Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Was this guy responsible for Argentina winning the world cup?

Ok not entirely, (that Messi chap is quite decent), but bringing Emi out of obscurity to become their number 1 made a hell of a difference the outcome.

Genuinely doubt they'd have won it without him between the sticks and our Deano surely deserves praise for that.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Was this guy responsible for Argentina winning the world cup?

Ok not entirely, (that Messi chap is quite decent), but bringing Emi out of obscurity to become their number 1 made a hell of a difference the outcome.

Genuinely doubt they'd have won it without him between the sticks and our Deano surely deserves praise for that.

I think that was all down to Cutler, listen to his interview on Claret and Blue podcast, Emi was his suggestion to the board and he was very insistent on getting him.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think that was all down to Cutler, listen to his interview on Claret and Blue podcast, Emi was his suggestion to the board and he was very insistent on getting him.

Cutler was given power over the goalkeeper moves. I think the Heaton injury was a blessing for Emi as we didnt think we could trust Heaton

Not sure if He has played a game since leaving

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cutler was given power over the goalkeeper moves. I think the Heaton injury was a blessing for Emi as we didnt think we could trust Heaton

Heaton was a good signing at the time , great keeper. His injury and Emi's form when he signed just meant he had to go . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tinker said:

Heaton was a good signing at the time , great keeper. His injury and Emi's form when he signed just meant he had to go . 

I wasnt criticising but meant we couldnt trust him staying fit

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

That lack of ego was probably Dean Smith’s biggest strength. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

That lack of ego was probably Dean Smith’s biggest strength. 

This all over, Smith was willing to trust others judgement over his own, sometimes it works and it did with Cutler who's obviously extremely talented when it comes to keepers. 

• Like 4

On 18/12/2022 at 11:45, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s strange how it’s deemed (by some) to be a one-way arrangement. It’s perfectly okay for fans to group together and give it out but as soon as a Manager pushes back a bit they should be sacked

its about Winning.....they are not winning enough, and when that happens it gets personal.

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think and  i hate to say it eustace is doing a better job than smith. He has taken a absolutely shit team who have hardly any fans to 8th 3 points behind norwich

They are also only 3 points above Stoke in 17th.

The Championship is one of those divisions where almost everyone is only a few points away from the playoff places

• Like 1

On 19/12/2022 at 12:59, Zatman said:

I wasnt criticising but meant we couldnt trust him staying fit

At the time he was never going to be fit for start of that season in September 2020 given he did his ACL on Jan 1st. Reina had gone back, Steer was still coming back from his own Achilles injury so we simply had to get a new keeper in or just continue with Nyland which would've been a laughable option at that point.

Was trying to remember what other keepers we were linked with that summer, wasn't there some rumour about putting in a late bid for Ramsdale so that might've been someone DS fancied as option but Emi signed pretty quickly so felt like a deal that was always going to happen once he got told Leno would remain number one keeper for that season.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

At the time he was never going to be fit for start of that season in September 2020 given he did his ACL on Jan 1st. Reina had gone back, Steer was still coming back from his own Achilles injury so we simply had to get a new keeper in or just continue with Nyland which would've been a laughable option at that point.

Was trying to remember what other keepers we were linked with that summer, wasn't there some rumour about putting in a late bid for Ramsdale so that might've been someone DS fancied as option but Emi signed pretty quickly so felt like a deal that was always going to happen once he got told Leno would remain number one keeper for that season.

Butland was rumoured but not sure what season it was. Joe Hart as well sounds like a transfer we would have been rumoured to go for

1 hour ago, Genie said:

They are also only 3 points above Stoke in 17th.

The Championship is one of those divisions where almost everyone is only a few points away from the playoff places

The more blose are not taken seriously the more chance they ahve with a play off spot. They quietly sit in 8th and there is zero pressure on them. I really hope they dont do a forest

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

The more blose are not taken seriously the more chance they ahve with a play off spot. They quietly sit in 8th and there is zero pressure on them. I really hope they dont do a forest

They've only won 4 home games all season and they have a very tough away run for second half of the season, starting with Burnley away a week today.

They'll be a good 10 + points off 6th end of the season when you see current form likes of Boro and West Brom are in and those two have the squads to last the pace.

Mid table is still pretty decent for SHA given their endless issues of course.

Â