Dean Smith

Demitri_C

48 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I thought Sanson kicking the bottle was bad, but Buendia heading off down the touchline spoke volumes.  He has lost the players.

They don't look happy, got to admit.

Bailey's body language was terrible as well if I'm honest.

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

Apparently been given the backing of the board to turn it around.

If this is the case, we refocus and " go again " I guess.

10 match winning streak incoming? 👀

I guess maybe players and management knowing they are secure might motivate and r focus everyone again?

Or is this the " dreaded vote of confidence "?

4 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

If we do fire Smith who exactly will come in? Villa is a career killer for a manager. I have an awful feeling it will be someone like Terry or Lampard. No thanks.

It's the big standard villa cycle of 4 years or so to fire and hire the manager. Rinse and repeat. 

Personally, and I'll probably get shot for suggesting it, I would seriously look at Hassenhuttl.

Maybe the board can have a quiet word if we get turned over by Southampton on Friday. I can't see how Smith can survive in the job if we don't get a win in the next couple of games.

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

I think this is the bit that I'm worried about the most with Dean. He's done brilliantly up to a point, but it's looking more and more likely that he's gone as far as he can with us. I really love the guy but I'm definitely starting to think it might be time for a change.

Yeah feeling the same tbh. We survived in the first season thanks to Covid. Then last season we had a great start and then poor second half of the season with some bad periods without Jack. This season just seems a mess, no consistency at all and the most worrying is how many players seem to be pissed off too. Sanson, Buendia, and Mings dropped. 

He's got to get a win or at least 2 draws from these next 3 games otherwise he has to be sacked, especially as he's got an international break to try steady things. The problem is if you don't have a replacement that you know is better than Smith then why fire him now if realistically relegation isn't on the card. It's only if relegation fears are real that he should be sacked.

I find it highly unlikely that he will be with us next season. He can't go into next season with 1 year left on his contract and the owners are not going to extend it given how inconsistent form is under Smith. I think it's best to see out the season under Smith and make the change next summer that gives owners time to plan who is best to take over. 

As for Smith's chances of a new contract and being here next season. Realistically we need to beat last seasons points total and position. If he turns things around and can get this team averaging 1.7 points per game over the final 28 games then there is momentum there to carry through into next season. IF we keep blowing hot and cold or worse just cold then the change is made.

Personally, regardless of what Smith can realistically do from here I think he's too limited to take us forward in the manner we want. If a better coach is available we should make the switch

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Personally, and I'll probably get shot for suggesting it, I would seriously look at Hassenhuttl.

Maybe the board can have a quiet word if we get turned over by Southampton on Friday. I can't see how Smith can survive in the job if we don't get a win in the next couple of games.

Next 2 games are Saints and Brighton so we can get the interviews done after the games

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mind boggling isn't it? 

Considering how Smith played at Brentford. 

I was thinking this just the other day. I think back to when Deano initially took on the job, we immediately started to play a passing game and could play some nice intricate football. I do wonder whether the appoinment of Craig Shakespeare and the demotion/loss of ROK is partly responsible for this change in style. I do think lesser players tend to take the easy option of chipping it down the line if the confidence is low, and that may also partly explain the current style.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

I love the 3-4-3 formation for a number of reasons I won't go into but you only need to watch Chelsea to see how they always have a pass on and someone in space.

The problem is we can't play it, we signed Ings, Bailey, Buendia and already have Traore, Watkins. You have to bench 2 of them, if we wanted to play this system we should have spent the money on a CM and 3rd CB.

Our summer activity made sense to me until we signed Danny Ings and as I just put in his thread I heard it was a Purslow signing to lower the damage of Grealish going. Smith doesn't play 2 up front and now he's having to force Ings in and also not drop Watkins. Absolutely shitshow if that is what's going on.

There’s something not quite right behind the scenes but I have no idea what it is. 3 at the back, 2 up front and hoofball really aren’t Smith things. Add to that ROK and  to a lesser extent JT leaving, aren't in my opinion decisions Smith would have been encouraging. 

It feels like Dean is being marginalised, the question is by who. Shakespeare has history as does Purslow. Both seem to want the limelight a bit too much, particularly Purslow. 

The buck always stops with the manager so Dean should be able to chose his own coaches. However Purslow is his boss and I’m not sure Dean make a big public show of anything, both out of loyalty to the club and it’s just not in his character. 

Something isn’t right and ultimately Dean Smith will probably be the one who pays for it. But I’m not sure we’d be solving all our problems by changing the manager. Hopefully NSWE are all seeing and will  cut out any rot before it spreads and does any real damage. Purslow coming on to the pitch to shake players hands and his high profile style as a CEO has never sat comfortably with me. Is another battle to control Villa Park already underway? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

I thought Sanson kicking the bottle was bad, but Buendia heading off down the touchline spoke volumes.  He has lost the players.

I didn't notice this yesterday. Was he injured though? Didn't look it

Â