Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I never read a thread after a game before I’ve posted in it......and I’ve just posted and started reading this and have to say it’s good to read your Post, and I fully concur.

I always resp3ct the opinions of others, but I’ve never disagreed with as many posts as I’ve read in the last few pages.

For me, we absolutely dominated that game, against the In Form side in the League.

Fitness concerns ? Blown away.

Can we play attacking, front foot football, at tempo, for 90 minutes ? Yes.

Are we now passing the ball at every opportunity, rather than hoofing it at every opportunity ? Yes.

Are we creating chances from open play (at last) ? Yes.

Gealish excellent. Midfielders getting forward past our front men,full backs bombing on.

That level of performance from where we were against Preston......massively impressive.

Bravo sir. Agreed

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I can see why you stuck with bruce for so long. 

Here is a clue. 

Against preston in Bruce's last game, we attempted  391 passes and completed 78% of them. We had 3 players who attempted 40+ passes. 

Tonight we attempted 540 passes and completed 85% of them. We had 6 players who attempted 40 + passes. Our back 4 each attempted 60 + passes. 

How you can't see a difference is way beyond me. I suspect its because you don't want to see a difference. 

Agree.

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The difference is absolutely vast for me.  Keeping the ball, playing short from the keeper almost all the time, pressing the ball in their third - we literally did none of these things under Bruce.

I'm really very, very surprised people can't spot a change in the way we're playing.

Perhaps, i am looking at all the things we are not doing and wasn't doing under SB

like passing and moving, like ball retention, like first touch, like passing in the last third, like retaining the initiative, like defending our goal, like no composure in the box.

maybe, we look for different things.

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The difference is absolutely vast for me.  Keeping the ball, playing short from the keeper almost all the time, pressing the ball in their third - we literally did none of these things under Bruce.

I'm really very, very surprised people can't spot a change in the way we're playing.

Chalk and cheese. Vilka wont be fixed in a few days and stupid if think so 

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I never read a thread after a game before I’ve posted in it......and I’ve just posted and started reading this and have to say it’s good to read your Post, and I fully concur.

I always resp3ct the opinions of others, but I’ve never disagreed with as many posts as I’ve read in the last few pages.

For me, we absolutely dominated that game, against the In Form side in the League.

Fitness concerns ? Blown away.

Can we play attacking, front foot football, at tempo, for 90 minutes ? Yes.

Are we now passing the ball at every opportunity, rather than hoofing it at every opportunity ? Yes.

Are we creating chances from open play (at last) ? Yes.

Gealish excellent. Midfielders getting forward past our front men,full backs bombing on.

That level of performance from where we were against Preston......massively impressive.

Agreed. What's impressive is that Smith is unrelenting in how he wants the game played which when you hear talk of "clubs too big for him " puts paid to that. 

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Perhaps, i am looking at all the things we are not doing and wasn't doing under SB

like passing and moving, like ball retention, like first touch, like passing in the last third, like retaining the initiative, like defending our goal, like no composure in the box.

We are doing most of those things better already.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Things we are now doing that we didn’t do under Bruce ?

Passing and moving - practically non- existent for 2 years.....now it’s our whole game.

Ball retention - practically non - existent for 2 years.........now we’ve dominated possession.

First touch ? Countless one touch passes tonight.

Initiative ? We dominated the game. QPR looked like we used to....a goal on the break and defended for their lives.

And, most of all, players playing actual football.

Now, if anyone tells me we made errors, ill agree.

But 2 years of trying to play safety first football both failed, and was excruciating to watch.

Under Bruce we’d get beat ( or even win sometimes) and I was just left thinking, “ what a waste of time all this is”.

Tonight I was left thinking, “ we really deserved to get something, can’t wait for the next one”.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

If we had some players Dean actually wants here maybe likes of (Watkins, Maupay) we might have won tonight and Tuesday!

I hope we raid Brentford for Canos and Watkins , I think they'd be ideal

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Things we are now doing that we didn’t do under Bruce ?

Passing and moving - practically non- existent for 2 years.....now it’s our whole game.

Ball retention - practically non - existent for 2 years.........now we’ve dominated possession.

First touch ? Countless one touch passes tonight.

Initiative ? We dominated the game. QPR looked like we used to....a goal on the break and defended for their lives.

And, most of all, players playing actual football.

Now, if anyone tells me we made errors, ill agree.

But 2 years of trying to play safety first football both failed, and was excruciating to watch.

Under Bruce we’d get beat ( or even win sometimes) and I was just left thinking, “ what a waste of time all this is”.

Tonight I was left thinking, “ we really deserved to get something, can’t wait for the next one”.

I've said it before. There are times, most of which have been in the last 2 years, where I've felt rotten..absolutely rotten when we got beat . Couldn't speak to me for hours. I'm not like that tonight. Quite calm. Disappointed we lost but for a squad in it's infancy under a new coach, impressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can see why you stuck with bruce for so long. 

Here is a clue. 

Against preston in Bruce's last game, we attempted  391 passes and completed 78% of them. We had 3 players who attempted 40+ passes. 

Tonight we attempted 540 passes and completed 85% of them. We had 6 players who attempted 40 + passes. Our back 4 each attempted 60 + passes. 

How you can't see a difference is way beyond me. I suspect its because you don't want to see a difference. 

I stuck with him because, i thought 24 wins in a season was worth sticking with to see if we could improve on it.....i guess the summer scuppered that.....and in the end a change was needed.

in the game against Preston, we was in total control of the first half and scored 2 good goals, should have scored more.....the second half, that is what we was expecting, such was the control of the game.....we all know what happened.

I do want to see a difference, but i guess i am looking at different things to you.

We lost tonight and it was predictable, our play was predictable, we was once again too easily closed down....if you are closed down as much, creativity is unlikely.

i can't understand how you can't see this.

you can quote stats until the cows come home......there is only 2 stats that matter.

goals for and goals against.....and right now we are not good at either.

12 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

I hope we raid Brentford for Canos and Watkins , I think they'd be ideal

myself Sawyers would be perfect due to way he leads and does everything required Smith wants. I went Stoke vs Brentford start season he was best player on pitch with Watkins (Yep two you mentioned then as well) Bentley, Mepham and Maupay!

But signings don't work like that but would be nice lol

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

On 23/10/2018 at 21:48, Vive_La_Villa said:

After one unlucky defeat you came to that conclusion? 

No, based on how I see him as a manager. Just like those who expect good things from him aren't just coming to their own conclusions based on 1 win.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The facts are in three games smith has done no better than Bruce. That’ is true. But it’s not all his fault because of the garbage Bruce left him with. 

No one is saying its his fault......we are talking about what we have seen.

its as simple as that......and some of us don't agree.

Â