Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Was playing around with a formation thingy.

Bar defense (The obvious).

We really do have an embarrassment of riches.

I have a hard time choosing who I would want to fit the midfield spots.

lineup (1).png

lineup (2).png

EDIT: So much so I totally forgot we had Whelan!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I half agree.

I think he's come into a much more favourable situation than Bruce did. 

Yeah whilst not 100% serious, the quotes were to emphasize that the respective situations are too dissimilar to really draw any fair comparison.

Though i would alsoargue Bruce inherited a more balanced (thoughstill unbalanced) squad, due to our poor defensive position

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Yet for me they all a bit naff except Cahill. 

For the most part, i reckon theyd get into our starting 11 comfortably.

Lets also not forget the likes of johnson and robinson at pne and burke who is now in the ireland setup regularly.

As a club we dont make enough of promising youth in the first team, and i look forward to that changing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To be fair he was not going to get much of a look in with Mellberg & Laursen etc, and MO'N couldn't guarantee him 1st team football and so off to Bolton he went as he didn't want to just sit on the bench with us.

I am sure Mellberg was in his last 6 months of his contract at Villa when Cahill was sold

6 hours ago, romavillan said:

He's hardly played with another CB all season, apart from teh one at RB, and lots of RB's.

So Chester who is a centre back by trade can be forgiven for having a very poor season because he is yet to play along side another centre back. But Jedinak who is not a centre back can not be forgiven for playing poorly as a centre back. 

I’m confused. 

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. There are some definite squad deficiencies, but everything about the club is better than when Bruce arrived. Better owners, better off pitch setup (i hope!), better finances, better squad in general and we're not in a downward spiral.

It's still not ideal. Bruce undid a lot of good work in the past few months. But in general I think we're much better placed for Smith to move us forward.

At least Bruce had more than one centre half to choose from. He was also given over 20 million to spend in his first window. 

Hope Smith gets the same. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So Chester who is a centre back by trade can be forgiven for having a very poor season because he is yet to play along side another centre back. But Jedinak who is not a centre back can not be forgiven for playing poorly as a centre back. 

I’m confused. 

Last season (when he was partnered with John Terry) Chester was far and away our player of the season. Played every minute of every game, never put a foot wrong. This season, he's been playing alongside a succession of inadequate partners, effectively on his own, with a very shaky goalkeeper behind him. 

There is literally no comparison with Jedinak. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Last season (when he was partnered with John Terry) Chester was far and away our player of the season. Played every minute of every game, never put a foot wrong. This season, he's been playing alongside a succession of inadequate partners, effectively on his own, with a very shaky goalkeeper behind him. 

There is literally no comparison with Jedinak. 

So does that mean if Jedinak played at the back alongside Terry he could be a top defender ? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So does that mean if Jedinak played at the back alongside Terry he could be a top defender ? 

Mate you are moving around goalposts to suit your argument.

Chester is a CB.

Jedi is not, shouldn't even be there, Not sure how the two are even being compared in the scenario you two are having the exchange about.

It is widely known that Centre Backs perform better in a settled partnership/backline.

It doesn't have to excuse his form necessarily.

It is just a factor to play in why he might be having a poor season, after having proved on multiple occasions that he is a very capable Centre Back.

Do you want Jedinak back at CB bar an emergency?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m confused. 

Yep, Maybe Jedi looks a bit ropey at CB sometimes because he's covering for Chester being shit ;)

• Haha 1

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-dean-smith-said-micah-15291716?fbclid=IwAR2MkzoT_ATz8wHm02gSo8cUpbV4do-W20QLhzuvyZuvWD-jhH2ApyuyNX0

Dean Smith delivers his verdict on Aston Villa outcast Micah Richards

The former AVFC captain hasn't played a competitive game for two years

Dean Smith will monitor the fitness of Micah Richards in the coming months but admits he’s still some way off the pace at this stage.

The 30-year-old hasn’t played a competitive game for over two years and will not be considered by Smith in the near future.

Richards has serious problems with his knee which is why former boss Steve Bruce chose not to select him.

