Dean Smith

Demitri_C

This is from the press conference with Deano:

"We can see the team spirit that we have and also the quality.  Confidence has not wavered. When players are playing well, they know, and they are playing well at the moment."

Now I don't know what planet he is living on if he thinks we are playing well.  We were lacklustre in both matches I watched live - lacked quality and seemed bereft of confidence.  Too many players looking for a simple layoff rather than actually trying to do something more progressive.  We are not alone (all 4 of the teams in 19th - 16th seem determined to try and get relegated) and a win will do wonders (especially if the other teams don't pick up points as well) but we don't look like a team expecting to win.  He says we have been unlucky not to win 2 of the 3 matches since the return.  I just don't think we have created anything like enough chances to win any of the matches (although as the Newcastle game wasn't on TV I am willing to be corrected on that one).  They don't sound like the words of a manager who is thinking that a change of approach is required.

Hope we nick enough points to survive as I think several of the players will be better in a second season in the Premier League - but we are still far too negative.

16 hours ago, TRO said:

You could go through every manager, who has failed with us and they could muster a tale of mitigation.

If you now drill down on all the things that have conspired against the bottom six managers they too would be able to formulate a compelling list of mitigation, to suggest they have been unlucky.

there are no unsuccessful managers, they are all unlucky, or hard done by.

look, as hard as it is to take, successful managers, make it happen....unsuccesful ones don't.

I wish Villa fans would stop making excuses for poor managers. We aren't talking about junior league football here. The manager needs to be a dynamic personality with ideas to match. Smith has been a failure in the Premiership, please except this, just look at our position in the league if you cannot grasp this fact. And as for saying that you 'look forward to success in the championship ' , this is just the attitude that permanates through every fibre of a failing Premier team. If the fans lack ambition for the club then they will always settle for failure, I don't and won't....

Thanks 'TRO' for another honest and accurate assessment.

Regards,

VLD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I agree here chap! That's why we shouldn't really let him ride it out until he is hounded out by the fans and destroyed aka Lambert. What ever happens if not earlier, he should go whether we are relegated or not.

Yep, said before but if he stays and we don't start next season well in whichever division I could see him getting the Bruce treatment at a home game which I don't want especially once fans get let back in and want to voice their frustrations of last six months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

"We can see the team spirit that we have and also the quality.  Confidence has not wavered. When players are playing well, they know, and they are playing well at the moment."

Now I don't know what planet he is living on if he thinks we are playing well.  We were lacklustre in both matches I watched live - lacked quality and seemed bereft of confidence.  Too many players looking for a simple layoff rather than actually trying to do something more progressive.  We are not alone (all 4 of the teams in 19th - 16th seem determined to try and get relegated) and a win will do wonders (especially if the other teams don't pick up points as well) but we don't look like a team expecting to win.  He says we have been unlucky not to win 2 of the 3 matches since the return.  I just don't think we have created anything like enough chances to win any of the matches (although as the Newcastle game wasn't on TV I am willing to be corrected on that one).  They don't sound like the words of a manager who is thinking that a change of approach is required.

Hope we nick enough points to survive as I think several of the players will be better in a second season in the Premier League - but we are still far too negative.

I think we created enough decent chances to have won both the Sheffield united game and Newcastle game. 

Once again, individual errors and lack of quality infront of goal held us back. 

I'm not sure how you can be so angry with him based on those comments. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Graham t said:

I wish Villa fans would stop making excuses for poor managers. We aren't talking about junior league football here. The manager needs to be a dynamic personality with ideas to match. Smith has been a failure in the Premiership, please except this, just look at our position in the league if you cannot grasp this fact. And as for saying that you 'look forward to success in the championship ' , this is just the attitude that permanates through every fibre of a failing Premier team. If the fans lack ambition for the club then they will always settle for failure, I don't and won't....

Thanks 'TRO' for another honest and accurate assessment.

Regards,

VLD.

