Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Go on, I'm listening. What am I in denial about? Because you're unrealistic expectations don't count. 

What expectations are these that you keep mentioning or is it something you've just made up?

Please, show me this material that you resort to.

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But you're referring back to the days of Lerner where we sold any decent player we had and spent the little money Lerner was prepared to sanction on shite like Tonev, Helenius and Grant Holt. Completely different times to now.

I dont see how its different, same league and this is our first season in it that we havent fought a relegation battle since 2010

Maybe time to adjust your expectations, we have players in our squad who arent that much better than ones you mentioned and played more games

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TRO said:

Jude Bellingham -17

Saka- 19

Smith Rowe 20

Phil Foden- just 20

Gary Shaw was 17.....Andy Gray was 19 when he joined us.....Gareth Barry -18 .....Trevor Francis 16 over the way.

I think the question is more about are they good enough.....If they are good enough, they are old enough.

Its a contentious subject Nick, some mature quicker than others, some are physically ready before others, some are mentally ready before others.......its all about having an affect on a game, age is neither here or there, for me.

I would say this though, if a young player is not good enough, but is thrown in for whatever reason, that could be detrimental.....its all about being able to cope and be happy in your environment....age is subjective IMO.

“Age is subjective” 

Ibrahimovic (39), still playing at Milan

Claudio Pizarro was 41 when retired last season at Werder Bremen

Gareth Barry was 39 when he retired

So should we be throwing in 40 year old men.  I’m being facetious now obviously but picking the rare examples at end of the spectrum doesn’t help the argument.  Do you really think the kids mentioned are ready and should be thrown into the current slump we are in? I don’t think they ready and I also don’t think you throw them into a team in this kind of slump.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

What expectations are these that you keep mentioning or is it something you've just made up?

Please, show me this material that you resort to.

I believe you said top 6 was easily achievable. 

What was I in denial about?

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yeah because I'd much prefer our players drank and took drugs after training like players of old did.

Seriously are some people that upset that our players are playing video games in their own spare time. If that's the case then that's utterly ridiculous.

We didn't give a toss when we were winning, but a few crap results and we need to invent a reason to turn on our players.

To be honest, if it affects their training schedule, fatigue,  and sleep quality, it's not really " their spare time " anymore.

It's potentially affecting the jobs they are paid millions to do. They are athletes. Cognitive and physical function need to be at peak levels.

I could never picture professional Teams in the USA co-signing things like this.

Believe it or not, they are VERY strict on things like this, and rightly so.

In their time off, they get to live lives better than 90 percent of the population, it's give and take.

Saying " People are upset because players are playing video games in their spare time " is simplifying the notion.

No one cares what they do in their spare time, it's the lack of discipline/time management of said " spare time " which could ( And even might already ) bleed into affecting levels on the pitch.

I couldn't even picture Usain Bolt getting to train later because he was playing Call of Duty all night.

Could you picture Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, or even Zlatan doing this?

I'm a gamer and semi social media person too so I get it, but I still can't agree with it. My options would either be to go to work tired, or to adjust my schedule to my job hours, to be able to perform optimally.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be honest, if it affects their training schedule, fatigue,  and sleep quality, it's not really " their spare time " anymore.

It's potentially affecting the jobs they are paid millions to do.

I could never picture professional Teams in the USA co-signing things like this.

Believe it or not, they are VERY strict on things like this, and rightly so.

In their time off, they get to libe lives better than 90 percent of the population, it's give and take.

Saying " People are upset because players are playing video games in their spare time " is simplifying the notion.

No one cares what they do in their spare time, it's the lack of discipline/time management of said " spare time " which could ( And even might already ) bleed into affecting levels on the pitch.

I couldn't even picture Usain Bolt getting to train later because he was playing Call of Duty all night.

None of it seemed to matter when we beat Liverpool 7-2, for me to buy into this theory Id need to see proof that our players were lacking physical condition...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

“Age is subjective” 

Ibrahimovic (39), still playing at Milan

Claudio Pizarro was 41 when retired last season at Werder Bremen

Gareth Barry was 39 when he retired

So should we be throwing in 40 year old men.  I’m being facetious now obviously but picking the rare examples at end of the spectrum doesn’t help the argument.  Do you really think the kids mentioned are ready and should be thrown into the current slump we are in? I don’t think they ready and I also don’t you throw them into a team in this kind of slump.

The one youth player that is deemed the most ready by the club hasn’t quite been good enough.  God knows why fans think others are able to just start a game and make a difference. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

You mean Smith doesn't just have to click on "offer to clubs" or "list for transfer" for the offers to come rolling in?

My life has been a lie.

I genuinely think FIFA and FM are to blame for the way fans act at times these days. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I believe you said top 6 was easily achievable. 

What was I in denial about?

Not so much denial, more so about ignoring points that are being put across to you.

I said "for most parts of this season we have been in a realistic position to finish 5th, 6th or 7th", which we have been.

Let me make one final thing clear on this, I didn't come into this season thinking or expecting us to finish in the top 6.

