Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Dean has been given a squad physically weak in midfield, little pace and skill out wide, toothless upfront and error prone at the back. 

I find it hard to really get on him too much. The squad is a disgrace really.

I'm sorry, to have to admit..... I have to agree with you.

But surely Dean can say something, if he's not happy with the players, he is presented with....I do feel for him, under such circumstances.

but I will also say, if a team hasn't any defensive qualities, you haven't a hope in hell of acheiving anything.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think he is part of the panel that signs them. I don't think he plays the main part. 

The summer business was disastrous and it what will ultimately cost us. 

We had our chance and we blew it.

Once again, it saddens me to say....I think you are right.

I have had a jaundiced view on our transfer business for years and under different owners, coaches and scouts......We get it right, far too infrequently.

Sure, everyone buys badly, we just do it too often.....or we just can't get anything out of them, for whatever reason.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

You did say last time. Dont misquote yourself 

Regards 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

You did say last time. Dont misquote yourself 

Regards 

Oh no I didn't, ( 'did I children' ) or how about ' look out he's behind you'. It's not the pantomime season is it?

ATB

VLD.

44 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I mean, if we do go down, a lot of 'why' will be down to the players we bought, but when making as many signings as we did, the chances of that working were always going to be against us. Not only did those players need to find form individually, most of them needed to do it for the first time in the Premier League and some in a new country. And even if they had been able to maintain decent personal form, there was always going to be the issue of how they all gelled together. With one or two exceptions, It hasn't really happened consistently on either front. This season is basically a punt that has never looked like coming off. But then you think, what other option was there? You don't buy a quality new team for £140m or whatever it was. 

Don't get me wrong. I think the challenge of building the squad was huge. Because of how Bruce put together the championship team we had no choice but to do what we did. But we **** it up. 

I wasn't expecting a super team but to not have one single signing that you could say was a success is a spectacular failure in my eyes. I include mings in this. Love the guy and he makes us better at times, but no way could I claim he's been a success. 

The record fee on wesley was a disgraceful decision. We spent £50 + on centre back and defensively are an utter embarrassment. In part that's because we've signed luiz, who isn't ready and nakamba, who never will be. 

You don't buy a quality team for the money we spent. But to spend £150 million and not come away with one player who has consistently performed is a massive failure from the recruitment team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Don't get me wrong. I think the challenge of building the squad was huge. Because of how Bruce put together the championship team we had no choice but to do what we did. But we **** it up. 

I wasn't expecting a super team but to not have one single signing that you could say was a success is a spectacular failure in my eyes. I include mings in this. Love the guy and he makes us better at times, but no way could I claim he's been a success. 

The record fee on wesley was a disgraceful decision. We spent £50 + on centre back and defensively are an utter embarrassment. In part that's because we've signed luiz, who isn't ready and nakamba, who never will be. 

You don't buy a quality team for the money we spent. But to spend £150 million and not come away with one player who has consistently performed is a massive failure from the recruitment team. 

This is it.

End of debate. I can't see how anyone can say yes these players were successes. Aside from Christian Purslow lying at the villa trust AGM that is, they're all probably worth less than we paid I'm afraid boss.

Dean has, and continues to make mistakes along the way, but the team is just not good enough.

Only a John McGinn miracle will keep us up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This is it.

End of debate. I can't see how anyone can say yes these players were successes. Aside from Christian Purslow lying at the villa trust AGM that is, they're all probably worth less than we paid I'm afraid boss.

Dean has, and continues to make mistakes along the way, but the team is just not good enough.

Only a John McGinn miracle will keep us up.

I'd say if you look it up on transfermarkt or some other similar website you'll find they probably are worth more than we paid. 

The crux of it is though, who would we get to pay the theoretical transfer fee for some of these players?

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I'd say if you look it up on transfermarkt or some other similar website you'll find they probably are worth more than we paid. 

Don't care what a website says as a guess. That site is good for checking what people paid, not predicting what someone will pay.

Who is paying us £11m+ for Marv or Trezeguet? £14m+ for Targett? Over £20m for **** Wes. Luiz probably the one actually, his value has probably gone up some.

