Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I remember beer before 8.30am, not for Villa unfortunately but for England football or rugby games when I knew groups and mates getting together at stupid o’clock.  Like you, I watched Villa in the early hours on my lonesome although I must have woken up some of my neighbours when I was shouting.

Ive got my kids bedrooms surrounding my "office" when we beat Liverpool 7-2 I had to watch in silence 😳

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

It's not just about energy, it's about cohesion too. Fresh legs are great but if they're not working with the rest of the team then it's not much better. 

I was thinking fresh legs myself but at the same time, I was also thinking how one cog could mess things up. It's not a lack of trust in those from the bench, just a situation can be dealt with many ways. 

I've seen it at many levels at many clubs where teams are hanging on, bring on fresh legs and concede anyways. 

There is no formula for it. To act like there is is silly.

So you are saying we can't have cohesion if we make subs? To me that is down to the coaching. Look at city or Liverpool. When they make subs they get better. 

• Thanks 1

I think there are pros and cons to both sides to be fair, there isn't one right answer.

We are all greatful for the win, regardless of what side you're on with this argument. 

Onwards and upwards anyway. As I said before it's a good and interesting debate.

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We made a pretty early sub against Leeds when 1 down and lost by 3. 

We made a sub against wolves and he scored a winning prem. 

I don't remember the subs crowd piping up after either of those games. 

Smith does what Smith do and it mostly works out. I can only speak for myself in that I was screaming out for subs in the match thread because I thought we started to look leggy and because I was shitting bricks. I tend to get emotional af during the games but calm down pretty quickly once the final whistle blows. I have complete faith in DS, he's earned it tenfold. I'm sure I'm not the only one using the match thread as therapy however XD. We won fair n square today and Deano got it right.

Still would have loved it for him to troll them and use all his subs after the 90th.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Absolutely, and I think overall that is the case. Still doesn't stop you shitting yourself during a game though.

In the same breath, I don't think it means every decision is right either. Being the type he is, I highly doubt Deano thinks all his decisions are right in hindsight sometimes either.

There is probably definitely an element of with success comes more expectation.

I mean during the MON era, fans from other clubs thought a large section of us were mental.for criticising MON. 

But truth is, we could have achieved even more with MON with slightly better decision making.

I used to love Gabby probably more than anyone but I knew once he had time to think in front of a keeper the chance was gone.

I'm a huge believer in Deano and our current trajectory/project. The sub thing is just a pet peeve, which as some rightly point out, is minor in comparison to what he is actually achieving.

Smith will make mistake. All managers do.  I also don’t agree with every decision he makes either. What winds me and probably other posters up is when fans think he has some major flaw in his management where he doesn’t know how to make subs and that it’s costing us games!

My best friend even called his management today pathetic. 

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Ive got my kids bedrooms surrounding my "office" when we beat Liverpool 7-2 I had to watch in silence 😳

Wow, you deserve a medal.  I would’ve cracked and been in real trouble. 

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

So you are saying we can't have cohesion if we make subs? To me that is down to the coaching. Look at city or Liverpool. When they make subs they get better. 

Kind of helps when you are able to bring on players better than most of the opposing team. 

My Sunday league manager loves to make half time subs. Unfortunately we’re still shit. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Smith does what Smith do and it mostly works out. I can only speak for myself in that I was screaming out for subs in the match thread because I thought we started to look leggy and because I was shitting bricks. I tend to get emotional af during the games but calm down pretty quickly once the final whistle blows. I have complete faith in DS, he's earned it tenfold. I'm sure I'm not the only one using the match thread as therapy however XD. We won fair n square today and Deano got it right.

Still would have loved it for him to troll them and use all his subs after the 90th.

Now this is something I don’t understand why he doesn’t do more of. You can break up the opposition’s rhythm by making some late subs. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kind of helps when you are able to bring on players better than most of the opposing team. 

My Sunday league manager loves to make half time subs. Unfortunately we’re still shit. 

Tbf I believe Moto puts a lot of stock in some names on our bench. I would agree there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Uhhh, no, I'm not saying that at all, otherwise, I'd never advocate for subs ever. I even stated myself that I was ready for changes tonight but that I also understand why they weren't made. I'll repeat it until I'm blue in the face but with some people, things are black or white when in reality, there are many shades of grey and so many outcomes possible had we made changes today. It's not just as simple as fresh legs means we'll be pushing Southampton back. It could also mean, fresh legs are running out of position and exposing more gaps because they're able to press more and are not working as a unit but more individually. I'm not saying it'd happen. I'm saying there's a chance of that in this game.

There's a reason why people are all over your comments and not others who also think some subs would have been ideal. 

2 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

For me the subs issue had nothing really to do with freshness or personnel. You could argue Trezeguet would've been fresher and brought more energy than Traore, but I'm not sure how much of an impact on the game that would have had. 

The real reason I was literally shouting at the TV asking for a substitute was for managing the clock and killing Southampton's momentum. It is a tactic which practically every single team at any level uses, and I just couldn't get my head around how Smith doesn't see the value in it. 

Making a sub takes away about a minute of gameplay (which is never really reflected in added time if you make 3 subs) but it also critically kills the opponents momentum. It is incredibly hard to maintain intensity and attacking pressure if the opposition is dragging their heels making a sub and disrupting the rhythm of the game. Wolves under Nuno are the absolute masters at doing this

There is absolutely no way that Smith doesn't know this, as he is obviously a student of the game. So my question would be, why doesn't he see the value in it? From what I know of him he seems a very analytical manager who thinks about all areas of the game. So I would imagine its less that he is oblivious to the value of a substitute, but more that he has an alternative theory about why it might be detrimental to team cohesion or shape or something like that 

I would love to know his thoughts too. 

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

Tbf I believe Moto puts a lot of stock in some names on our bench. I would agree there.

It depends on the opposition too. El Ghazi against Burnley definitely yes. Lowton still goes to sleep on the back post and still doesn't track runners. Against Southampton no. They press n press n press he'd struggle. 

Just 5 wins away from my pre season prediction of 15 wins. . Shall we raise it to 20? Actually New prediction. We will beat every team at least once this season.

We won the match, the players he left on the pitch were fighting to the very last minute. Even Traore, a player previously slated for perhaps not contributing enough defensively, was sprinting back to defend in the 92nd/93rd minute. That’s the mentality that Dean and his team have instilled, so we have to trust them with their decisions in game, as without this mentality we wouldn’t be doing anywhere near as good as we have been.

As others have mentioned, Dean isn’t somebody who thinks he knows it all, when we lose he holds his hands up and admits to faults, when we win he understands how we could do better - we must realise he is still adapting and learning this league just like our players!

in Deano we trust, UTV

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Smith will make mistake. All managers do.  I also don’t agree with every decision he makes either. What winds me and probably other posters up is when fans think he has some major flaw in his management where he doesn’t know how to make subs and that it’s costing us games!

My best friend even called his management today pathetic. 

Out of likes 👊🏽.

• Like 1

After the Leeds game Bielsa made an interesting comment. "The game reflected that our group has been together for longer so they understand their roles better. That's what you saw on the pitch today". 

As we grow I believe we'll get better and better. The squad will need more depth of quality. I believe Luiz will be better next season. Same with Jack, Watkins, Konsa etc etc etc. They've all got room to improve and they hopefully will.

• Like 1

Â