Dean Smith

Demitri_C

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'll say again, I genuinely feel if Di Matteo was given time we would already be in the Premier League.

His short reign was similar to Smiths, in the sense that we were VERY attacking but had glaring deficiencies in Midfield/Defence.

Due to panic we pulled the trigger and went "Safe", we then got the ultra defensive and safe we asked for.

Smith has been here a short time, and again we have showed in the past how devastating we can be on the attack, with glaring deficiencies at the back.

No coincidence that as we have gotten the defenders in, last 2 games, our keeper now looks more solid, as our defense did.

Players which have had 1 and 3 games respectively.

So we have shown we can attack, and we are now showing we can defend.

Only a matter of time before the balance is there, hopefully we can find it before Jack comes back so we have not lost too much ground.

Agreed 👍🏻 Where have you been lately - more time in solitary ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

Agreed 👍🏻 Where have you been lately - more time in solitary ?

I can't comment on that 🤣.

I was also in Muscat for a short trip for 10 days so only sporadically dipped in with mostly boozed up commentary.

I'm back in working order now though ;).

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I can't comment on that 🤣.

I was also in Muscat for a short trip for 10 days so only sporadically dipped in with mostly boozed up commentary.

I'm back in working order now though ;).

Glad your back JV - I appreciate your humour.

Right back on topic now fella 😜👍🏻

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 20:20, villalad21 said:

The fact that he brought on Jedinak in the last 10 minutes when we are 0-0 against a relegation team is worrying.

He were actually scared to lose against Reading. That says alot.

No b***s to this guy, he is a coward. Job too big for him. Draws are worthless at this stage.

A day after i'm still furious of his tactical decisions in that game. I can see him being the next Lambert, all started promising, but then when it's not going well he cannot handle the pressure. Hope he prove me wrong though and i'm not DS out yet.

I am not sure what manager can handle not winning for long periods.

We all know, whether we like it or not...the team is not right....you can debate seperately why that is....but its clear when you are watching us, some players are just drifting through games, while others work like trojans.

I can only assume the manager thinks he has no other alternative at present....The whole club is a balancing act and after 10 years (IMO) buying the wrong players in the main ( sure some have been ok, but more have been ineffective and expensive) We are here where we are.

I still think many of us look for attributes in players that are not the main ones to get out of this league.....players not as technically gifted as ours are showing us how to do it.

We MUST find talented players who feel comfortable " mixing it"

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'll say again, I genuinely feel if Di Matteo was given time we would already be in the Premier League.

His short reign was similar to Smiths, in the sense that we were VERY attacking but had glaring deficiencies in Midfield/Defence.

Due to panic we pulled the trigger and went "Safe", we then got the ultra defensive and safe we asked for.

Smith has been here a short time, and again we have showed in the past how devastating we can be on the attack, with glaring deficiencies at the back.

No coincidence that as we have gotten the defenders in, last 2 games, our keeper now looks more solid, as our defense did.

Players which have had 1 and 3 games respectively.

So we have shown we can attack, and we are now showing we can defend.

Only a matter of time before the balance is there, hopefully we can find it before Jack comes back so we have not lost too much ground.

I generally agree.

but the whole essence comes from buying right.

However, I don't think Managers in general set out to be attacking or defensive, quite as much as we think. I think they all want to win, but have different views of how to stay in the game....They look at the players they have and try to win points to keep everyone on side....They react to what attributes they have, in the players.....(i.e its easy to ask Jack to carry the ball, because he has the ball control to do it.)....(but when the game gets going, players react to the mood of the game, not always sticking to instructions, from the manager.

If Managers are given time and buy rubbish, then they only have themselves to blame.

If your players can't keep the ball, it means the opposition have it and it puts you in defensive mode( Its a natural tendency)....If on the other hand you can keep the ball and keep moving it around the opposition get tired and they go in to defensive mode....attacking becomes inevitable.