The main difference going down this time to last time is we've got players on lower wages hopefully. It's still a lot of players no one else will want.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't care what a website says as a guess. That site is good for checking what people paid, not predicting what someone will pay.

Who is paying us £11m+ for Marv or Trezeguet? £14m+ for Targett? Over £20m for **** Wes. Luiz probably the one actually, his value has probably gone up some.

The main difference going down this time to last time is we've got players on lower wages hopefully. It's still a lot of players no one else will want.

That's essentially what I said in the second sentence.

10 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

The crux of it is though, who would we get to pay the theoretical transfer fee for some of these players?

I accept that we all have our own opinion on this but......If we got half the money paid for the wasters we employed in the summer I would be astonished. Who would buy them? Who would pay 22million for Wesley for heavens sake!!!!!!

Regards,

VLD.

4 minutes ago, Graham t said:

I accept that we all have our own opinion on this but......If we got half the money paid for the wasters we employed in the summer I would be astonished. Who would buy them? Who would pay 22million for Wesley for heavens sake!!!!!!

Regards,

VLD.

Read the second sentence of my post. I did say the crux is finding someone to pay the theoretical fee. FWIW Wes is now worth 25 million pounds (according to that one website I mentioned).😉

The same posters who were saying that finishing seventeenth would be a great achievement and we shouldn't be expecting any more, now saying that the squad is rubbish and we've wasted a load of money on it, despite the fact that we're still well placed to achieve that seventeenth place finish only being two points off with eleven games still to play and us having a game in hand over those arounds us... The squad isn't rubbish, the problem is that they were all signed at the same time, so are all learning and adapting together, so it's  going to take longer for them to improve indvidually as they're in an inexperienced team, if you took any of them out of our team and put them in a more experienced team they'd look a lot better.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Read the second sentence of my post. I did say the crux is finding someone to pay the theoretical fee. FWIW Wes is now worth 25 million pounds (according to that one website I mentioned).😉

Ah, that must be on the planet Zob then. Or maybe Lambert has put in a cheeky bid.😜🤡

ATB.

VLD.

18 minutes ago, useless said:

The same posters who were saying that finishing seventeenth would be a great achievement and we shouldn't be expecting any more, now saying that the squad is rubbish and we've wasted a load of money on it, despite the fact that we're still well placed to achieve that seventeenth place finish only being two points off with eleven games still to play and us having a game in hand over those arounds us... The squad isn't rubbish, the problem is that they were all signed at the same time, so are all learning and adapting together, so it's  going to take longer for them to improve indvidually as they're in an inexperienced team, if you took any of them out of our team and put them in a more experienced team they'd look a lot better.

The squad is terrible. 

17th place would be a great achievement with this squad. We are in position to get it but every week that passes it looks less likely. 

You seem to indicate that thinking the squad is rubbish and being happy with 17th are mutually exclusive thoughts. They really aren't. 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Dean has been given a squad physically weak in midfield, little pace and skill out wide, toothless upfront and error prone at the back. 

I find it hard to really get on him too much. The squad is a disgrace really.

Even ONE, literally ONE big strong midfielder, a "Midfield Ming's" would have made so much difference to our squad!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Even ONE, literally ONE big strong midfielder, a "Midfield Ming's" would have made so much difference to our squad!

I think Phillip's from Leeds would have been huge. 

All hindsight but we really could have spent our money wiser. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yep playing with wing backs means you have 2 solid strong tacklers who can run and head. We have approximately none.

And that's why our defence is looking so bad, there is no protection from a very poor cm.

• Like 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

So all his talk of players playing their way out was hot air.

Great show of strength and character Deano. No wonder the players are getting away with murder.

Seems the shape has changed.. 4 - 4 - 1 - 1?

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Seems the shape has changed.. 4 - 4 - 1 - 1?

Only real change is one of the centre backs going out as a result of the formation change. El Ghazi, Guilbert and Luiz should be very thankful they are playing in a cup final after their complete lack of effort last week. 

Â