Dean Smith

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Dean Smith being a failure in the premier league.

That's an opinion not a fact. 

It is neither yet.  If we survive then he will have been a success (until next season).  If we get relegated then he will have failed.  That said I think we are down on the number of points that we should have because I don't think he has been proactive enough or shown enough initiative.  We've dropped too many points from being in the lead because we've dropped back and tried to hold on rather than keeping the other team under pressure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes, Newcastle also had chances. That's premier league football. We aren't going to have games where the opposition are going to do nothing. We aren't good enough and in no way should expect that. 

However I would question if Newcastle get back into a game if they are 2 down after 20 minutes. But we didn't take our chances and we gifted them a goal. 

Sheff United, again no shocking misses but davis had a couple of very good chances and probably should have reacted quicker and got a tap in from el ghazi. 

I don't feel smith has said anything that deserves anger.

Well Smith picked a striker who is not exactly well known for his goal record.  So it is then a bit rich to moan that we didn't take our chances...  My "anger" is more frustration than anything.  We've not done enough to win matches.  Bemoaning "bad luck" is what losers do.  You don't just keep doing the same thing all season hoping that eventually we might take our chances.  You need to do something different.  It is all just too predictable.  It was never going to be easy and if we win 2 matches then suddenly everything could look better (and I genuinely believe that several players will be much better next season if they get another season in the PL).  Maybe I just want him to be a bit more passionate and being more assertive about going out on the front foot - rather than "confidence is high and I can't fault the effort".  Hopefully we will beat Wolves 2-0 and we'll all feel a lot better!!! 🙂

14 minutes ago, allani said:

Well Smith picked a striker who is not exactly well known for his goal recordSo it is then a bit rich to moan that we didn't take our chances...  My "anger" is more frustration than anything.  We've not done enough to win matches.  Bemoaning "bad luck" is what losers do.  You don't just keep doing the same thing all season hoping that eventually we might take our chances.  You need to do something different.  It is all just too predictable.  It was never going to be easy and if we win 2 matches then suddenly everything could look better (and I genuinely believe that several players will be much better next season if they get another season in the PL).  Maybe I just want him to be a bit more passionate and being more assertive about going out on the front foot - rather than "confidence is high and I can't fault the effort".  Hopefully we will beat Wolves 2-0 and we'll all feel a lot better!!! 🙂

He has played both strikers and they've both missed good chances. I think using starting davis as a criticism is just wrong. Its not like he has an abundance of forward options. 

I think we were assertive against newcastle. Ultimately we aren't very good.

34 minutes ago, allani said:

It is neither yet.  If we survive then he will have been a success (until next season).  If we get relegated then he will have failed.  That said I think we are down on the number of points that we should have because I don't think he has been proactive enough or shown enough initiative.  We've dropped too many points from being in the lead because we've dropped back and tried to hold on rather than keeping the other team under pressure.

It's my opinion. You can't tell me what my opinion is and isn't. My opinion is that he hasn't failed to date. He's got us pretty much exactly where I saw us. Perhaps 1 point behind. My expectation was 17th. Don't care how we get there, just 17th. 

You cant tell me that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on whether he has failed or not, to date, that's crazy. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, allani said:

Well Smith picked a striker who is not exactly well known for his goal record.  So it is then a bit rich to moan that we didn't take our chances...  My "anger" is more frustration than anything.  We've not done enough to win matches.  Bemoaning "bad luck" is what losers do.  You don't just keep doing the same thing all season hoping that eventually we might take our chances.  You need to do something different.  It is all just too predictable.  It was never going to be easy and if we win 2 matches then suddenly everything could look better (and I genuinely believe that several players will be much better next season if they get another season in the PL).  Maybe I just want him to be a bit more passionate and being more assertive about going out on the front foot - rather than "confidence is high and I can't fault the effort".  Hopefully we will beat Wolves 2-0 and we'll all feel a lot better!!! 🙂

Crazy, crazy criticism of smith. He picked both strikers, the main striker he signed got injured for a long time. Despite what we think of Wesley, we have no idea how good his goalscoring record would be right now. 

Or, should he have started the goalscoring weapon Borja Baston?  😂😂😂😂😂😂

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He has played both strikers and they've both missed good chances. I think using starting davis as a criticism is just wrong. Its not like he has an abundance of forward options. 

I think we were assertive against newcastle. Ultimately we aren't very good.

You keep saying the team isn't very good, an we know. But it's not a team that should be fighting relegation. You should at least accept the fact, Smith is not getting the best out of them. The Attitude most of the team have, does not show we are actually fighting to stay in the Prem. It's slow, it's laboured there is no aggression, this is something by now the manager should have installed into the team, It's not going to get any better under Smith, an that's his biggest downfall, that's why he has had his time here. Why does he not even change who's captain, with respect to Grealish, he is far from captain material, iv'e never even seen him shout at the players.

