Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Yeah I really thought when we'd got rid of our defense this summer we'd be barnstorming the league this season.

Such a bold and cunning move ruined when we replaced the manager.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

God yeah, I hated winning more than half of our games last season and being in the promotion picture for nearly all of it.

Give me mid-table obscurity and 2-2 draws at home to Hull and Stoke any day of the week.

What a shit-show we were last year, getting to the playoff final and all that crap.......love finishing 12th me.

I hated missing out on promotion AGAIN  despite all the resource given to the promotion guru - that's where I sit 👍🏻

ps - please tell me you would not have him back ?

Edited by Dave J

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

God yeah, I hated winning more than half of our games last season and being in the promotion picture for nearly all of it.

Give me mid-table obscurity and 2-2 draws at home to Hull and Stoke any day of the week.

What a shit-show we were last year, getting to the playoff final and all that crap.......love finishing 12th me.

Was great wasn't it.

Wonder how many more points we'd have with Johnstone, Terry and Snodgrass in the team this year under Smith? Plenty I'd say.

7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I hated missing out on promotion AGAIN  despite all the resource given to the promotion guru - that's where I sit 👍🏻

ps - please tell me you would not have him back ?

He had to go when he went, I'd said as much one or two weeks prior. 

That does not mean that I have to revise his entire tenure to suit a narrative. 

To hear people go on about it you'd think last season was a disaster which it just wasn't. 

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

To hear people go on about it you'd think last season was a disaster which it just wasn't. 

Oh it really was - with respect your fooling yourself only.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Was great wasn't it.

Wonder how many more points we'd have with Johnstone, Terry and Snodgrass in the team this year under Smith? Plenty I'd say.

I wonder if we'd have been able to sign Johnstone, Terry and Snodgrass under Smith? Doubtful I'd say. 

Just now, Dave J said:

Oh it really was - with respect your fooling yourself only.

No Dave, sorry but you're making yourself look silly, it was the best season we had enjoyed for years, that we did not get what we wanted at the end of it does not make it a disaster. 

If all you're concerned about is the end output then you might as well shut football out of your life entirely and just check the final league table each May. 

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think it was, and wasn't.

Finishing 4th and the journey to it was OK, failing to get promoted was a disaster. If nothing else for the implications it's having on this season and our finances.

The way we built the squad to accomplish what we did last season was/is a disaster because it left us in a terrible place going into this season.

It was short sighted and ended up giving us nothing while still costing a lot.

Now if you take last season out of context then by all means it was a pretty decent season, with a thrilling finale that sadly ended in tears.

But for me I can't really look at it that way. It was about getting promoted, or failing that about building a squad that capable of getting promoted this season.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No Dave, sorry but you're making yourself look silly, it was the best season we had enjoyed for years, that we did not get what we wanted at the end of it does not make it a disaster. 

If all you're concerned about is the end output then you might as well shut football out of your life entirely and just check the final league table each May. 

No - just because I disagree with you - does not make me silly - you sound just like another poster on here - that you know well.

Tell you what phone the club and ask to speak with the powers that be - they'll tell you in more elequent terms than I ever could - just how much a disaster last season was.

You do realise because of the promotion guru's inability to deliver his targets ( again I must add) - we could have lost our club?

Yes I agree that he wasn't in charge of the clubs coffers - but if he had delivered  -  the mess would not have happened and we might still have Johnstone, Terry and Snodgrass 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Surely not getting promoted was a bit of a blessing?

That's not in any way a defence of Bruce. It's a completely separate and coincidental point.

Had we got promoted I imagine we'd still be under Xia, as opposed to our new owners who by all accounts seem to be a much more competent outift.

Pretty sure a sale was going to take place during the summer either way, at least that's how I remember it. 

Xia made arrangements before the play off final so it could be done either way the outcome of that game..

who we'd have ended up with is anyone's guess, but I don't think it would have been Xia either way.

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, sne said:

Pretty sure a sale was going to take place during the summer either way, at least that's how I remember it. 

Xia made arrangements before the play off final so it could be done either way the outcome of that game..

who we'd have ended up with is anyone's guess, but I don't think it would have been Xia either way.

I'd not heard that. Source?

(I'm not doubting you, genuinely interested)

1 minute ago, sne said:

I agree totally - its folly to describe missing out on promotion as a blessing in disguise 

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd not heard that. Source?

(I'm not doubting you, genuinely interested)

I may very well be wrong here. 

But I remember reading about it in the Xia thread or some other thread at the time. 

Might have to go back and check so I'm not spouting nonsense :D 

Edit: There was a tread where all the wheelings and dealings about finances and potential sales were discussed but not sure which tread.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dave J said:

No - just because I disagree with you - does not make me silly - you sound just like another poster on here - that you know well.

Tell you what phone the club and ask to speak with the powers that be - they'll tell you in more elequent terms than I ever could - just how much a disaster last season was.

You do realise because of the promotion guru's inability to deliver his targets ( again I must add) - we could have lost our club?

Yes I agree that he wasn't in charge of the clubs coffers - but if he had delivered  -  the mess would not have happened and we might still have Johnstone, Terry and Snodgrass 

Actually, I’m willing to bet they wouldn’t! 😂

18 minutes ago, sne said:

I may very well be wrong here. 

But I remember reading about it in the Xia thread or some other thread at the time. 

Might have to go back and check so I'm not spouting nonsense :D 

Edit: There was a tread where all the wheelings and dealings about finances and potential sales were discussed but not sure which tread.

Fair enough, I don't remember that.

If that's the case then I'll definitely take it back. It wasn't a blessing in disguise.

However if staying in his league was what caused Xia to sell then it was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

dont know why people are still comparing our squad to last season. Grabban, Johnstone, Terry, Snodgrass are all gone

That's all fair enough.

Still have a good squad on paper though and i would expect the team to win comfortable against Wigan, Ipswich and Reading, but we aren't.  

Â