However, seeing us in such a position right up until January to be in with a realistic shout of finishing in one of those positions, this was realistically achievable based on our results and league position up until then.

Since then, we have looked mediocre and bang average and it's frustrating we have thrown all our hard work away with stupid results to teams that are 14th-20th.

I hope this makes sense and clears up the confusion.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, you're just really ignoring the point. It's almost denial. 

If your whole mentality is based on every so often a team finished much higher than expected then I can see why you're upset all the time. 

Again, like I told the poster who claimed top 6 could have easily been achieved, its not Dean's problem if you've created these ridiculous expectations based on nothing. 

You have ignored near enough all my points. No point continuing this discussion 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I genuinely think FIFA and FM are to blame for the way fans act at times these days. 

To be fair, it's not even as easy as some fans expect it to be in FM/FIFA anymore either. Lol

Players reject moves, wages, get unhappy. Boards get involved, your finances are affected if you do things stupidly as well. 

They're becoming more realistic by each release.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, it's not even as easy as some fans expect it to be in FM/FIFA anymore either. Lol

Players reject moves, wages, get unhappy. Boards get involved, your finances are affected if you do things stupidly as well. 

They're becoming more realistic by each release.

I dont know, i got 7 million combined for Elmo, Lansbury and Taylor recently in FM 😉

Lange Out

Edited by Zatman
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

It's comments like this that are really not helpful. It's NOT football manager. You can't just adjust a slider and suddenly have more money to spend against the wage bill.

It's quite clear we were up against it in terms of FFP, we had other areas that needed addressing, which we did extremely well in the main. 

There's more factors than we could've sold him. Did anyone want to buy him? Was anyone willing to pay what we would've wanted in the middle of a pandemic? Trez probably doesn't want to leave, especially with us staying up. 

You make it sound like we could've just sold him and bought another player in, easy. I think you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

It's the like the comments saying 'we could've finished top 6, easy' Is it easy?? Is it really easy? It's really not. Finishing top 8 is not easy, not even when we were in our best position. You have to have a level of intensity, a level of consistency that we just cannot achieve with our squad to be finishing there. Not realistically. Yes, there are always exceptions to the rule. But, realistically, we were never going to be good enough to finish top 8 this year. 12-9 is a good season for us. Excellent first half to the season or not.

I see this football manager quite being bought about alot.i dont think there is football manager about it.

We all seen trez is not consistent and he really is not good enough for this level. He has 0 goals 0 assists this year. He was heavily linked in the summer with Turkey but we kept him on and smith felt we only needed one winger in traore. 

Now im hearing excuses from some posters that because trez and aeg cant get in any of the top sides that means we shouldnt be looking at challenging for europe.

No one said finishin top 8 was easy but it was achoevable this year due to how bad the likes liverpool spurs wolves arsenal etc have been.

We havent even had injuries like leicester have yet they seem to cope. Why is it we cant cope with one player injured?

Its poor and not good enough. Wewill never achowve anything if we cabt cope when grealish gets injured 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I see this football manager quite being bought about alot.i dont think there is football manager about it.

We all seen trez is not consistent and he really is not good enough for this level. He has 0 goals 0 assists this year. He was heavily linked in the summer with Turkey but we kept him on and smith felt we only needed one winger in traore. 

Now im hearing excuses from some posters that because trez and aeg cant get in any of the top sides that means we shouldnt be looking at challenging for europe.

No one said finishin top 8 was easy but it was achoevable this year due to how bad the likes liverpool spurs wolves arsenal etc have been.

We havent even had injuries like leicester have yet they seem to cope. Why is it we cant cope with one player injured?

Its poor and not good enough. Wewill never achowve anything if we cabt cope when grealish gets injured 

He was linked and nobidy obviously bid for him. Its an international pandemic as well, clubs arent splashing big money around especially for mediocre wingers

We made a loss on Samatta 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Trez isn't consistant no, but he helped us achieve a good spell in the beginning of the season and we're pretty thin on options in our squad as it is so it made sense to keep him around.

Excuses? you're comparing us to teams that have had more chances to shop around. Of course everything is in the realm of possibility, but to have some grounded expectations isn't exactly making excuses. If you think that our expectations are too low you have to be willing to accept that others might think that yours are too high.

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

A little bit but it's way more than that I think. It's the instant nature of everything nowadays and the always on economy which has been exacerbated by lockdowns etc. You can't go for a few pints, you can't kick a lad at training or in a sunday league game to let out your frustrations. You can't go to a stadium at the weekend and shout abuse at players for 90 minutes. People just let loose on their keyboards.

Computer games have always been computer games and as @JAMAICAN-VILLAN said they are actually becoming more and more realistic. I blame social media more so. You have everyone trying to break the news first, which quite often turns out to be wrong but people run with it in any case because it was first. The truth comes then maybe an hour later and is then lost in the shitshow that has gone before. Anyway that's enough from me on this subject.

The Simpsons - Old Man Yells At Cloud - YouTube

• Like 4

Â