Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Brave. I wouldn’t want to be you when Don Cheadle, Casey Affleck and Elliot Gould read that and come looking for you.

Think they be happy i didnt compare them to Taylor, Hutton and Bolasie 😉

• Like 1

I'll start with the caveat that i don't watch any youth football, but without Grealish and Tuanzebe we look so weak in so many areas that I'd like Smith to bit a little braver with one or two of the young lads. 

Taylor is a car crash so I'd really like to see Clark recalled, and I think we are desperate for some more energy in midfield to share some of the workload with McGinn, may JDH?

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'll start with the caveat that i don't watch any youth football, but without Grealish and Tuanzebe we look so weak in so many areas that I'd like Smith to bit a little braver with one or two of the young lads. 

Taylor is a car crash so I'd really like to see Clark recalled, and I think we are desperate for some more energy in midfield to share some of the workload with McGinn, may JDH?

He definitely needs to give the youth more of a chance considering what we've been serving up. Almost seems pointless having a full bench when we know the same few will be swapped around. Atmosphere probably wouldn't be quite as bad either if we were to go behind or lose a game with a few younger players. Adapt the system, bring Davis on. Give one of the younger midfielders a chance. At least Green got minutes today but usually each week it's El Ghazi/Kodjia for Bolasie/Adomah after an hour then maybe Hogan for 10 mins or he'll swap Bjarnason and Whelan. It's so frustrating because we all think this is total shite, at least try the kids. How can they be worse?!

Let's be shit with them gaining experience rather than us moaning about the same old suspects. One of my biggest gripes with Smith is that he won't deviate from this plan that has shown for weeks it isn't working. Do something different, or stay stubborn and if the form continues expect people to turn.

• Like 1

Lets all be realistic here. Talking about giving youth a chance. Our Youth really aren’t that good for the step up. Lets face it, our first youth guy who came on today couldn’t get a game at a L1 team. Think we all need a bit of realism about the abilities of our youth players. We can maybe give 1 a chance per game but thats it

30 minutes ago, Avcol said:

He definitely needs to give the youth more of a chance considering what we've been serving up. Almost seems pointless having a full bench when we know the same few will be swapped around. Atmosphere probably wouldn't be quite as bad either if we were to go behind or lose a game with a few younger players. Adapt the system, bring Davis on. Give one of the younger midfielders a chance. At least Green got minutes today but usually each week it's El Ghazi/Kodjia for Bolasie/Adomah after an hour then maybe Hogan for 10 mins or he'll swap Bjarnason and Whelan. It's so frustrating because we all think this is total shite, at least try the kids. How can they be worse?!

Let's be shit with them gaining experience rather than us moaning about the same old suspects. One of my biggest gripes with Smith is that he won't deviate from this plan that has shown for weeks it isn't working. Do something different, or stay stubborn and if the form continues expect people to turn.

Ok, i agree about the youth, we'll might as well. the stuff about the plan not working for weeks though, its the same plan that totally turned the club around and produced some of the best football we've played for years. plus today he switched to a flatish 4-4-2 so that looks like another option.

I really hope we see enough improvement from now until the end of the season for the club to stick with Smith. But if we end up where we are now or worse I think the club would need to consider a change if a bigger name was available. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I really hope we see enough improvement from now until the end of the season for the club to stick with Smith. But if we end up where we are now or worse I think the club would need to consider a change if a bigger name was available. 

Personally I could give two shits about a name's magnitude. we should be doing everyrhing in our power to get smith and Kelly what they need.

Just now, TRO said:

What he is playing 2 wingers for......when our midfield and defence is so brittle, I have no idea.

1 is plenty....one that does what it says on the tin.

agreed, we are unbalanced because of it any team with Hutton and Taylor in defence can't play with two wingers, plus neither Thor or Connor can play as defensive midfielders or any kind of midfielder to be honest.

Whelan and Jed are realistically defensive midfielders, but Jed hasn't played in months and Whelan always seems to play high up the pitch and he just hasn't got the fitness to do that for 90 mins.

13 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Personally I could give two shits about a name's magnitude. we should be doing everyrhing in our power to get smith and Kelly what they need.

When I say a big name I mean someone that has managed successfully under large pressure. Bielsa, Rafa, Nuno etc. 

I know that’s easier said than done thought.

My concern is Smith buckling under the pressure.   Villa park can be a daunting place when we’re not winning games. It’s not something he would have experienced before. 

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Lets all be realistic here. Talking about giving youth a chance. Our Youth really aren’t that good for the step up. Lets face it, our first youth guy who came on today couldn’t get a game at a L1 team. Think we all need a bit of realism about the abilities of our youth players. We can maybe give 1 a chance per game but thats it

But then the youth player who couldn't get into a L1 team did more in his 30 minutes on the pitch than the Premiership player on 75 grand a week that he replaced.

Sometimes it's not about the current ability of a youngster, it's about having the drive and energy to want to perform in a game. So many players are lacking it in this team at the moment. At lease Green worked hard when he got onto the pitch, helped Abraham press and had a go at the full backs.

I'm fairly sure that Doyle-Hayes or O'Hare wouldn't have done any worse than Bjarnasson in that midfield today either.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

What he is playing 2 wingers for......when our midfield and defence is so brittle, I have no idea.

1 is plenty....one that does what it says on the tin.

I'm so confused by this... You want to play one winger? That would be a really unbalanced formation ?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new owners made a typical newbie mistake when it comes to footballer club ownership. They went on the message boards and saw who was popular with the fans. Fast and cheap. Brentford have been our bogey team since we went down they zipped the ball around at such a tempo I was dazzlled by them too. It was a massive gamble that they're looking likely to lose.

We should of gone all out to get brendan rogers. Blow celtic out of the water with compo. Yes we need to build for the future. But we need to be in the prem before we end up like Accrington Stanley. Their nativity means we are stranded in the hellish purgatory that is the sky bet championship.

I miss the premiership matchday experience so much. I'd swap the 50 year old angry cagool wearing yorkshire nutters giving me the rocket polisher sign for  the chinese guys filming the games with ipads and waving at me at old trafford anyday of the week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

The new owners made a typical newbie mistake when it comes to footballer club ownership. They went on the message boards and saw who was popular with the fans. Fast and cheap. Brentford have been our bogey team since we went down they zipped the ball around at such a tempo I was dazzlled by them too. It was a massive gamble that they're looking likely to lose.

We should of gone all out to get brendan rogers. Blow celtic out of the water with compo. Yes we need to build for the future. But we need to be in the prem before we end up like Accrington Stanley. Their nativity means we are stranded in the hellish purgatory that is the sky bet championship.

I miss the premiership matchday experience so much. I'd swap the 50 year old angry cagool wearing yorkshire nutters giving me the rocket polisher sign for  the chinese guys filming the games with ipads and waving at me at old trafford anyday of the week.

I can imagine Nassef Sawiris, Chrstian Purslow and Wes Edens all looking on Villatalk for new manager ideas

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

So are you saying that after 3 months and half a transfer window we have made a mistake by bringing in Smith because we aren't zipping the ball around at a high tempo?

It's not FIFA, we actually have to change things to progress and it will take time.

Today wasn't Smith's fault at all, we were awful first half, there was no pressing, no tempo, no desire. Second half the same team came out and started doing all of those things. The players know what they have to do, if they aren't doing it it's on them. It's now upto Smith to weed out the ones that won't work for him, and the ones that don't fit the system.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

And it's this stupid thinking that is the issue!! This 'spunking' money up the wall is what has gotten us into all sorts of problems plus the fact it shows the 'spoilt' brat mentality of a lot of our fans!

Edited by New_Hope

Â