Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

All in all....I think the subs situation just highlights how far we have to go with the squad. 

Everyone was waxing lyrical about Lansbury after the cup performances against weak opposition and calling for his inclusion....he was put on and was ineffectual and IMO I don't think he is premier league quality.

We still have about 5 signings to make in the midfield and attacking areas for our subs to be effective and game changing when they come on!

Exactly. Nakamba aside the bench is very week. We’ve signed 12 players yet still only have half a rebuild. I wish fans would realise this.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Exactly. Nakamba aside the bench is very week. We’ve signed 12 players yet still only have half a rebuild. I wish fans would realise this.

Only the attack and midfield areas are weak IMO....Engels on the bench proves a little strength in depth there.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kodija should never play for us again. I don’t think he well either.

Dunno - with the ball bobbling around the utd box as it was for the first 40 mins today - would you not think JK might have got on the end of something ?  - But when we are hanging on you want Wesley not Kjodia - the liverpool game showed that.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Dunno - with the ball bobbling around the utd box as it was for the first 40 mins today - would you not think JK might have got on the end of something ?  - But when we are hanging on you want Wesley not Kjodia - the liverpool game showed that.

I think his attitude stinks. Lazy player. Really hope we shift him in jan.

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Just posted in the Match Reactions what a true joy it is to watch a side, after all these years, that actually looks like it’s been well coached.

Deano and his team are doing a magnificent job, in my view. 

It's also a joy to go into every game knowing the manager is trying to win it. 

Every manager will tell you they try and win every week of course, before setting up with 10 blokes behind the ball. 

He is an absolute breath of fresh air and is doing a wonderful job. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Every manager will tell you they try and win every week of course, before setting up with 10 blokes behind the ball. 

Yes indeed. 

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

Lansbury on was one hell of a roll of the dice. I thought Lansbury's shot was going in for a millisecond too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

A thoroughly classy performance today. Yes it was difficult at times, we were in the trenches for a good 20 minutes in the second half, yet once again we have shown we can compete with a team who should still finish comfortably in the top 8 this season, despite their problems. And we were way from home. 

On that away from home aspect, it has been a frustration of mine that they seem to need that home crowd behind them to really push on, Norwich aside. Our away fans are great obviously, but something does seem to have gotten into the players minds. Yet today, they go behind and what do they do? Straight away bang, not having it. Villa level. Yes we did the same at Arsenal, but on that occasion we crumbled. Today they stood tall, could (and perhaps should) have won it. If only Grealish's foot were a couple of inches longer...

United had a couple of half chances but nothing special, this was a vintage away display. O'Neil-esq actually. Another string to Dean's bow. 

I honestly think we are going to finish in the top half. 

I’ve said previously that the only two teams I fear playing are Liverpool and Man City.  I truly believe that we can take points from anyone in this league when we play at our best and concentrate for 90 minutes. 

I think the sloppy goals conceded are down to naivety and inexperience perhaps, but boy this current group is a joy to watch.  How often have we gone to Old Trafford and given it a real go? Not often enough in my lifetime.  

So pleased that Smith is here now and hopefully for the long haul, because this group he’s assembling is just the tip of the iceberg.  A mid table or top half finish would be amazing.  

• Like 4

Another thing I have noticed is how much better our press is with Grealish further forward. Even El Ghazi is getting stuck in.

We seem to have a clear plan for how we are going to press each week. This week we tried to have their full backs pass it into central midfield. It didn't quite come off in the second half but it caused them all sorts of problems in the first 45. It will be slightly different against Chelsea, I think we might try to press them in midfield, or we may just go pure counter attack like we did in the Playoff Final against Lampard. Either way I can't wait to find out. 

I'm telling you, this guy Smith is brilliant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Another thing I have noticed is how much better our press is with Grealish further forward. Even El Ghazi is getting stuck in.

We seem to have a clear plan for how we are going to press each week. This week we tried to have their full backs pass it into central midfield. It didn't quite come off in the second half but it caused them all sorts of problems in the first 45. It will be slightly different against Chelsea, I think we might try to press them in midfield, or we may just go pure counter attack like we did in the Playoff Final against Lampard. Either way I can't wait to find out. 

I'm telling you, this guy Smith is brilliant. 

Yes, he is.

100% agree every word........Id add it’s not only HOW we will do it each week, it’s when we do it each game....we now clearly have on field communication between players “firing the starting gun”.

Â