Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cahill wanted to stay in London, if we wanted him he would have joined since Terry is here

No I don’t think we did want him....,I suspect that he did not fit the profile Purslow is pursuing....our loss

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

No I don’t think we did want him....,I suspect that he did not fit the profile Purslow is pursuing....our loss

But we signed Heaton who is around the same age

Hand waving our run of 9 games without a win away. "I don't see it as 9 games, this is a new season so it's 5".

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

It's been probably my biggest concern too. Perhaps even when it came to appointing him (I didn't want him before he came here but when he's here he gets my support). I used to read about Ryan woods dominating midfields and sitting deep and picking a pass. It's not as easy to do in the premier league. It's a tough job. I would so much rather a jedinak type, but obviously not him. I thought it's what nakamba was going to be. 

I look at milovojevic (is that how you spell it?), The job fernandinho did, Keane's and Vieira's from when I was growing up. Obviously we were never going to have someone on a Vieira level, but that type. 

We all know our pitfalls upfront, but to me, this is our other biggest weakness and has made us easier to play through. Could Dean learn from this season and bring in a midfielder to do this job? I'd like to think he could. Even losing Grealish, Mings Luiz or whoever, I think if we get this recruitment right in midfield, we would have a goo enough squad to go up. 

I think if we lose all of those and possibly McGinn as well, we'd have to replace all three/four with players close to their ability, which is no easy task. 

We'd then have to recruit some better players around them. I fear that it'll be another lengthy stint in the championship sadly. 

38 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

think it was the wage demands 

although it would have been a good signing - I don't think it would have saved us - theres some pretty solid if unspectacular players in that defence - Mings, Heaton, Target - there enough there not to have the worst defence in the division 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weedman said:

No way, sacrificing the future for short term results is not the answer, nor is sacrificing the present for supposed long term gains, the answer is finding the right balance, we're too far into the planning for the future but forgetting about the present side right now, going too far the other way is just as, if not more costly in the medium to long term. 

We need an experienced core, ST, MC, DC, GK with "up and coming" players backing them up, we have half of that with Heaton and Mings, the lack of an experienced CM and ST has been costly as well as big injuries to our most experienced senior player in Heaton and Wesley who was just getting into his stride (and even before that has been clearly superior to Davis and Samatta) 

Going too Steve Bruce or Tony Pulis works in the short term but is unsustainable, we've gone too far the other way. You can see we tried to address it in Jan, bringing in an experienced GK, ST and MC, but with no real budget they've not really made much difference to us 

Simply plodding along losing game after game, will not equal progress, there is no evidence to support your claim.

I do not buy in to your view......I do not see this magical new approach as any sort of thing to protect or cherish.....its a busted flush.

like i say above, just get a manager who is results driven, has reasonable record at any level, of winning......and build on it.

winning managers get so many things right, behind the scenes....and players grow to believe in them.

52 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I agree with this....not that straightforward to recruit one though.

Shame Drinkwater didn’t work out - I think it nearly did but the guy had some demons and just couldn’t get back to the level of performance required ( .....if he wasn’t a gamble he wouldn’t have come to us!)

Cahill was someone we should have signed - I think we would be safe now if we had (who was at fault here? Smith? Suso? Purslow gets my vote for this one)

Its all a combination of faulters

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

You blame it all on Smith? 

You remember what he took over? Having to recall players Bruce had loaned out, negativity all over the place. But yeah, let's dismiss a club record winning streak because he didn't immediately turn around the mess Bruce left. 

I'm not dismissing it at all, it was impressive but at the same time that team should not have been that far away from a play off spot. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Then what is the point of doing the same circle each time

What I mean is that Ashley's short termism and lack of ambition - right now is looking better than our ambitious strategic long term planning .

40 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I'm not dismissing it at all, it was impressive but at the same time that team should not have been that far away from a play off spot. 

But we had no defence just poor Chester. Thats why we were off playoff spot. Vs Leeds we started 3 right backs including at Bree centre half

When Smith came in our defence options was Hutton, Bree, Elmo, Taylor, Chester and Axel

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But we had no defence just poor Chester. Thats why we were off playoff spot. Vs Leeds we started 3 right backs including at Bree centre half

When Smith came in our defence options was Hutton, Bree, Elmo, Taylor, Chester and Axel

We also had Nyland in goal. 

Smith had to fix a lot of issues when he took over. There seems to be this new criticism that it took him some time to get things back on track. I just think its reached a point where the same people are going to find any reason to have a go at him. 

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

The thing is they should believe. I for one think we have the best starting 11 of any of the teams in the bottom 6. We are where we are because our players our cowardly and are never motivated which is on Smith. 

Do your really think so ? I would love to believe that but i dont sadly

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I remember arguing with you over sherwood. I defended him more than most. 

But the guy was clearly shit and any suggestion of having him back is **** madness. 

There is a reason he has been gifted 2 short term jobs and never been seen again.

Stevo is the official leader of the anti-Sherwood posse.

But I agree, like I said earlier, that time has passed for Tim and us. We need new blood, not old failures rehashed.

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do your really think so ? I would love to believe that but i dont sadly

Although I don't believe it's as extreme as he was saying, I do believe our squad is more than capable or being higher up the table than we currently are.

Edited by TreeVillan
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Hutton and Jedinak couldn't find clubs because of their age.

And Jedinak lack of mobility? Come on he's never been quick. He's got over 100 PL games under his belt with Crystal Palace.

My main point is if we had kept most of the squad together we could focus our money on the main targets like Maupay and Benrahma instead of rushing and panicking buying 12 very average players who ultimately haven't improved us.

I think people are underestimating the value keeping the dressing room together. It's so, so important. You can't do that many changes at once. We were never gonna keep Axel and Tammy but rest we should have kept for another season.

So they couldnt get clubs because of their age but we should of kept them on ...how does that work ?

He got 100 games under his belt with Palace 3 /4 years ago - his legs where gone .Hutton its simple we had 3 rbs one had to go and he was out of contract.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Has Sherwood got another job since 2015.

I like the guy for making me enjoy Villa again but was limited

Limited, but also inexperienced and handcuffed by circumstances. Ok, sorry, enough of him. We got Smith to mock now.

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We also had Nyland in goal. 

Smith had to fix a lot of issues when he took over. There seems to be this new criticism that it took him some time to get things back on track. I just think its reached a point where the same people are going to find any reason to have a go at him. 

No ones saying it wasn't a achievement, it was. But that was the Championship, we were under performing Smith got us to click with the best team in the league and it worked out, proving Smith can do it in the Championship, with the best players.

But we are now in the Premier League,, a whole new kettle of fish for Smith, he is failing. yes I agree we came up to quick, to quick for Smith. He hasn't got the experience as yet, an it shows, my goodness it shows. We are going into a game tonight with no hope, that's what Smith has brought us in the premier League.

Â