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

It sometimes gets confusing with a DM....He is usually a ball winner, so paradoxically, starts attacks by turning the ball over....yet some see him as an out and out defender....Get one or two who can press high and successfully turn the ball over and its attack,attack, attack.

We for some time now have had too many players not comfortable on the ball and not comfortable winning it back when they lose it....that is a worrying situation.

I guess we all see the game differently....I watch the player on the ball and say are you going to keep it or lose it?( meaning give it away by a poor pass or losing it in possession).....and from that, I usually know whether we will be attacking or defending......If enough players are doing one or the other, I know how we will play, Irrespective of the instructions from the manager.

You simply cannot attack if you haven't got the ball....I respectfully say this at times when we are frustrated at not attacking enough ( Albert as an example of late, loses more than he keeps it, how can you attack when you have players doing that.)

sorry if some of the stuff is basic, but I get the impression at times we lose sight of the basics.

I also think, If we are going to blame managers....we need to be clear what exactly are we blaming him for....is it buying the player or what the players does on the park or both?....."you can take the horse to the water, but you can't make him drink"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I generally agree.

but the whole essence comes from buying right.

However, I don't think Managers in general set out to be attacking or defensive, quite as much as we think. I think they all want to win, but have different views of how to stay in the game....They look at the players they have and try to win points to keep everyone on side....They react to what attributes they have, in the players.....(i.e its easy to ask Jack to carry the ball, because he has the ball control to do it.)....(but when the game gets going, players react to the mood of the game, not always sticking to instructions, from the manager.

If Managers are given time and buy rubbish, then they only have themselves to blame.

If your players can't keep the ball, it means the opposition have it and it puts you in defensive mode( Its a natural tendency)....If on the other hand you can keep the ball and keep moving it around the opposition get tired and they go in to defensive mode....attacking becomes inevitable.

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

It sometimes gets confusing with a DM....He is usually a ball winner, so paradoxically, starts attacks by turning the ball over....yet some see him as an out and out defender....Get one or two who can press high and successfully turn the ball over and its attack,attack, attack.

We for some time now have had too many players not comfortable on the ball and not comfortable winning it back when they lose it....that is a worrying situation.

I guess we all see the game differently....I watch the player on the ball and say are you going to keep it or lose it?( meaning give it away by a poor pass or losing it in possession).....and from that, I usually know whether we will be attacking or defending......If enough players are doing one or the other, I know how we will play, Irrespective of the instructions from the manager.

You simply cannot attack if you haven't got the ball....I respectfully say this at times when we are frustrated at not attacking enough ( Albert as an example of late, loses more than he keeps it, how can you attack when you have players doing that.)

sorry if some of the stuff is basic, but I get the impression at times we lose sight of the basics.

I also think, If we are going to blame managers....we need to be clear what exactly are we blaming him for....is it buying the player or what the players does on the park or both?....."you can take the horse to the water, but you can't make him drink"

In respect of blaming a manager here is my take on this:

Once a player crosses the white line it does become a bit of a lottery in so much that a manager cannot do anything about an over hit/ under hit pass - poor decision making etc etc However the manager is responsible for how a team sets up to attack and defend and for me this is what separates the wheat from the chaff - good managers can change things around in play - others cannot, this is my view TRO 

9 hours ago, NIVillan said:

I remember Brian Little coming in and things looked good including a 3-0 spanking of Chelsea.  Then wheels came off and we just survived relegation at the end of the season.

Team had good players that had won us the League Cup (prefer original name) the year before and runners up to Man U in the Premier League a couple of seasons before.

Little had a clearout at the end of the season and built a new squad.  Following season was memorable.

That is all

Yeah but Chelsea were crap back then. 

10 hours ago, screwdriver said:

We shouldn't have a negative opinion about smith at all because "he's a Villa fan"

well so "was" craig gardner"

and it's ok to disrespect Steve Bruce and riddicule him about his appearence and how his daughter puts it about but not the sacred Dean Smith.

