Dean Smith

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, peterw said:

I'm afraid its the times we're living in. 

Football managers get it from the owners because of the amount of money in the game. The slightest feeling of losing money will see a manager come under more pressure and then a manager gets sacked. The problem wth that is that until you land on one where it works out, you become victim of chasing your own tail and sack and sack again, to justify the very first time you did it. We actually think 'wow' to any top flight manager - maybe even lower down the rungs - that have survived for 3 seasons. I remember coming into the 80s West ham had something like 3  mangers since the end of WW2 (or something).  Longevity was possible without the weight of millions, or billions.

But fans have also got a lot to answer for. We live in a digital age where we demand instant reaction and gratification. Where we expect to get what we want and demand to be heard. I mean look at us, here, banging our drum because we demand a voice and think its important. People opine rather than base their opinions on facts and its what gets us into trouble in the political world (think brexit) and can allow a platform for fans to demand A B or C simply because they think they're right. 

I'm right though, I know. 

The tragedy is.....There are arguments for longevity and arguments, to cull......and there are cases, where both have shown success.

I do favour the longevity, argument, with reservations......Jam does not always arrive tomorrow....I think a manager does need time, how much, is tricky, it varies from club to club as an example Frank left Tuchel a treasure trove of players to work with Tuchel is a different personality to Frank and maybe added that edge they needed, only time will tell, whether the move was right....Its all about having ALL the attributes for success and we are all human, we have some and not others and its hard to know which ones make the most impact...and its fanciful to have them all.

for example.....I think Dean is a great builder, in terms of stability and creating the environment for everyone to be happy, I think Dean thinks about his peoples welfare and well being....That is not to be sniffed at, a happy environment bodes well.....Personally, I think his next challenge is to add that edge to him of demanding and driving players to be better, some like Jack are intrisically motivated, which makes it easier....some need to be driven and I am not totally sure they all are.....I am not sure Dean is a driver yet like Saunders or Biesla or Tuchel

His reaction to that question by sky about the 19 dropped points, was not entirely clever Imo....."I'm not bothered" is a line I wouldn't have chosen, even if he did elaborate...." We are working very hard on it"  " I am aware and so are my players" is far more positive.

Managers will not be judged entirely on what they say all of the time, they all have off days, particularly with Sky.......but said too many times, folk may form an opinion.

Dean was cleared pissed off with that second half, but he does need to develop a proactive approach as opposed to his reactive approach, I am hoping he develops that, when he has more options to make meaningful changes next season and an opportunity to change the game properly, not just like for like chnages......The summer will tell us if we recruit the variety of player to help him/us to do that.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I was referring to when they apponted poch not sacked him!

So? 

Sacking of Sherwood for Poch happened for the same reasons as Poch for Mourinho. 

If sacking managers after a bad spell is the right thing to do, then sacking Poch for Mourinho was the right thing to do. Results indicate not. 

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Dean says erm way too touch, he needs to stop cos this could swing me the other way.

yeah, it's his eyes isn't it. I get lost in them too. 

that is what you mean, isn't it?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yawn this is getting very boring

Its not like i havent explained  why i have said i wanted smith sacked

i have  an agenda  you putting words in peoples mouths and spin it  

i have said smith should be sacked due to the current form at the end of the season.

Wahoo! I win.

Just now, Zatman said:

His point was we should ssck Smith mid season as it worked for Poch. But it wasnt a mid season sacking

Not really, the first season he was appointed they finished with 5 points fewer than under Sherwood. It was only after a summer that their improvement began. 

11 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Dean says erm way too touch, he needs to stop cos this could swing me the other way.

Yeah no, yeah no, yeah no

😆

I’m glad managers aren’t judged by their interview prowess!

Beloved Bielsa still refuses to or can’t even speak the language!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I know you can’t ignore the early season form. We were ace up until Christmas. Way better than anyone expected, but when you get such a long spell of poor form, the pressure is going to be there from the people who have invested £300m or whatever it is on new players.

I know people don’t like to hear it but it’s true. I said after the CP match that I wanted a change. I have obviously calmed down a bit now and can see things from a wider perspective but those kind of stats will grab the attention of the owners and not in a good way. Whether any of us think it’s right or wrong, another 2 performances like Sunday and I would not be surprised to see Dean sacked.

Just for the record, what I would like to see are 2 very good performances, regardless of results, that show we are on the right track. If we get those then I will be happy. 

i understand your perspective.

Personally, i think Deano's progression with us has been overall very positive, we have gone from mid table championship to mid table PL in 2.5 years.

Yes i think we have had some issues, some really glaring issues at times, but overall i also think Deano deserves this summer to really invest in some key players, and can then rightly be judged on the first half of next season.

If we invest another 100-125m in the summer on 3-4 really key players (without losing any key players), i think we can then rightly judge either positively or negatively the job Deano is doing by mid next season.

Personally i hope he knocks it out of the park next season with some key additions, i think he is an important part of the overall club rebuild, but i wont let that cloud my judgement if we are on a 40 point season next year after another 100m+ invested.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why? 

Would you be happier if we were playing better but sitting 16th? Would you prefer us to be Brighton this season?

The end result is what matters. The journey is important don't get me wrong, but ultimately where we finish after 38 games is the key thing. 

