Dean Smith

Demitri_C

It is unbelievable how negative a lot of you are yet you somehow are criticising me for thinking Smith should make substitutes and fails to manage games well (which has been his number one criticism ever since he joined. Look at what I wrote in the Craig Shakespeare thread when he signed) 

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As it happens I think the goal should stand and I think it should have been a penalty

Really harsh thing about that penalty though would have been it was bouncing to Martinez for an easy catch. Makes no difference to your point of course.

1 minute ago, Mark_1989 said:

I’m proud of smith tonight, didn’t revert back to a Trez substitute. Tried to keep us attacking. Clearly dosent trust our bench.

We were poor today, however we have a decent first 11, improve our bench and this team is going places.

Our bench is better than every team in the bottom half of the table. Why are people saying our bench is shit. It is enough to not be relegated as a team. So it is good enough to provide energy for 20 minutes in a game. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

McGinn handballed it. At first I thought it was a straight red but Djneppo heads it against mcginns arm. 

Djneppo fouled him hence Mcginn handled it accidentally due to the foul. Anyhow I'm off to celebrate Dean Smith's tactical nous for the first win against Southampton for 7 years.

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

It is unbelievable how negative a lot of you are yet you somehow are criticising me for thinking Smith should make substitutes and fails to manage games well (which has been his number one criticism ever since he joined. Look at what I wrote in the Craig Shakespeare thread when he signed) 

Yeah, we're all so negative in embracing our progression, number of points and enjoying a win tonight instead of trying to pick apart the 3 points we've got. 

• Like 1

Meh.

Nothing we really need to be having major arguments about.

It's sometimes hard for people to explain themselves properly without being taken out of context, via text.

As another poster above said, when you hear the explanation for it, it puts you at a bit of ease. However it still doesn't stop in game emotions running high.

I think what @MotoMkali was trying to say, would be similar to what many a poster would say about s striker for example " If he had put away those chances, we would be 6 points better off ", for example?

" A good keeper is worth 10 - 15 points per season ".

We could realistically say there is no proof of that either and maybe we would still be where we are with Nyland starting?

Most likely Bollox but " Where is the proof? ". The fact that it has been brought up by so many people obviously means it's a concern of some.

I'm sure I even heard the lads from Villa View talking about it, but then saying they now understand due to Deanos explanation.

We could all get into semantics competetions, and in reality it mostly comes down to " my non factual assumption is better than yours ".

I think some posters are way too defensive. To the point where they will purposely try to misenterprate and/or flip a valid opinion.

They might not necessarily be correct but who on here is 100 percent correct?

Ive seen all types of hyperbole from a variety of posters across different threads.

Yes we've won, yes we've massively improved, we are doing better than we could have imagined.

But if you can appreciate " Fine margins " arguments when it comes to players, surely you can also appreciate a fine margins argument about management?

Nothing is guaranteed one way or another, but it doesn't disqualify the debate altogether. IMO

Similarly to when we say " If it wasn't for VAR, we'd probably be top 6 ". " But where is the proof "?

Who is to say if Watkins " Offside " goals were allowed, the other team wouldn't have scored 3 times in 3 minutes? 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We made a pretty early sub against Leeds when 1 down and lost by 3. 

We made a sub against wolves and he scored a winning prem. 

I don't remember the subs crowd piping up after either of those games. 

The thing is I would get the criticism of Smiths lack of subs and in game management if it kept losing us games. But we’re 8th with a game in hand to become 5th. Maybe it’s time for some to whilst not agree with his methods, accept maybe the guy knows what he is doing!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

The thing is I would get the criticism of Smiths lack of subs and in game management if it kept losing us games. But we’re 8th with a game in hand to become 5th. Maybe it’s time for some to whilst not agree with his methods, expect the guy knows what he is doing!

Absolutely. Which is why the statement, 'we'd be higher if he made simple changes' is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read on here for a good while.

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Our bench is better than every team in the bottom half of the table. Why are people saying our bench is shit. It is enough to not be relegated as a team. So it is good enough to provide energy for 20 minutes in a game. 

And your point is.

I’m setting my sights higher than relegation and bottom half of the table. Don’t know about you but I feel we can achieve much more if not this year certainly next. One way to do that is improve our bench.

Our replacement striker has score something like 2 in 45 or something - so it’s just a thought, maybe we need to upgrade going forward, regardless of Wes coming back.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Meh.

Nothing we really need to be having major arguments about.

It's sometimes hard for people to explain themselves properly without being taken out of context, via text.

As another poster above said, when you hear the explanation for it, it puts you at a bit of ease. However it still doesn't stop in game emotions running high.

I think what @MotoMkali was trying to say, would be similar to what many a poster would say about s striker for example " If he had put away those chances, we would be 6 points better off ", for example?

