James McClean Poppy Row

maqroll

meh happens every year that it is boring. He has his points and he does state it every year and the poppy facism is a bit too much but he could also behave in a more productive way,

I am no fan of McClean but he puts up with horrific abuse all year around online

So for me as a Swede looking from the outside with only superficial understanding of the situation, is there any comparisons to be made to the Colin Kaepernick situation in the US of A?

Not trying to offend anyone, just looking to get a better grasp.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

So for me as a Swede looking from the outside with only superficial understanding of the situation, is there any comparisons to be made to the Colin Kaepernick situation in the US of A?

Not trying to offend anyone, just looking to get a better grasp.

The difference is Kap has been blackballed for protesting a current situation with police violence whereas McClean is protesting violence of yesteryear while still being employed.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

The difference is Kap has been blackballed for protesting a current situation with police violence whereas McClean is protesting violence of yesteryear while still being employed.

Yeah, that's the difference between the free world and the US.

Edited by sne

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No fan of McLean but the kind of abuse he gets for his standpoint probably is from uneducated cavemen.

If he doesn't want to wear the poppy he shouldn't have to. He's quite eloquently explained his reasons for it in the past.

I'm not sure I agree with why he doesn't wear it, but I agree with his right not to.

Very much this. 

He also doesn't wear an Easter lily on his shirt but imagine the backlash he'd get from the same sort of individuals (once they'd worked out what it stands for) if he did. Would it be okay with them if he wore both then ? ?

matic has put out a statement that is quite well thought out and written and in regards to a conflict that no one here knows much about

McClean's has also given his reasons but of course everyone knows about the queens army and the IRA so they are wrong

it doesn't help that IMO just in general McClean comes across as a very unlikable bloke, i dont know for sure but based on the abuse grealish gets for opting for england over ireland it would be interesting to know how much stick he gets for changing allegiance, I'm sure on several times in his career he's come across as aggressive and antagonistic, little bit of a dirty streak to him making him a pantomime villain, the poppy stuff is just fuelling the fire

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He isnt even the most high profike player this weekend not to wear a poppy. Nemanja Matic didnt either

Mr Matic seems to have a short memory....

20181105_161150.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Mr Matic seems to have a short memory...

It would appear that his memory is fine:

In his statement, Matic said: "I recognise fully why people wear poppies, I totally respect everyone's right to do so...

Whilst I have done so previously, on reflection I now don't feel it is right for me to wear the poppy on my shirt.

• Like 1

It's up to him, he said its because of the role of the British army in the troubles in Northern Ireland.

I do find it odd though that for someone who has such staunch beliefs around what happened in derry. He refused to play for the country of his birth and switched to the ROI instead 

2 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

It's up to him, he said its because of the role of the British army in the troubles in Northern Ireland.

I do find it odd though that for someone who has such staunch beliefs around what happened in derry. He refused to play for the country of his birth and switched to the ROI instead 

People in Derry especially where he is from dont really consider themselves Northern Irish especially with the national anthem that national team use. Shane Duffy is another one from Derry who switched to Republic, Gibson too

The Good Friday agreement, which our wonderful Government seem to be wiping their arses with since a certain referendum happened, gives anyone born in Northern Ireland the right to identify as British or as Irish. They are entitled to an Irish passport and they are entitled to represent the Republic of Ireland national team.  

The Matic comments are more interesting. I'm sure he knows more about the situation than I, and maybe his point is more a general anti war thing, but not wearing a poppy because NATO troops dropped bombs to stop the Serbian led genocide of Kosovan Albanians (see Shaquiri not traveling to Serbia this week) might be taken as misguided, right? 

8 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

The Good Friday agreement, which our wonderful Government seem to be wiping their arses with since a certain referendum happened, gives anyone born in Northern Ireland the right to identify as British or as Irish. They are entitled to an Irish passport and they are entitled to represent the Republic of Ireland national team.  

The Matic comments are more interesting. I'm sure he knows more about the situation than I, and maybe his point is more a general anti war thing, but not wearing a poppy because NATO troops dropped bombs to stop the Serbian led genocide of Kosovan Albanians (see Shaquiri not traveling to Serbia this week) might be taken as misguided, right? 

Agree on Matic. That said, he's laid out his opposition to wearing a poppy in a far more measured and mature way than McClean.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Agree on Matic. That said, he's laid out his opposition to wearing a poppy in a far more measured and mature way than McClean.

the media did some research you can tell McClean did the same 3 years ago

Republic of Ireland international, James McClean, wrote an open letter to Dave Whelan explaining his reasons for not wearing a poppy in tonight’s game against Bolton...

McClean has faced criticism in the past for not wearing a poppy during the annual Remembrance Day commemorations that take place in November in the UK and Commonwealth nations.

According to wiganlatics.co.uk, McClean wrote an open letter to Latics Chairman Dave Whelan earlier this week before the two met face to face to discuss the issue.

Here’s a look at McClean's letter to Whelan.

#AD

McClean1 McClean2 

https://www.joe.ie/sport/pic-james-mcclean-pens-open-letter-to-wigan-chairman-explaining-why-he-wont-be-wearing-a-poppy-tonight-474522

• Like 3