Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Most of the squad made it into the playoff final last season.

Calling them "shit" 1 season after i find ridicilous.

Under the right system and tactics this squad work very well in this league.

Reading managed to do the same thing 2 seasons ago and then were in a relegation battle a year later with the same manager and players. Explain that genius?

take a few decent players out a team and it turns to shit.

12 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I don't recall Bruce getting this much stick in his first season.

Were not getting promoted this season and people need to start to deal with it.

Dean has been left with far too much to do and inherited a complete shit house.

He's very much a long term project and is going nowhere.

If we had appointed him at the start we would probably be going up this season and have a much better squad than what we have now but we have the short minded Xia and Mr Quick Fix Wyness to thank for that.

Style's and philosophies take time to implement.

Lets at least give him a preseason eh and the chance to build his own team.

Hmmm, I’m hardly pro Bruce, but just on the highlighted section, things were certainly getting hairy in his thread around page 225 (funnily enough after the Brentford game, go have a look...Smith was getting a few plaudits amongst it, there’s praise for quick subs, funnily enough). He certainly had his criticisms at a similar stage that Smith’s at now.

Does all feel worryingly familiar to me.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's an improvement at the back and a point away from home against a team battling for their league survival.

There's a positive excuse for every loss/draw. Like when we play West Brom in a couple of weeks, " well they wanted to win this time and have Premiership players, blah blah".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Most of the squad made it into the playoff final last season.

Calling them "shit" 1 season after i find ridicilous.

Under the right system and tactics this squad work very well in this league.

Comparing the team that played in the playoff final with the team that played today we have lost Johnson, Terry, Grealish,  Snodgrass  and Grabban.  Give Smith time to bring in his own men and then judge him.  Over the last few years we have changed managers regularly and look where it has got us.

• Like 2

Some of his subs are questionable as are some team selections - I would have liked to see Davis thrown on today and really chase the win , also with whelan , Hutton and adomah and Taylor unlikely to figure next season I’d rather we use some of the players who may be part of the future - I’d have kept Bree and given him a run at right back , if we have the option on hause then let’s see what he can do at left back - kodjia would be more effective wide than Albert who has been shocking this season .

i have faith in smith but am not totally convinced by him so far .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There's a positive excuse for every loss/draw. Like when we play West Brom in a couple of weeks, " well they wanted to win this time and have Premiership players, blah blah".

Gotta take the positives out the result.

Doom and gloom will get us nowhere imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

If this carries on, he's in a precarious position. Why send the kids out on loan when you're continually playing sub par players who won't be here next season? 

This isn't the manager I thought we were getting and it worries me. 

Because this team is not good enough to go up!  

So options are throw a number of our prospects in front of a howling mass at Villa Park or get them out of the club where they can gain experience without the pressure.  Options are play players out of position or play them in their positions and hope they step up.

To play Smiths brand of football we need fit, strong and quick players with a football brain.  I will leave you to work out how many of those we currently had at the club?  For me, there is a realisation amongst some of those Bruce bought in that they will not be getting new contracts next year and will be moved on.  We are now dependent upon their professionalism as some are too old for a three year contract elsewhere.  Some like Elphick have that, others do not and are not fit to wear the shirt.

Either way, we have to see out this season to rebuild this club.  I believe Smith is the right man to do this, I also understand some have no patience whatsoever so will be on here bleating every time we drop points between now and the end of the season.  That lack of patience is exactly why we are in the shit we are currently in, Stick with the plan, have the courage of our convictions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

I think there's a bit more to it than that. For whatever reason there seems to be an air of nervousness and negativity around the club. It's been that way for years.

We create that, I hear it at Villa Park every time I go.   It is not the club, it is us.

We want the players to express themselves, stop moaning eveytime they try something that doesn’t work. Actually support instead of constantly complaining! 😡

• Like 2

Think we are gonna mug it anyway when we finally get in the Premier League with Smith's "fit strong players", type team, cause I doubt they will be good enough for the big league, The only players that seem good enough for Smith's brand of football in the Premier league belong to Man City.

35 minutes ago, macandally said:

So options are throw a number of our prospects in front of a howling mass at Villa Park or get them out of the club where they can gain experience without the pressure.  Options are play players out of position or play them in their positions and hope they step up.

To play Smiths brand of football we need fit, strong and quick players with a football brain.  I will leave you to work out how many of those we currently had at the club?  For me, there is a realisation amongst some of those Bruce bought in that they will not be getting new contracts next year and will be moved on.  We are now dependent upon their professionalism as some are too old for a three year contract elsewhere.  Some like Elphick have that, others do not and are not fit to wear the shirt.

Either way, we have to see out this season to rebuild this club.  I believe Smith is the right man to do this, I also understand some have no patience whatsoever so will be on here bleating every time we drop points between now and the end of the season.  That lack of patience is exactly why we are in the shit we are currently in, Stick with the plan, have the courage of our convictions.

Spot on. 

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Think we are gonna mug it anyway when we finally get in the Premier League with Smith's "fit strong players", type team, cause I doubt they will be good enough for the big league, The only players that seem good enough for Smith's brand of football in the Premier league belong to Man City.

That makes no sense whatsoever.  There is no quick fix, we wasted that chance when Bruce and Di Matteo blew the Crown Jewels on thirty something journeymen.  We now need to invest in potential (Davies, O’Hare etc), in youth and in those with a point to prove (Mings etc).

Lets get people in who genuinely want to fight for it, for their place, for each other and most importantly, the Manager.

3 hours ago, screwdriver said:

if we don't beat sheffield next week the fans will turn.

and watch them lose 10k off the gate at the same time.

No, the idiots that have been moaning since his appointment will turn and Villa Park will be a much better place without them. 

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

I don't recall Bruce getting this much stick in his first season.

Were not getting promoted this season and people need to start to deal with it.

Dean has been left with far too much to do and inherited a complete shit house.

He's very much a long term project and is going nowhere.

If we had appointed him at the start we would probably be going up this season and have a much better squad than what we have now but we have the short minded Xia and Mr Quick Fix Wyness to thank for that.

Style's and philosophies take time to implement.

Lets at least give him a preseason eh and the chance to build his own team.

Bruce left an incredible mess in many ways, it's going to take a long time to fix, we absolutely shouldn't expect much from this season.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, macandally said:

When Andre Green came on last week the Holte was absolutely behind him. Callum O'Hare had a mare because the whole team was changed for the cup tie. 

I'd bet a month's salary that if Dean Smith played a team of 23's  the Holte would support them 0-90. They wouldn't be good enough to go up, in the slightest, but the fans would be behind them entirely. 

Effort and endeavour over expense every single time. 

And yes, patience is great with the right person. Should we have shown Sherwood, Garde or Mcleish more patience? 

I am 100% in the Dean Smith fan club. He should have two full years I feel. I just can't stand people being belittled or ridiculed for having different opinions. He's doing a bad job at the moment and is rightly being criticised. 

This place is hilarious sometimes. Take a look around all the player threads, everyone agrees that both full backs are awful, that John McGinn is the only midfielder we have and both wingers are useless. 

Some of those very same posters come into this thread and claim that Smith is rubbish because this squad is easily good enough to finish top 6. 

Â