Dean Smith

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

He'd been injured nearly a whole season then came back and was given chances but was awful. He needed loaning out! 

I think awful is a bit harsh

He hasn't played proper football in a while. He would need time. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can't make Saturday's game but I just ordered tickets for QPR for my firat game under Smith 

Tickets are flying out, Only around 5k left for the next home game against Bolton 

Reck they will open up the upper trinity next week. 

Edited by Kingman

12 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Tickets are flying out, Only around 5k left for the next home game against Bolton 

Reck they will open up the upper trinity next week. 

Then after Bolton the nezt homw game will be against the blosers. No doubt that will sell out 

28 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

To be fair to Bruce, didn't he deliver the best win percentage in living memory and beyond? And he still wasn't good enough.

With Smith, we might not hit that level of win percentage, but we expect him to be good enough.

Yes, in the division below what everyone else had been playing in.

With a team that should have been nowhere lower than 6th at any point.

If Smith doesn't match that, I still bet it's more watchable than Bruce's filth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Then after Bolton the nezt homw game will be against the blosers. No doubt that will sell out 

Yeah followed by Forest, Leeds, Stoke and QPR on NYD! 

All around the 40k mark me thinks,

Keep this up and i reckon the half season ticket sales will also be at record highs. 

4 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

To be fair to Bruce, didn't he deliver the best win percentage in living memory and beyond? And he still wasn't good enough.

With Smith, we might not hit that level of win percentage, but we expect him to be good enough.

Wow. People are still chucking out that old line.

No promotion means win percentage was not good enough. Regardless of how good it looks versus historical win percentages. 

Let a see how good a win percentage Smith can get with the resources at his disposal. Clearly if he doesn't get us promoted in the next two years then his win percentage will not have been good enough either.

Or maybe, just maybe there is more to it than that? Maybe things like building an identity, showing progress, showing foundations for the future, looking like we will come good will also be factors to consider. It's just that under certain previous managers, none of these things existed so win percentage was the only thing to cling on to.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You could say he needs a loan to another team where he'll get plenty of football...

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep.  Even davis he dropped him towards end of season and he didn't get a look in. I expect smith will be totally different.

He would rather give a 34 year old dm a go than a youngster that sums him up.

because he was shit at the time and the older players are better than our kids..

It really is not harsh.

His last appearance for us was almost a joke, he could barely control the ball without tripping over himself, literally.

I get that SB did not use 'the kids' but which kids should he have used as I've seen barely anything from any of them to suggest they should be in the first team, every year we hear (often via SGC) about the wonderful talents we have and yet, none of them ever make it. We have one academy product (Grealish) in the first team squad right now, for me that's an indictment of what we're producing, not the Manager (whoever the Manager may be).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It really is not harsh.

His last appearance for us was almost a joke, he could barely control the ball without tripping over himself, literally.

I get that SB did not use 'the kids' but which kids should he have used as I've seen barely anything from any of them to suggest they should be in the first team, every year we hear (often via SGC) about the wonderful talents we have and yet, none of them ever make it. We have one academy product (Grealish) in the first team squad right now, for me that's an indictment of what we're producing, not the Manager (whoever the Manager may be).

Although there's quite a few of our academy products performing at our level or better around the country though. So possibly not an indictment of what we're producing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes because jedinak has been so great at cb?

He is no worse than Chester, If anything he makes more tackles, more interceptions & clearances per game. That's without taking into account that he wins everything in the air.

"the kids" are massively overrated by many on here who see/hear a name and get carried away often without even seeing them play. As proven by many when they do actually make the squad they are simply not good enough even for the bench except in case of dire emergency like Davis last year where he came in, did well for a month or so with no other real options available but then just faded away.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2018 at 15:26, briny_ear said:

I suspect you are conveniently forgetting what a mess we were in when he took over.

But, like I’ve said before, you have given the benchmark by which to judge Dean Smith. No way will he achieve less than the “failure” of a playoff final.

We can track progress as the season progresses.

If we are making a 'fair' comparison between Bruce and Smith, then the playoff final would be in year 2.

This year he needs to do better than 13th

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Very difficult to make the comparison between a win percentage in the championship, where we have by far the biggest budget, best facilities, and highest money spent over 2 years, to a win percentage in the prem where we were no where near as big a fish and had nextto no spending power.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

If we are making a 'fair' comparison between Bruce and Smith, then the playoff final would be in year 2.

This year he needs to do better than 13th

I half agree.

I think he's come into a much more favourable situation than Bruce did. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I half agree.

I think he's come into a much more favourable situation than Bruce did. 

Agreed. A lot on here will dismiss this but I think Bruce came in at the lowest point I have seen Villa (some have longer memories of the old 3rd Division I know!). Smith comes in at a really positive time, other than missing a centre back. However that’s not worth debating too much - some will give Bruce credit and some won’t - the main thing is I think Smith can take us on and improve us further, and hopefully the next manager can do the same when we are back in the PL etc.

• Like 1

Â