Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I have no issue with our player spend or investment. I dont blame Smith and actually give some credit to Smith for some of our new players.

I just blame him for not developing them or getting them to play effectively together.

He has had most of a season to show some improvement. But we have got worse.

I like Smith & staff, I like our players, I like our owners , CEO and DOF.

Its just pretty clear to me that Smith is not growing into the role of a Premier League manager. He is wilting like Lambert and others before him. We have all seen the pattern before. Start out swashbuckling and attacking when you take the job then over time  retreat to counter attacking, then full on shut up shop hoofball to hope to nick something.

If he survives till the next game then I hope he considers himself lucky and looks to improve himself. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

A lot better. Doucoure, Capoue, Hughes even Cleverley walk into our team and that just midfield. Foster quality keeper, Deeney, Deulefeu, Sarr

They are only in relegation battle as players wanted an English manager

Capoue hughes and cleverly do not get in our team for me. 

37 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I have no issue with our player spend or investment. I dont blame Smith and actually give some credit to Smith for some of our new players.

I just blame him for not developing them or getting them to play effectively together.

He has had most of a season to show some improvement. But we have got worse.

I like Smith & staff, I like our players, I like our owners , CEO and DOF.

Its just pretty clear to me that Smith is not growing into the role of a Premier League manager. He is wilting like Lambert and others before him. We have all seen the pattern before. Start out swashbuckling and attacking when you take the job then over time  retreat to counter attacking, then full on shut up shop hoofball to hope to nick something.

If he survives till the next game then I hope he considers himself lucky and looks to improve himself. 

His body language and demeanour reminds me of Brian  little Just before he departed - looks a broken man and nothing like the man who started the season . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eastie said:

His body language and demeanour reminds me of Brian  little Just before he departed - looks a broken man and nothing like the man who started the season . 

Great shout. Managers need a swagger. Its noticeable when they lose it. Or of they get it back...

Shout out to the steppers who got that ref :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

If we stay up from a last minute ricochet off Trezeguet's nuts on the last day against West Ham, that'd be good enough from Dean for me. The real litmus test would be the team he can build with base to start from, a year of PL experience under his and the team's belt and a relaxed FFP next season. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

See thing is, even if Deano keeps us up.

I'm now concerned about if next season would just be more of the same, with slightly better players.

For example, some peoples arguments are that all the players are crap. Say we get 3 - 4 very good players to replace those. What happens if one or two are injured? Or out of form? Or just having a bad day, or not suited to the opposition? Or a tactical tweak is needed to get the best our of them?

It now appears he is extremely stubborn, PLAN A or bust (These days i struggle to even know what Plan A is), most of the time he is brave it is due to being forced.

I'll say again, my biggest concern has become the total lack or proactivity and game management i've seen recently (As in for months).

He has literally morphed into a manager I don't recognise anymore from the one we thought we first got.

As many have said, and is obvious, the managers job is to use what he has got, to the best effect. I've now genuinely started feeling like he is actually costing us points, this obviously isn't discounting individual player errors either.

It is no surprise to me he had changed.....when you consistenly lose or fail to win, doubt creeps in and eventually it consumes you to a point, you become unrecognisable from the confident man who was winning.

The big  managers usually spot the decline much earlier, in terms of small details and avoid getting in to a decline, in first place,by fixing them.....I believe i can see where they went wrong in the summer, by not bringing in the players to play in key positions.....but, i am sure, they wouldn't agree with me....thats fine, but i think they got it wrong.

We have too many players much the same, not enough contrast and they don't do what it says on the tin...The wingers as an example, wouldn't frighten a div 1 team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If we stay up from a last minute ricochet off Trezeguet's nuts on the last day against West Ham, that'd be good enough from Dean for me. The real litmus test would be the team he can build with base to start from, a year of PL experience under his and the team's belt and a relaxed FFP next season. 

I too would be pleased with a scenario like that.

as for negating Deans performance this season,as a result, not so sure about that....been there with Lambert.

We have to be ruthless, like Wolves.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

In a parallel universe we didn’t win the playoffs and are now comfortably leading the  Championship. We didn’t need to sign so many players and the team has had time to grow. We are getting ready for the summer transfer market to add further depth and experience for the coming season. Smiths approval rating is through the roof. 