" A good keeper is worth 10 - 15 points per season ".

We could realistically say there is no proof of that either and maybe we would still be where we are with Nyland starting?

Most likely Bollox but " Where is the proof? ". The fact that it has been brought up by so many people obviously means it's a concern of some.

I'm sure I even heard the lads from Villa View talking about it, but then saying they now understand due to Deanos explanation.

We could all get into semantics competetions, and in reality it mostly comes down to " my non factual assumption is better than yours ".

I think some posters are way too defensive. To the point where they will purposely try to misenterprate and/or flip a valid opinion.

They might not necessarily be correct but who on here is 100 percent correct?

Ive seen all types of hyperbole from a variety of posters across different threads.

Yes we've won, yes we've massively improved, we are doing better than we could have imagined.

But if you can appreciate " Fine margins " arguments when it comes to players, surely you can also appreciate a fine margins argument about management?

Nothing is guaranteed one way or another, but it doesn't disqualify the debate altogether. IMO

Similarly to when we say " If it wasn't for VAR, we'd probably be top 6 ". " But where is the proof "?

Who is to say if Watkins " Offside " goals were allowed, the other team wouldn't have scored 3 times in 3 minutes? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Might be to do with how many people demanded the man should have lost his job last season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

It's not just about energy, it's about cohesion too. Fresh legs are great but if they're not working with the rest of the team then it's not much better. 

I was thinking fresh legs myself but at the same time, I was also thinking how one cog could mess things up. It's not a lack of trust in those from the bench, just a situation can be dealt with many ways. 

I've seen it at many levels at many clubs where teams are hanging on, bring on fresh legs and concede anyways. 

There is no formula for it. To act like there is is silly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

It's not just about energy, it's about cohesion too. Fresh legs are great but if they're not working with the rest of the team then it's not much better. 

I was thinking fresh legs myself but at the same time, I was also thinking how one cog could mess things up. It's not a lack of trust in those from the bench, just a situation can be dealt with many ways. 

I've seen it at many levels at many clubs where teams are hanging on, bring on fresh legs and concede anyways. 

There is no formula for it. To act like there is is silly.

Spot on. 

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ive asked this question earlier but nobody answered.  If we made 2-3 subs today but lost. Would you have been happier with Smith?

Certainly not, my argument for making more subs was to offer fresh legs for the tired ones ie Barkley/Traore in the hope that it's ease the onslaught or make way for better defencive display.

I think it's as simple as that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Haha I was alone for over 20 years but recently stumbled onto the Adelaide Lions. There is a little cafe we meet at for kick offs at a reasonable hour. 

2 pints, a feed, and 3 points and home by 830am. Loving today so much.

Deeply might have overstated it a touch but I do think he could be making a mistake. Trez would have definitely done a better job the last 20mins than Traore in my view but hey ho.

I remember beer before 8.30am, not for Villa unfortunately but for England football or rugby games when I knew groups and mates getting together at stupid o’clock.  Like you, I watched Villa in the early hours on my lonesome although I must have woken up some of my neighbours when I was shouting.

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

He was offside. Have you also forgotten when Mcginn was clean through got fouled by Djneppo and somehow they got the free kick?

Ugh yeah, that decision was bollocks. Would have made SJM completely free against their keeper too and something tells me he would have killed the game for us if it hadn't been for the ref.

Just now, supermon said:

Certainly not, my argument for making more subs was to offer fresh legs for the tired ones ie Barkley/Traore in the hope that it's ease the onslaught or make way for better defencive display.

I think it's as simple as that.

Key point in bold. Smith was probably thinking the same yet stuck to his guns and we won. The 10th win this season.  I’m not sure how people can say his subs and in game management is a weakness. Maybe his lack of subs has actually been winning us points and it’s actually his strength! 

If I remember correctly, tactics Tim used to love a substitute ;)

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe it’s time for some to whilst not agree with his methods, accept maybe the guy knows what he is doing!

Absolutely, and I think overall that is the case. Still doesn't stop you shitting yourself during a game though.

In the same breath, I don't think it means every decision is right either. Being the type he is, I highly doubt Deano thinks all his decisions are right in hindsight sometimes either.

There is probably definitely an element of with success comes more expectation.

I mean during the MON era, fans from other clubs thought a large section of us were mental.for criticising MON. 

But truth is, we could have achieved even more with MON with slightly better decision making. Is that guaranteed expert opinion? Probably not.

I used to love Gabby probably more than anyone but I knew once he had time to think in front of a keeper the chance was gone. Doesn't mean I didn't rate him.

I'm a huge believer in Deano and our current trajectory/project. The sub thing is just a pet peeve, which as some rightly point out, is minor in comparison to what he is actually achieving.

He is a young manager with a young and improving squad, still learning together, and I'm sure he/we will improve in all these areas anyway.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Â