This is a long term plan, we keep improving aspects of our player and continue building a squad. There's really no reason to think that other issues won't be addressed. 

If the Journey, is how we play.....We are on the same page...thats what I am referring to.

Because the more things you get right, the more likelyhood there is, to be in the positions of the table we all want to be in.

I did say, in my post, First things first....as an analogy The owner of woolworths once said quote " Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves"   There is a point in there.....and that was partly mine.

If you watch Man city and then watch West Brom as a example and have no idea where they are in the league....chances are you would guess about right.......What we do during a game and how we play is Paramount to where we finish in the league.....Not saying the League doesn't matter, but it is a result of what we do in a match over the 9 months......A great department like strikers or Defenders can mask over the issues of a complete team....They can mislead the overall analysis.

If you watch the game with any analytical interest, we have flaws and weaknesses, we need to remove.....On Sunday, they were there for all to see, if fact the mood swing from the first half to the second was dramatic to say the least and an epitomy of our whole season in one game.....We had no answer to it.

it is most unlikely to say we would be playing better, but sitting in 16th if you take in consideration of all aspects of the game, not just a selected few......We are playing better in general, thats why we are 11th, but we still have tell tale signs from last season in some games.

Ollie and Emi have made huge additional attributes to our game, hence the improved League position.....but we are not complete yet, we still have work to do on key area's of our play.....The summer should in theory address them.

Do you not see that?

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

There is no chance Dean Smith gets sacked, regardless of the next two games. 

I doubt there is a single pundit or neutral fan who thinks Smith's job is on the line. 

I don’t disagree about the pundit/neutral fan point but part of that is because Villa go under the radar. They will not look at the detail. They will just see a club that finished 17th last season and 11/12th this season. They won’t look at form, performance, injuries, sequencing of games etc. I think the owners will take everything into account, positive and negative and that he will come under pressure.  Just my opinion of course. I could be well wide of the mark.

Question (because I never watched much of Brentford apart from a little of when they handed our asses to us):

How have we compared to the style and system Dean implemented at Brentford? Is it quite similar or quite different?

Just curious…

And also how does the role of players in each position compare? E.g. has Doug been playing the same role as Woods did for them? Performed as well/better comparatively?

They absolutely tore through us when Bruce was in charge, Jota had a field day down at Griffin Park. 

Do we or have we employed the same style or patterns of play or is it something quite different?

I’m guessing that Dean has changed his ways a bit, especially with how resilient he has made our defence. But has the attacking style or impetus had to be curtailed at all?

Interested to know…

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t disagree about the pundit/neutral fan point but part of that is because Villa go under the radar. They will not look at the detail. They will just see a club that finished 17th last season and 11/12th this season. They won’t look at form, performance, injuries, sequencing of games etc. I think the owners will take everything into account, positive and negative and that he will come under pressure.  Just my opinion of course. I could be well wide of the mark.

and thats where the Devil lies.

The owners will do all that....and I back their Judgment.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah no, yeah no, yeah no

😆

I’m glad managers aren’t judged by their interview prowess!

Beloved Bielsa still refuses to or can’t even speak the language!

I'm preying for Bielsa to be linked to spurs job and the sky scum6 representative who talks to him after next game comes up with this super long leading question pro spurs bull crap desperate for a scoop and the interpreter takes 5 minutes to translate the question only the crack maniac Bielsa to raise an eyebrow, offer a little smirk and say.............. NO.

A2994CC8-4177-40B1-BB48-A1D3BDBC6C9C.thumb.jpeg.a285f5740dcaa57d18d18f7d9940cebc.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Question (because I never watched much of Brentford apart from a little of when they handed our asses to us):

How have we compared to the style and system Dean implemented at Brentford? Is it quite similar or quite different?

Just curious…

And also how does the role of players in each position compare? E.g. has Doug been playing the same role as Woods did for them? Performed as well/better comparatively?

They absolutely tore through us when Bruce was in charge, Jota had a field day down at Griffin Park. 

Do we or have we employed the same style or patterns of play or is it something quite different?

I’m guessing that Dean has changed his ways a bit, especially with how resilient he has made our defence. But has the attacking style or impetus had to be curtailed at all?

Interested to know…

This article shows comparison:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/dean-smith-aston-villa-grealish-brentford/

A 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 have similarly provided the foundation for much of the progress seen with Villa, but Villa have offered greater variety. Where Brentford were so often most creative from the centre of the pitch, Villa provide an increased number of crosses because of the extent to which they attack around the outside of their opponents.

The versatility of Romaine Sawyers and Li Ke, who when needed featured as both the second defensive or attacking midfielder, therefore proved as valuable as their striker Scott Hogan's ability to play with his back to goal. 

seth meyers lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

No Way Reaction GIF by Freeform

Surprised Wait What GIF

Wait What GIF

lucious lyon wtf GIF

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Meme Wtf GIF

• Haha 1

Where Brentford were so often most creative from the centre of the pitch, Villa provide an increased number of crosses because of the extent to which they attack around the outside of their opponents.

We really need that creativity from the centre too, hopefully our transfer activity will allow for that. Too often we go wide and deliver poorly or to no one.

Â