Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

So if it all boils down to successful/unsuccessful, why are you zeroing in on that one period of difficulty when that season as a whole was a resounding success?

I am not zeroing in on it.....I am merely drawing attention to  the not so good run against the fab run.....we all know that 10 game run was instrumental in getting us over the line, but you can't base a season on 10 games, it was a one off and a praiseworthy one.

I am merely putting in to perspective, what we are......we did marvellous last season, in a period but we did not dominate like Norwich or wolves the previous season......Bruce's 11 games got him the sack and Dean had  12 game run of 2 wins, so the season as a whole was not a resounding success......The Promotion was a resounding success.....we need perspective on this team.

Getting promotion was great, but lets not get carried away with the perceived invincibility of the team that season , it didn't exist.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Graham t said:

Sorry, all the best players will leave if we are relegated, leaving us with yet another 'rebuilding job'. So back to square one with a wasted year in the Premiership. You couldn't make it up, only at Villa could supporters accept mediocrity as ' okay'

Regards,

VLD.

The big difference is even if we do get relegated we get parachute payments. If we didn't get promoted last year grealish is gone for 30 to 40 mil. If we get relegated this season he is between 80 and 100 mil. We will be in a so much better position when we go down this time. We will have a good quality right back, keeper, 3 centre backs, 3 or 4 cms, a good winger and 2 or 3 good strikers. And about 160 million to blow from the sales of grealish, mings and mcginn. Whilst this isn't the ideal outcome we can still stay up and even if we go down I would be backing us to head straight back up. We would just need to sign 2 or 3 quality players in the wings, full back and maybe central midfield and it should be quite easy. It isn't the end of the world we just need to spend smart and hopefully we can start playing some youth players especially if the 5 subs extend to the championship. 

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

The big difference is even if we do get relegated we get parachute payments. If we didn't get promoted last year grealish is gone for 30 to 40 mil. If we get relegated this season he is between 80 and 100 mil. We will be in a so much better position when we go down this time. We will have a good quality right back, keeper, 3 centre backs, 3 or 4 cms, a good winger and 2 or 3 good strikers. And about 160 million to blow from the sales of grealish, mings and mcginn. Whilst this isn't the ideal outcome we can still stay up and even if we go down I would be backing us to head straight back up. We would just need to sign 2 or 3 quality players in the wings, full back and maybe central midfield and it should be quite easy. It isn't the end of the world we just need to spend smart and hopefully we can start playing some youth players especially if the 5 subs extend to the championship. 

That's all will and good, but you forget the recruits will be suso signings... So you can forget quality players 😉

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

That's all will and good, but you forget the recruits will be suso signings... So you can forget quality players 😉

I mean seriously the players who suso signed are presumably Luiz, Trezeguet, Nakamba, samatta and Wesley. Aside from trez who has been a commercial success for the club if not a footballing one they are all pretty decent signings. The Smith signings will be targett, engels, Heaton, el ghazi, Konsa, Hause, mings, Jota, reina and Danny drinkwater.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, imavillan said:

I am disappointed with the owners and with the trust they have put in place with Purslow. 

I trust Purslow. More fool me perhaps.

He's cocked up getting Suso on board, we'll continue to waste millions if this bloke stays.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If we stay up from a last minute ricochet off Trezeguet's nuts on the last day against West Ham, that'd be good enough from Dean for me. The real litmus test would be the team he can build with base to start from, a year of PL experience under his and the team's belt and a relaxed FFP next season. 

The ideal scenario to chuck Suso in the sea and shake Smith by the hand and send him on his way with best wishes.

Here's a question I enjoyed reading in this article I'll post the link below:

In the bit below is basically from the person who wrote it talking about firepower between the bottom six clubs, makes some very good points in the article.

What Would you choose, I would say have a less quality forward and supply more chances over a quality forward and hardly any chances at all.

It's a rather philosophical question. Would you rather be in Villa's position with a strong forward, but find yourself lacking chances - or would you rather supply poorer forwards with plenty of opportunity?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-relegation-battle-crumb-18488450

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Here's a question I enjoyed reading in this article I'll post the link below:

In the bit below is basically from the person who wrote it talking about firepower between the bottom six clubs, makes some very good points in the article.

What Would you choose, I would say have a less quality forward and supply more chances over a quality forward and hardly any chances at all.

It's a rather philosophical question. Would you rather be in Villa's position with a strong forward, but find yourself lacking chances - or would you rather supply poorer forwards with plenty of opportunity?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-relegation-battle-crumb-18488450

Impossible question to answer without being able to exactly quantify the difference in quality of the forwards and the difference in the amount of chances. 

If the question was something like,

would you rather have forwards who scores 10% of their chances, but only get 5 chances per game.

Or forwards who score 5% of their chances but get 20 chances per game.

