Dean Smith

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

If the Journey, is how we play.....We are on the same page...thats what I am referring to.

Because the more things you get right, the more likelyhood there is, to be in the positions of the table we all want to be in.

I did say, in my post, First things first....as an analogy The owner of woolworths once said quote " Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves"   There is a point in there.....and that was partly mine.

If you watch Man city and then watch West Brom as a example and have no idea where they are in the league....chances are you would guess about right.......What we do during a game and how we play is Paramount to where we finish in the league.....Not saying the League doesn't matter, but it is a result of what we do in a match over the 9 months......A great department like strikers or Defenders can mask over the issues of a complete team....They can mislead the overall analysis.

If you watch the game with any analytical interest, we have flaws and weaknesses, we need to remove.....On Sunday, they were there for all to see, if fact the mood swing from the first half to the second was dramatic to say the least and an epitomy of our whole season in one game.....We had no answer to it.

it is most unlikely to say we would be playing better, but sitting in 16th if you take in consideration of all aspects of the game, not just a selected few......We are playing better in general, thats why we are 11th, but we still have tell tale signs from last season in some games.

Ollie and Emi have made huge additional attributes to our game, hence the improved League position.....but we are not complete yet, we still have work to do on key area's of our play.....The summer should in theory address them.

Do you not see that?

I absolutely agree. 

My issue with Steve Bruce, was that we never looked like his style would lead to consistent results. Like I say, the journey is important. 

But also I appreciate the journey isn't finished and expecting it to be is daft. We've changed leagues and rebuilt a squad and only had one proper pre season with Dean as manager. 

We also have to rely on players who really have no right playing in this league (elmo, davis) and have back up options who still have huge question marks over their ability to play at this level. 

I'd much prefer to discuss our issues and how they get resolved because I don't believe we have to centre it around criticism. I can discuss our inability to keep the ball at times and how we can improve, without having to criticise Dean or make out his jobs on the line.

The need to criticise is where the foot stamping analogy comes in. It's clear there are improvements needed but most of us are able to accept that this is a long term project and we're not going to be the finished article at this time. 

I think Gerrard is the most realistic candidate to take over if Dean ever was to get the sack.

Young and talented manager and obviously the connection with Purslow. 

Would be a big risk but any appointment is. 

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

and thats where the Devil lies.

The owners will do all that....and I back their Judgment.

I think there's more chance that Dean gets a new contract in the summer than being sacked. 

An obvious point, but we badly need to improve our ball retention…

We need to hold onto it for a bit, look up and pick the right man out, not just hurry to get rid or move it on (and risk handing the initiative back to the opposition). That’s why our defence comes under pressure at times, if the ball keeps coming back all the time it’s a big problem. It’s not been a common theme throughout the season and I’m sure it will be addressed…

Again, strengthen the team & squad accordingly and that will help us (and allow us to rotate and rest a bit so some of the players who were previously performing well don’t burn out and lose form so drastically).

We should take solace, hope and optimism from our last period of summer activity. Martinez, Cash & Watkins were huge signings for us and addressed key areas…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I absolutely agree. 

My issue with Steve Bruce, was that we never looked like his style would lead to consistent results. Like I say, the journey is important. 

What style?

But also I appreciate the journey isn't finished and expecting it to be is daft. We've changed leagues and rebuilt a squad and only had one proper pre season with Dean as manager. 

We also have to rely on players who really have no right playing in this league (elmo, davis) and have back up options who still have huge question marks over their ability to play at this level. 

Spot on!

I'd much prefer to discuss our issues and how they get resolved because I don't believe we have to centre it around criticism. I can discuss our inability to keep the ball at times and how we can improve, without having to criticise Dean or make out his jobs on the line.

The need to criticise is where the foot stamping analogy comes in. It's clear there are improvements needed but most of us are able to accept that this is a long term project and we're not going to be the finished article at this time. 

Yep

Reading that article is another reminder of how well we were doing, don’t forget that.

Various factors (that I can’t be bothered to repeat yet again) disrupted and stalled that.

We will be back and we will be better.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Could be a case of teams figuring us out since then. 

Remember the West Ham game when they doubled up on Jack. We did not know what to do. 

Liverpool didn’t know what to do when we blitzed them…

Should they have sacked Klopp?

And also after a poor season for them?

Give it a rest.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Could be a case of teams figuring us out since then. 

Remember the West Ham game when they doubled up on Jack. We did not know what to do. 

Not at all. Do you think that's the first time a team double up'd on Jack? It just happened that Coufal had a great game on the night. he's had that attention for most of the season and dealt with it. He hasn't suddenly been found out.

Cash won’t be back till next season so I wonder if we should play Konsa at RB & have Hause next to Mings in the remaining games?

Elmo let us down against Palace (I can’t see any of our other defenders turning their back and be fearful of an incoming shot) and is clearly not cut out for this league, he’s served us well but time has caught up with him. He’s not very disciplined defensively and is often caught out… it’s a vulnerability that the opposition look to exploit when they can.

I have no idea how good Kesler is but it would seem unwise to throw him in against Spurs & Chelsea. We’re going to be under pressure.

We need Guilbert back next season to compete with Cash and cover for injury too (I hope his hamstring issues aren’t a long term thing).

Kesler could be great but I can’t form a solid opinion on him.

Edited by Jas10

27 minutes ago, peterw said:

Not at all. Do you think that's the first time a team double up'd on Jack? It just happened that Coufal had a great game on the night. he's had that attention for most of the season and dealt with it. He hasn't suddenly been found out.

Plus one of the effects of doubling up on Jack is to create space for our other players, which only works to our advantage. 

Just now, eholm said:

Still think we could see Jack moved to 10 next season. Be interesting to see if he plays their in last 2 games. 

I think he might be focused on England, so I doubt they will try anything too radical in the last few games. He will be trying to make an impression (although he's clearly not up to speed fitness wise yet). 

Just now, eholm said:

Still think we could see Jack moved to 10 next season. Be interesting to see if he plays their in last 2 games. 

No objection to that, maybe we sign an outstanding LW or AM so the two of them can alternate, link up and enjoy playing together. Makes us a serious threat again. We looked so good when Jack and Barkley were linking up (and when he had some semblance of form). Just imagine if we sign someone superior to Ross (not hard to do), we could well be flying again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I think he might be focused on England, so I doubt they will try anything too radical in the last few games. He will be trying to make an impression (although he's clearly not up to speed fitness wise yet). 

Fair point but as long he is getting minutes and being involved shifting him across wouldn't/shoudn't impact him too much, IMO.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

No objection to that, maybe we sign an outstanding LW or AM so the two of them can alternate, link up and enjoy playing together. Makes us a serious threat again. We looked so good when Jack and Barkley were linking up (and when he had some semblance of form). Just imagine if we sign someone superior to Ross (not hard to do), we could well be flying again.

My thoughts precisely. I still think he's harder to nullify if playing centrally and it will improve him even more. Varies our attacking as well instead of being so LHS dominant. 

• Like 1

Â