Smith:

"We can see the team spirit that we have and also the quality.  Confidence has not wavered. When players are playing well, they know, and they are playing well at the moment".

I can't see the team spirit or confidence, playing well???  This is when a manager is under pressure, trying to justify his position.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You keep saying the team isn't very good, an we know. But it's not a team that should be fighting relegation. You should at least accept the fact, Smith is not getting the best out of them. The Attitude most of the team have, does not show we are actually fighting to stay in the Prem. It's slow, it's laboured there is no aggression, this is something by now the manager should have installed into the team, It's not going to get any better under Smith, an that's his biggest downfall, that's why he has had his time here. Why does he not even change who's captain, with respect to Grealish, he is far from captain material, iv'e never even seen him shout at the players.

Smith:

"We can see the team spirit that we have and also the quality.  Confidence has not wavered. When players are playing well, they know, and they are playing well at the moment".

I can't see the team spirit or confidence, playing well???  This is when a manager is under pressure, trying to justify his position.

Isn't it?? What about this side/players is it that makes you think that?

I had us fighting relegation all season. Hopefully just surviving. Many players new to league, young, lots of long-term injuries to boot. I don't see how we could expect anymore than what we are getting.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Smith:

What?

Of course it is. Again, its the unrealistic expectations of some of our fans thats a real issue. 

How on earth can you claim that? We started the season, with wesley, davis and kodjia as the guys going to score us goals. That's never been anything but relegation fight standard. 

9 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Isn't it?? What about this side/players is it that makes you think that?

I had us fighting relegation all season. Hopefully just surviving. Many players new to league, young, lots of long-term injuries to boot. I don't see how we could expect anymore than what we are getting.

Exactly. 

We finished 5th in the championship and then rebuilt the entire squad with no Premier league experience. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Dean is frustrating, and has made mistakes that has cost us points, but our season isn't solely down to him. The players we have bought, and the general recruitment has been iffy. I know as a newly promoted club, it can be difficult to sign quality players, so you have to take risks. Problem with our signings was most were either too young and inexperienced, or just not good enough to begin with. Dean to his credit hasn't moaned about the players or the quality, and he has been willing to change up his tactics and set ups to try to accommodate these players' shortcomings. I mean look how many individual errors has cost us points. Even just half those errors gone, and we are 4 points clear of relegation. That is not on Dean entirely. 

All in all, I don't want Dean gone just yet. If we get relegated, there is really no better manager for the championship that would actually be willing to join us. Let Dean see out the season. He gave us hope last season when we thought there was none. He deserves a full go at the league imo, and if we go down and can't get a bigger name to manage us, let Dean have half a season. 

The main problem was the quantity of players we had to sign which inevitably spread the quality a bit thin. If we came up with a strong, settled squad, a la Wolves or even Sheffield United and Norwich, our 120m would have done a lot more for us than what it did.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Looking more like he was actually holding Brentford back.

Brentford not in the Premier League Brentford?

Had his best player(s) sold every season he was there and didn't have ready made replacements. Key part of building the foundations allowing them to go for it this summer and bring some players in as well as hold onto most of their main men.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

What?

Of course it is. Again, its the unrealistic expectations of some of our fans thats a real issue.  

Rubbish.

Is it unrealistic to want us to get something out of Bournemouth x 2, Watford and Southampton? Just 5 points out of those 4 games would have seen us sitting pretty right now. Is that an unreasonable expectation? 

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Looking more like he was actually holding Brentford back.

Yep brentford fans seem far happier with thomas frank - maybe if he’d come with the backroom staff things might be better - smith is like a rabbit caught in the headlights - looks a broken man 

Edited by Eastie

1 minute ago, jim said:

Rubbish.

Is it unrealistic to want us to get something out of Bournemouth x 2, Watford and Southampton? Just 5 points out of those 4 games would have seen us sitting pretty right now. Is that an unreasonable expectation? 

Don’t take the bait mate , many of us have found it’s pointless . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Brentford not in the Premier League Brentford?

Had his best player(s) sold every season he was there and didn't have ready made replacements. Key part of building the foundations allowing them to go for it this summer and bring some players in as well as hold onto most of their main men.

Sold their best player this summer and no longer shipping goals for fun.

• Like 1

Brentford spent £30m in the summer, more than any other championship club, and a lot more than Smith was ever allowed to spend as their manager. When Smith left them they were seventh, one point off the play-offs.

Smith might not be the manager to take us forward, but I don't think Brentford currently doing well is any evidence of that. We just have to judge him on how he does with us.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Brentford spent £30m in the summer, more than any other championship club, and a lot more than Smith was ever allowed to spend as their manager. When Smith left them they were seventh, one point off the play-offs.

Smith might not be the manager to take us forward, but I don't think Brentford currently doing well is any evidence of that. We just have to judge him on how he does with us.

We are , that’s why many want him out the door .

• Like 2

Â