Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Seen a few picture's of today's training. Great to see cal o'hare involved. Question, they had these white and orange plastic things placed strategically all over the training ground. What's all that about. Never seen that before at bodymor heath. Wanna cut that nonsense out and start putting their boots on and rolling their sleeves up.

I’d say those orange plastic things you refer to were “trick or treat” sweet collectors left behind by Bruce!  He loved Halloween and sweets I believe.  Smith simply sent the players out to collect them up.   Nothing to see here. 

• Haha 1

So now that the dust has settled a little bit, we can focus on what really matters to us as fans. What are we going to do about his hair? He has a league 2 haircut and we're a club with premier league ambitions. 

Have we got funds to bring in the Fab 5?

• Like 2

Just watched his interview with OS. He comes across as humble and not overawed by it all. Although I think when he walks out on Saturday to a full house he will get goosebumps for a while and then he'll settle down. Shame I can't make it. Also watched JT & ROK interview, you can tell who has had more media training. I think they're gonna fit with each other really well and it will be to our benefit.

I’m really excited about what Dean and ROK can bring to the team. If I’m really honest, I’m not that worried about promotion this season as I feel reassured that for once we seem to actually have a plan, and seem to be getting the right people in place from top to bottom. 

I have a feeling that a lot of under-utilised players like Lansbury, and Bree are going to flourish under DS, as well as boys like Hepburn-Murphy and O’Hare, which gives us some real options.

There is the obvious history with Scott Hogan too, if he can get him firing then a trio of Abraham, Kodjia and Hogan all firing is the strongest in the division for me.

People talk of our defensive woes, but for me a back 4 of Hutton, Chester, Tuanzebe and Taylor should be enough to get us through to January where we can reassess our options, I hope we don’t continue trying to put square pegs into round holes playing players out of position, especially at the back. The defence doesn’t overly concern me, especially if we start approaching more games on the front foot under Smith, which I’m assuming it is hoped he would bring.

I think given time Nyland will be a capable GK, he’s still settling in to life in England, and has come in at a difficult time.

I just have a really positive feeling about everything that we’ve done in the last couple of months, the last month especially! Finally, things are looking up!!

• Like 1

On 14/10/2018 at 14:30, villarocker said:

I wonder which of our players will get to play that Ryan Woods role just in front of the back four. He is about 5 foot nothing but absolutely ran the show whenever he played against us, for Brentford. Just showed you didn't need a big player in that role so I'm guessing one of McGinn or Grealish might play there? Although, playing them there nullifies their attacking threat so maybe Thor or Hourihane instead? Gotta be someone comfortable on the ball and who can pass. Surely that rules out Jedinak and Whelan? 

On Whelan's debut he made the mandatory Pirlo type spray across and upfield pinpoint passes and then went down hill re:passing ability since then which seems to be the norm with our players, I remember a similar debut from Lansbury.

Who knows, maybe they still have it in the locker somewhere?

EDIT: Pretty sure I made this post a few days ago, but for some reason it is stock in the editor on my mobile and the only way to lose it is to repost. ?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I can’t help but feel positive about the new set up and Smith. Maybe I’m a sucker for the romance of it all haha. Dean Smith comes across very well and a very proud man. So he should be! He knows what this means. I hope he’s given a fair crack at this!

I can see the team struggling a little in the next few weeeks or months while trying to adopt a new way of playing. But I also think there is enough quality in the team to still be picking up points in the meantime. 

Edit: I don’t expect to see the best of Villa under Dean Smith until his had at least 2 transfer windows. Also think promotion will be next season rather than this season.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On Whelan's debut he made the mandatory Pirlo type spray across and upfield pinpoint passes and then went down hill re:passing ability since then which seems to be the norm with our players, I remember a similar debut from Lansbury.

Who knows, maybe they still have it in the locker somewhere?

EDIT: Pretty sure I made this post a few days ago, but for some reason it is stock in the editor on my mobile and the only way to lose it is to repost. ?

I remember reading it!  Felt a moment of deja vu 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Think of the Spanish pronunciation;

Jesus = Hey-soos 

which is where Suso comes from I assume.

The Suso who used to play for Liverpool who is now at AC Milan is named Jesús Joaquín Fernández Sáez de la Torre.

So I imagine Suso is a common nickname for Jesus in Spain.

• Like 1

Â