The fat scumbag Potatoe head bruce will get Sheffield up before Smith

No it's not ok - but it's ok to say he is a bang average football manager who was given enough resource to to win promotion - but he didn't.

As for promotion who knows if this will be the scenario 

Edited by Dave J

48 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Once a player crosses the white line it does become a bit of a lottery in so much that a manager cannot do anything about an over hit/ under hit pass - poor decision making etc etc However the manager is responsible for how a team sets up to attack and defend and for me this is what separates the wheat from the chaff - good managers can change things around in play - others cannot, this is my view TRO 

I to believe once the player is on the pitch the manager has little impact and if a player air kicks and gifts the opposition a goal there is little blame that can be directed to the manager. However if this is happening often and with different players - then to me it does sit with the manager. He trains the players agrees the systems and processes the players try to implement on the pitch. This isn't a dig at smith in particular - he seems quite a straight talking guy tbh. But no manager can shrug his shoulders week in week out and say 'individual errors'  - its his job to put systems and players on the pitch that minimise those individual errors 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I agree Dave....but the players must be able to do what the manager is asking....in some cases, i don't think they can.

In Deans case I have sympathy, because they are not his players in the main...but eventually they will be....He needs to be mindful of signing those that are going to ADD to the  ingredients of our play that we clearly lack.

If a player spends half a season out of form,they are no good to us.....if a player has a poor pass rate, they are no good to us.....if players fail to turn the ball over, they too are questionable purchases.

We have to raise the bar in our ability to sign players with attributes that add to the team performances.

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The cop out is saying "inform" QPR and Hull. We should not be dropping points against these sides at home if you want top two. That's excuses. Smith should be doing better. 

We are not inform, they were, it's tough to overcome being out of form.

I love those who say we shouldn't be dropping points against teams who are lower down, why because were better?? obviously we are not or we wouldn't even be in this league.

The exact problem some of you are having is that you think we're entitled, automatically to good for this league as well as think we have the best squad in the league.

Eye opener for many is that teams we mite of trashed back in the 90s and before are making examples of us. Its well and truly those who were in the squad before, those players with the same self entitled attitude who think they dont have to play there hearts out anymore. That is why we see performances like we do and the likes of Mcginn, tammy, grealish show then regular how its done.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure about PL, but we'd definitely have seen some better football.

Looking at how poor last season was... I think you're probably right, we'd have gone up last season.

Smith is starting further back than RDM though, having to pick up Bruce's mess of a squad. I'm not 100% certain yet Smith is the right man to rebuild the squad in the Summer. The abandonment of his style, but persistence with the formation the last month or so is a bad trait.

Last season we were going into games with the belief we could win, how anyone can describe that as poor is beyond me. I'm lost for words I've never heard anything more ridiculous. 

7 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Last season we were going into games with the belief we could win, how anyone can describe that as poor is beyond me. I'm lost for words I've never heard anything more ridiculous. 

Never? Can't believe that.

I meant the quality of the league was really poor. Cardiff got second playing long balls over full backs. We just did our usual Brucey nonsense. Some people enjoyed it, some people didn't.

Still blaming injuries for the bad results i see.

We get smacked by Wigan 3-0, narrowly beat Ipswich and fail to score against Reading. It's obviously only because we miss Jack and Axel, no way is there any other reason to why we can't beat the worst teams in the league.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I meant the quality of the league was really poor. Cardiff got second playing long balls over full backs. We just did our usual Brucey nonsense. Some people enjoyed it, some people didn't.

I didn't - good riddance to him 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

It was certainly more enjoyable than what we're currently seeing.

Hopefully Smith will build something better given time.

It's going to be next season now though I fear. I don't see much hope for the playoffs this time around.

God yeah, I hated winning more than half of our games last season and being in the promotion picture for nearly all of it.

Give me mid-table obscurity and 2-2 draws at home to Hull and Stoke any day of the week.

What a shit-show we were last year, getting to the playoff final and all that crap.......love finishing 12th me.

Â