Pie in the Sky? Maybe but for me Smiths biggest error was doing such an amazing job last year. 

I thought 17th would be a great result this year. This is exactly what 17th place football feels like and it’s crap. 

I’m sticking with Smith and I think the owners will too. Support your team and your manager!!

Based on 17th you may have a point.....personally, i was expecting better.

as for last season. Great result in promotion fueled by a Remarkable run of a 10 game winning run.....but it would be a dereliction of duty of club CEO to ignore the 2 wins in 12 prior to the remarkable run... .what I am trying to highlight is the disparity and lack of consistency......we have got worse as the season has unfolded, that flies in the face of progression, its actually regression.....most players have not got individually or collectively better.....that on its own raises questions.

No I still think he has plenty to answer for.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Based on 17th you may have a point.....personally, i was expecting better.

as for last season. Great result in promotion fueled by a Remarkable run of a 10 game winning run.....but it would be a dereliction of duty of club CEO to ignore the 2 wins in 12 prior to the remarkable run... .what I am trying to highlight is the disparity and lack of consistency......we have got worse as the season has unfolded, that flies in the face of progression, its actually regression.....most players have not got individually or collectively better.....that on its own raises questions.

No I still think he has plenty to answer for.

We were missing our talisman and had no semblance of a defence for most of that 12 game run. Those runs didn't happen in a vacuum. Context matters and I'm sure our owners are aware of this. 

Just now, Keyblade said:

We were missing our talisman and had no semblance of a defence for most of that 12 game run. Those runs didn't happen in a vacuum. Context matters and I'm sure our owners are aware of this. 

We also had 2 goalkeeper injuries in that 12 game run to coincide with a mish mash defence. James Bree playing centre half for a few games

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Isn't that what he was apparently doing over the past couple of months?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

We also had 2 goalkeeper injuries in that 12 game run to coincide with a mish mash defence. James Bree playing centre half for a few games

We only lost like 3 of those games which just about barely kept us in the race. Also before that run, we were playing the best football we had since the MON days in just a short space of time after Smith joined.

Overall his first season was a major success. Completely transformed the way we played. The fact that we've struggled in the hardest league in the world with a brand new squad of inexperienced players shouldn't be surprising.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You could go through every manager, who has failed with us and they could muster a tale of mitigation.

If you now drill down on all the things that have conspired against the bottom six managers they too would be able to formulate a compelling list of mitigation, to suggest they have been unlucky.

there are no unsuccessful managers, they are all unlucky, or hard done by.

look, as hard as it is to take, successful managers, make it happen....unsuccesful ones don't.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TRO said:

You could go through every manager, who has failed with us and they could muster a tale of mitigation.

If you now drill down on all the things that have conspired against the bottom six managers they too would be able to formulate a compelling list of mitigation, to suggest they have been unlucky.

there are no unsuccessful managers, they are all unlucky.

look, as hard as it is to take, successful managers, make it happen....unsuccesful ones don't.

So if it all boils down to successful/unsuccessful, why are you zeroing in on that one period of difficulty when that season as a whole was a resounding success?

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We only lost like 3 of those games which just about barely kept us in the race. Also before that run, we were playing the best football we had since the MON days in just a short space of time after Smith joined.

Overall his first season was a major success. Completely transformed the way we played. The fact that we've struggled in the hardest league in the world with a brand new squad of inexperienced players shouldn't be surprising.

But we didn't play great football under O'Neill( my opinion of course)....it was winning football away from home, at home his record was more modest in terms of winning, but the spectacle was hardly expansive, very much smash & grab iirc.......we went in to a European game with a patched up team to avoid the first team from getting turned over....he had a few exceptional players that it all went through, that was his model....He was told to apologise to the fans in the Holte Suite and duly did.....then arrogantly told them he would never apologise to them, again, (sincerity or what)...The rot had set in and the rest is history.

Back to Dean.

Dean in short, has got us to attack when we wasn't, but lost our ability to defend when we was.....In the 2 seasons he has presided over us, goals  has conceded 61& 58 to date.....I am not sure that transformation was meant, but thats what we have......we have tackled the arduous league with a scenario where we have got progressivly worse in terms of results, when progression suggests we should have got better.

I guess we all have our opinions, and you clearly have yours.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â