And after watching the former Manchester City and England ace train this week. Smith agrees that he’s also not at the level required to feature in the Championship.

“Micah has trained with us but he’s not played for a long time so his fitness is not near to be in contention at all at the moment.

“We’ll see how his fitness builds over the next month or two.”

Asked whether he will be put on a special programme, Smith said:

“He’s been on a special programme.

“The training minutes he hasn’t had so far.

“We’ll see how his body adapts to those training minutes as we go.”

Villa are short on defensive cover but are still considering free-agent James Collins.

The Welshman has trained with the club for the past few days and the decision to hand him a permanent contract will be decided by Smith.

A new style

Dean Smith has revealed how he wants to transform Aston Villa into an exciting, attack-minded outfit.

The new boss stuck to his footballing principles at former clubs Brentford and Walsall - and plans to do the same at Villa Park.

Smith knows that results about more important as Villa currently sit 15th in the Championship after failing to see off nine of the 12 teams they’ve faced this year.

But a long-term plan and identity is still essential, the manager believes.

“I’ve been a supporter and you want to be entertained and watching players who will work hard for the shirt,” he said.

“That’s what we want to bring to the football club.

“We want to develop an Aston Villa way, lots of clubs have philosophies that change from manager to manager and I feel that this is an opportunity now to develop an Aston Villa way, with the staff we’ve brought in, starting with myself, Jesus Pitarch, Christian Purslow and the backroom staff Richard and John.

“It’s important for any club to hve a philosophy and recruit head coaches and players for that system.

“It certainly won’t happen overnight, but very quickly we can give players ideas and how we want to do moving forward.

“That said, I wouldn’t expect to have a honeymoon period.”

Smith’s adventure gets underway on Saturday as Villa entertain Swansea City.

Then it’s back-to-back away games in quick succession at Norwich and QPR, so there’s a chance to quickly get up-and-running.

Time is not on Villa’s side as they need to start winning games and closing the gap on the top two, but Smith believes the ‘realistic’ aim of promotion still remains.

“I’ve had to be a builder (at Brentford and Walsall) because with no disrespect to my other clubs they haven’t had the budget of an Aston Villa,” he added.

“We’ve got some wonderful players here.

“In the past I’ve had to nurture players with potential into good footballers.

“I want players here who have a higher calibre but I also want them to be better.”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate you are moving around goalposts to suit your argument.

Chester is a CB.

Jedi is not, shouldn't even be there, Not sure how the two are even being compared in the scenario you two are having the exchange about.

It is widely known that Centre Backs perform better in a settled partnership/backline.

It doesn't have to excuse his form necessarily.

It is just a factor to play in why he might be having a poor season, after having proved on multiple occasions that he is a very capable Centre Back.

Do you want Jedinak back at CB bar an emergency?

My only argument was Chester has been shit and not having a settled partner shouldn’t be an excuse for his poor form just because he was so good last season.  He should be doing a lot better.

As for Jedinak, I don’t want to see him at centre half. I just don’t think he has been as bad as some people make out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We’ve got some wonderful players here.

“In the past I’ve had to nurture players with potential into good footballers.

“I want players here who have a higher calibre but I also want them to be better.”

In time we should see a lot of our players showing how good they are. Either that or we’ll find out they are not as good as we all thought they were.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My only argument was Chester has been shit and not having a settled partner shouldn’t be an excuse for his poor form just because he was so good last season.  He should be doing a lot better.

As for Jedinak, I don’t want to see him at centre half. I just don’t think he has been as bad as some people make out.

Chester hasn't been good but it's true that he hasn't been part of not just a settled centre-back partnership, but a complete back 5 partnership. We have changed goalkeepers, right backs, centre-backs and left backs this season.

The other reason he has been so poor is due to Bruce setting a team up not to lose each week, he set us up to defend when our defence is the weakest aspect of our team.

If Smith can get us playing attacking, possesion based football through the middle; it immediately takes the pressure off the back line and you'll see Chester start to put in some top performances alongside Tuanzebe. A player doesn't go from being one of our best players for two seasons straight into being poor without reasons for it.

• Like 2

Â