Dean Smith

Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

The 146 million, is a very significant piece of criteria, its dumb to say different....it could ( hopefully not) turn out to be a missed opportunity, that sets us back.

despite the challenge we had of replacing so many players, it could have been spent much better.imo.

I would imagine many clubs managers in the lower quartile of the league, would have been ecstatic at receiving such a sum, despite the watering down of its value, in some quarters.....i think some was expecting c300 million, judging by their comments of value per player.

its good to have a platform like this to debate......perhaps the regretable language has lost your point.

It was good to have that debate  in January, when we'd already debated it since the close of the summer transfer window.  Now, the 146 figure is pointless because it's already been dealt with as a pointless figure. 

I don't give a shit about the language, when the same old shit gets repeates, whilst adding nothing to any point.

25 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It was good to have that debate  in January, when we'd already debated it since the close of the summer transfer window.  Now, the 146 figure is pointless because it's already been dealt with as a pointless figure. 

I don't give a shit about the language, when the same old shit gets repeates, whilst adding nothing to any point.

No, i think you will find the opinion of the money been questionably spent is a growing one, hence the continuation of the point....time has shown it to be even more questioned as time has shown the debate to be more credible......at the close of the window, we had no idea, what we had bought, so that is what was pretty pointless.

its not a pointless figure or anything remotely like it.on the contrary, its a significant figure.

maybe your last line says it all, maybe its just not a good debate for you.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think Wilders bubble will burst, i think its wishful thinking by folk who are frustrated, by the sheer simplicity of his approach......they said the same about us during our halcyon days, they all laughed at work rate then and Ron's Mantra.

Wilder's bubble won't burst I agree. He's too good.

The reason is absolutely his adaptability, not the hard work, they work no harder than us. He's drilled his team with a system no one has ever seen and he switches it mid-game if needs be. He's got different players for different matches and opponents, different tactics from set-pieces, different bloody routines and plans from his own goal kicks depending on the opponent.

Hard work will only get you so far and it isn't enough in modern football.

Edited by Tomaszk

4 hours ago, TRO said:

No, i think you will find the opinion of the money been questionably spent is a growing one, hence the continuation of the point....time has shown it to be even more questioned as time has shown the debate to be more credible......at the close of the window, we had no idea, what we had bought, so that is what was pretty pointless.

its not a pointless figure or anything remotely like it.on the contrary, its a significant figure.

maybe your last line says it all, maybe its just not a good debate for you.

I have no dog in this fight TRO but I think the point being made by your counterpart in this debate is that it’s not a good debate for anyone, in that it’s the same two arguments...

”We wasted a ton of money.”

”We did our best to replace an entire squad at a low average cost.”

...repeat for 100000 pages, on a thread about a manager who we know only has 1/3 of the voice on transfers.

Now if the debate shifted to if we should have a different model, or how we could fix it, etc, that might be more interesting.

Not meaning to tell anyone what they can or can’t discuss, just saying why I think some people are out of patience with it but might still want to discuss aspects of the coach’s role or performance on here.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, romavillan said:

His point has been made, remade and made again. Seems that it's not sinking in though, we brought in 15 players for that. 15.

Fifteen. 

A good player at prem level would cost between 25 and 50 million. We spent on average less than 10 million per player. 

We couldn't have spent a lot more, and we couldn't have started the season with a full squad in terms of simply numbers without getting in at least 15 players. Not really seeing how much choice we had to be honest.

Sheffield United signed more players, for less than half the money. This was a squad that's foundations were built in League 1.

The idea that £140m isn't enough, or that we had a mostly Championship squad, just doesn't wash with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Sheffield United signed more players, for less than half the money. This was a squad that's foundations were built in League 1.

The idea that £140m isn't enough, or that we had a mostly Championship squad, just doesn't wash with me.

Their foundations were built. 
Ours weren’t. 
We needed to buy a whole new team.
They didn’t.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Their foundations were built. 
Ours weren’t. 
We needed to buy a whole new team.
They didn’t.

I very much doubt they’ll do as well as they have next season. They have great team spirit and courage. They have also bought sensibly

• Like 1

Re Wilder and Sheffield United occasionally you get anomalies teams that come up and exceed all expectations, the proof of the pudding will be the following 2 seasons.

Re Smith, can someone point out who we should have bought in each position, while still providing enough depth in the squad.

• Like 1

Continuity and knowing your role inside out in football is massively underrated.  They have that.

Knowing runs your colleagues are gonna make is invaluable.  Playing a rigid/defensive tactical game is easier than being fluid and trying to play attacking football.

Trying to do that with a bunch of new players is even more difficult.

Which do you prefer? 

Like Bournemouth after 4/5 seasons in the prem, they're losing their core players that came up over time, and haven't replaced well, that'll be sheff utd in 3 years, if they don't buy well.

But their style limits them ultimately.

Last time we debated the quality of our recruitment, any discussion was shut down because certain posters didn't like that their views were being challenged.

Are we really going down that avenue again? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Continuity and knowing your role inside out in football is massively underrated.  They have that.

Knowing runs your colleagues are gonna make is invaluable.  Playing a rigid/defensive tactical game is easier than being fluid and trying to play attacking football.

Trying to do that with a bunch of new players is even more difficult.

Which do you prefer? 

Like Bournemouth after 4/5 seasons in the prem, they're losing their core players that came up over time, and haven't replaced well, that'll be sheff utd in 3 years, if they don't buy well.

But their style limits them ultimately.

Winning football. 

If its much harder to play an attacking style, with lots of new players, then maybe we shouldn't be doing that? 

It's a results business. I'd much rather take a few years of defensive football to stabalise, and try and build from there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Winning football. 

If its much harder to play an attacking style, with lots of new players, then maybe we shouldn't be doing that? 

It's a results business. I'd much rather take a few years of defensive football to stabalise, and try and build from there. 

Then Dean Smith isn't your manager.  He's not going to do that, has never done that and is very unlikely to begin now, apart from putting 5 at the back this season. 

You either choose a way you want to play, build that up over time (a few seasons), or you keep chopping and changing manager styles, like we have done over the last 10 years and this is where we end up.  A lucky promotion doesn't change that. 

I don't give a shit if we go down to be honest (the championship is better), as long as we try and win.  I saw McLeish etc trying to keep us in a league and it's boring as hell. 

We'll be better over time if we stick with one way of playing, because players you buy will slot in to a system that's already pre-determined.  I don't even like that we've gone 4-3-3 to 5-3-2.  I wish we'd have just stuck with 4 at the back and dealt with the losses we've had anyway, because at least the team know what their jobs are.  Loads of our mistakes come from player errors, some of which are likely because they're out of position, don't know what to do in certain situations or technical errors, like Engles vs Spuds. 

• Thanks 1

But we'll be chopping and changing players, rather than coaches, which is arguably more disruptive - and certainly more expensive. 

If we go down, we'll be on essentially our 4the squad in 4 seasons. 

I want PL football, I want a good coach. A prerequisite of playing attacking football isn't that you can't defend. Plenty of clubs play decent football without leaking goals and being so open all the time. That's just bad coaching IMO. 

Â