League without one. He received death threats for not doing so (although it was probabaly more to do with his switch from NI to the Republic) and sold the signed shirt with proceeds going to a children’s charity in Derry. Actions and consequences?

Edited by a m ole

Why should an Irishman be expected to wear a poppy to commemorate the British Army. It's not just for WW1 or WW2. 

I'm all for respecting anyone who has fought or died for their country and doing that shouldn't mean you agreed with the pretence of that war. Anyone who made that sacrifice deserves our respect. We should also remember the other side of the same coin, wars are politically motivated conflicts that serve somebody's agenda and both sides of the apposing forces are fighting for what they are told to be right. We are not commemorating the cause, we are commemorating the lives that were lost because of that cause. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Its that time of the year and now that McClean is declining, the English media have found a new target for poppymania. Step forward young Killian Phillips a player on loan from Palace at Wycombe who the Daily Mail have quickly targeted

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wear a poppy but hardly anyone else seems to these day's. 

Seems to be a dying thing. 

I'll wear my poppy villa badge and would chuck some money in the bucket if I was home

Its a pissing contest now, there used to be a great social media account which called out the ridiculousness of it all, stuff like a bbc presenter getting pelters cos they wore their poppy on the left rather than the right or some such bollocks, the asda we remember them pizzas and that kind of shit

Its a choice, they literally went to war over the freedom to make such choices, McLean has his reasons and they're actually good reasons, it should open a good discussion rather than the reaction that it gets

• Like 1

funny the criticism always comes from the same groups that harp on about "keeping politics out of football" whenever players take the knee or wear a rainbow armband.

edit: i don't care either way. i don't need to wear a poppy to remember or respect my grandad for his service in WW2. i do though, when in the company of my dad cause it means a lot to him

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1