In the nicest possible way, that's just utter rubbish. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, allani said:

I watche the newcastle game on bt sport, we kept the ball but never looked like scoring from open play, we couldn’t unlock them and resorted to playing the ball back then lofting it into the box , our tempo is way to slow, and we lack pace and creativity 

Edited by gwi1890

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I watche the newcastle game on bt sport, we kept the ball but never looked like scoring from open play, we couldn’t unlock them and resorted to playing the ball back then lofting it into the box , our tempo is way to slow, and we lack pace and creativity 

Trezeguet and Samatta had great goal scoring opportunities within the first 20 minutes. Not sure how you dismiss them from open play chances.

We also had some great chances to score just before we got our equaliser. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Trezeguet and Samatta had great goal scoring opportunities within the first 20 minutes. Not sure how you dismiss them from open play chances.

We also had some great chances to score just before we got our equaliser. 

Then I stand corrected, if it wasn’t for a lapse in concentration yes we would have won

8 minutes ago, Graham t said:

To deny facts is stupid if you ask me.......In the nicest possible way ......of course.....

Regards,

VLD.

It's not fact. It's opinion. Your opinion. My opinion is different to yours.

• Like 1

Dean is frustrating, and has made mistakes that has cost us points, but our season isn't solely down to him. The players we have bought, and the general recruitment has been iffy. I know as a newly promoted club, it can be difficult to sign quality players, so you have to take risks. Problem with our signings was most were either too young and inexperienced, or just not good enough to begin with. Dean to his credit hasn't moaned about the players or the quality, and he has been willing to change up his tactics and set ups to try to accommodate these players' shortcomings. I mean look how many individual errors has cost us points. Even just half those errors gone, and we are 4 points clear of relegation. That is not on Dean entirely. 

All in all, I don't want Dean gone just yet. If we get relegated, there is really no better manager for the championship that would actually be willing to join us. Let Dean see out the season. He gave us hope last season when we thought there was none. He deserves a full go at the league imo, and if we go down and can't get a bigger name to manage us, let Dean have half a season. 

7 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Our position in the league is not an opinion.....it's a fact.....

Regards,

VLD.

Dean Smith being a failure in the premier league.

That's an opinion not a fact. 

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think we created enough decent chances to have won both the Sheffield united game and Newcastle game. 

Once again, individual errors and lack of quality infront of goal held us back. 

I'm not sure how you can be so angry with him based on those comments. 

Newcastle had the same number of chances as us - so they have just as much reason to claim that if they had taken their chances they should have won.  They have next to nothing to play for.  We need 2 or 3 wins and suddenly everything would look half decent.  We played OK against Sheffield Utd but apart from the save from Davis I don't remember too many "jump out your seat" chances.  I think we got exactly what we deserved in both (from watching the first and following the commentary on the second).  I just expect more urgency, more willingness to take a man on.  I appreciate that it is not easy with so many games after such a long lay-off but I just don't see how we have been robbed in any match so far.

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Newcastle had the same number of chances as us - so they have just as much reason to claim that if they had taken their chances they should have won.  They have next to nothing to play for.  We need 2 or 3 wins and suddenly everything would look half decent.  We played OK against Sheffield Utd but apart from the save from Davis I don't remember too many "jump out your seat" chances.  I think we got exactly what we deserved in both (from watching the first and following the commentary on the second).  I just expect more urgency, more willingness to take a man on.  I appreciate that it is not easy with so many games after such a long lay-off but I just don't see how we have been robbed in any match so far.

Yes, Newcastle also had chances. That's premier league football. We aren't going to have games where the opposition are going to do nothing. We aren't good enough and in no way should expect that. 

However I would question if Newcastle get back into a game if they are 2 down after 20 minutes. But we didn't take our chances and we gifted them a goal. 

Sheff United, again no shocking misses but davis had a couple of very good chances and probably should have reacted quicker and got a tap in from el ghazi. 

I don't feel smith has said anything that deserves anger.

Â