The answer is pretty clear.(Its the latter). If you don't exactly specify the numbers, its a dumb question to answer as everyone will have different ideas of what exactly is the gulf in quality between the hypothetical forwards and the hypothetical  amount of chances they get.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I mean seriously the players who suso signed are presumably Luiz, Trezeguet, Nakamba, samatta and Wesley. Aside from trez who has been a commercial success for the club if not a footballing one they are all pretty decent signings. The Smith signings will be targett, engels, Heaton, el ghazi, Konsa, Hause, mings, Jota, reina and Danny drinkwater.

decent signings? really? nakamba did ok when he came on vs newcastle and started his career with us alright but has been more miss than hit in the games he's played; wesley was anonymous apart from 2 games to the extent we were playing with 10 men for the first half of the season; samatta the jury's out but has barely touched the ball since he's been on the pitch since lockdown; and luiz has been absolutely garbage until we returned from lockdown...long may it continue of course but it's going to take more than 3 games to convince me he's a decent signing when for his first 20 odd games for us he was **** atrocious

and what evidence do you have that these are the the suso signings vs the smith signings? smith went over to watch trez and said as much in an interview. why is reina for example a smith signing but the others aren't?

irrespective of what happens this season i want suso gone. the so called suso signings you listed they cost a reported £65m...if they were sold this summer i'd be surprised if we got half of that back

8 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

before lock down smith apparently had the chelsea game to save his job, but apparently suso's position was being heavily scrutinised too. stay up or go down i dont expect suso to be signing any more players for us

We have very rich owners , time to prove their ambition and go for a top manager and dump smith , whatever division we are in we have the cash and with ffp restrictions eased a chance to spend well and build a decent team in the process , Rafa and bielsa have both managed in the championship , it can be done if a top manager sees the financial power and ambition of the owners . 

get rid of smith and recruit a top manager giving him big financial backing while we can and  good recruitment for once - Wes and Nas have stated their aims and ambitions ,  go out and prove it and let’s get this club moving in the right direction while the chance is there to spend . 

Edited by Eastie

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

We really wanted Pope but they wouldn't sell so we settled for Heaton as an alternative.  A very very good alternative mind you. 

20 hours ago, Graham t said:

Sorry, all the best players will leave if we are relegated, leaving us with yet another 'rebuilding job'. So back to square one with a wasted year in the Premiership. You couldn't make it up, only at Villa could supporters accept mediocrity as ' okay'

Regards,

VLD.

Agreed, but with much improved finances compared to where we were 12 months ago the rebuild will be easier. Sometimes rebuilds need to be done more than once to give a club the right foundation to grow sustainably.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

decent signings? really? nakamba did ok when he came on vs newcastle and started his career with us alright but has been more miss than hit in the games he's played; wesley was anonymous apart from 2 games to the extent we were playing with 10 men for the first half of the season; samatta the jury's out but has barely touched the ball since he's been on the pitch since lockdown; and luiz has been absolutely garbage until we returned from lockdown...long may it continue of course but it's going to take more than 3 games to convince me he's a decent signing when for his first 20 odd games for us he was **** atrocious

and what evidence do you have that these are the the suso signings vs the smith signings? smith went over to watch trez and said as much in an interview. why is reina for example a smith signing but the others aren't?

irrespective of what happens this season i want suso gone. the so called suso signings you listed they cost a reported £65m...if they were sold this summer i'd be surprised if we got half of that back

People suggesting that Smith signed all the players with PL experience who have been our worst players except for Heaton. And the rest Smith has either worked with before or had scouted previously like engels. And if Suso didn't sign trez then he signed Luiz, nakamba, Wesley and samatta so 4 players and obviously can't be blamed for our predicament. 

14 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Agreed, but with much improved finances compared to where we were 12 months ago the rebuild will be easier. Sometimes rebuilds need to be done more than once to give a club the right foundation to grow sustainably.

The key is getting the right players in - our recruitment has been very poor in recent years ,  shameful 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

People suggesting that Smith signed all the players with PL experience who have been our worst players except for Heaton. And the rest Smith has either worked with before or had scouted previously like engels. And if Suso didn't sign trez then he signed Luiz, nakamba, Wesley and samatta so 4 players and obviously can't be blamed for our predicament. 

my take from the interviews we've heard is that suso largely identifies the players but smith has the final say on all transfers. there are the obvious ones that smith has worked with previously (konsa, jota), scouted previously (engels), or were part of our squad last season (mings, ghaz) but the rest i took to be signed as a collective decision between smith, suso and purslow.

the point i was making is that i dont think it was as simple as 'suso signings' vs 'smith signings' and certainly not as black and white as all the players with prem experience were smith signings.

i give smith a little leeway in that if it was 100% up to him we would have signed benrahma instead of trez, philips instead of marvelous, and maupay instead of wesley. those 3 IMO are the worst of the summer signings.

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

my take from the interviews we've heard is that suso largely identifies the players but smith has the final say on all transfers. there are the obvious ones that smith has worked with previously (konsa, jota), scouted previously (engels), or were part of our squad last season (mings, ghaz) but the rest i took to be signed as a collective decision between smith, suso and purslow.

the point i was making is that i dont think it was as simple as 'suso signings' vs 'smith signings' and certainly not as black and white as all the players with prem experience were smith signings.

i give smith a little leeway in that if it was 100% up to him we would have signed benrahma instead of trez, philips instead of marvelous, and maupay instead of wesley. those 3 IMO are the worst of the summer signings.

Good points. 

I think Smith has his part in the whole thing but Smith won't be out there signing players. 

There is no way Smith would have said that starting the season with wesley, Davis and Kodjia was the best move. I think he's been really let down there. 

Likewise, I'm sure he identified a winger as a need, and we know he wanted Benrahma, yet we sign trezeguet. 

Now I'm not saying smith would have specifically said no to these players and was overruled. I'm sure he agreed to it. 

While he was given players for the positions he needed, he was given players who lack so much to succeed at this level. 

Edited by DCJonah

20 minutes ago, Eastie said:

People keep talking about playing two up front but it's very difficult to play two up front and keep Jack Grealish on the pitch," Smith explained.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-wolves-dean-smith-18492796

ffs 🤦🏻‍♂️

Im sure its easier than having Trez and Elghazi on the pitch , they are hardly an out ball if anything they put more pressure on us constantly running into trouble and setting up the opposing counter

Â