Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Well Smith needs to try something, cause i'm not seeing much progress since the begining of the season. Even though Chelsea are a better team (some say), we were very lethargic, not helped by Wes being completely useless in front of goal.

I don't think there's anything he could have done to have won the game tonight and I'm not going to worry about losing 2-1 away at a top 4 team. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

This is where Dean Smith earns his money. It's practically all gone right since he took over but now he needs to start making the hard calls. Everyone can see the stars of last year in McGinn and Mings clearly need a rest. He also needs to be thinking about how to deal with our strike situation.

Neither will be dropped anytime soon imo. With Mings to me it's a simple case of just telling him straight to do the basics rather than this Beckenbauer ball playing CB he's desperately trying to be.

Just needs a good talking to rather than any dropping.

Dean and his subs again.....I get he dosen't rate Kodj at this level but surely he has to come on for last ten minutes in games we're losing? Luiz should've been on at half time although of course no way of telling if the second had been stopped.

• Like 1

Just now, Farlz said:

Don't understand the calls for Kodjia myself either. He wouldn't help at all. 

Liverpool game a few weeks ago everybody was saying he should be brought in. Comes on as if he is in a testimonial and hasnt played since

• Like 2

Overall decent performance I thought tonight.

They were really pushing us and we stuck to our guns and kept playing.

They did the usual hatchet job on Grealish and McGinn, and as usual it was only 2 cards when it could have been 5 or 6.

We are a striker away from being comfortably mid-table.

Purslow and Smith need to get into the owners and go and beg for some January money. A good striker and we're staying up no problem.

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

Don't understand the calls for Kodjia myself either. He wouldn't help at all. 

The only call from me was we were losing a football match and he was the striker on the bench so can't really work out why he didn't come on for last 10 minutes. No one with a straight face can say Jota was a better goal bet.

In his previous sub appearances at this level it's purely been to come on to see out a game (Spurs) and Liverpool so he should at least get a run out in a game where result is still in the balance.

• Like 1

ThoughT he got it wrong last night with his team formation and starting 11 . He has to move away from his rigid 433 and switch things up and make in game tweaks. Engels should have been brought back in and I would of maybe sacrificed Trezequet for Luiz to start with for an extra body in the midfield. We are too predictable especially with Mcginn & Wesley so out of form. It’s get the ball to jack and hope for the best . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

ThoughT he got it wrong last night with his team formation and starting 11 . He has to move away from his rigid 433 and switch things up and make in game tweaks. Engels should have been brought back in and I would of maybe sacrificed Trezequet for Luiz to start with for an extra body in the midfield. We are too predictable especially with Mcginn & Wesley so out of form. It’s get the ball to jack and hope for the best . 

Didn't see the Chelsea game, but in Smith's defense it's going to benefit the team if the approach has some continuity.

We've already seen so many changes and new beginnings that we've had to accommodate and navigate through, introducing dramatic tweaks just adds another to the list.

It could be costly, as I said I didn't see the game, and I might agree with you had I, but just saying the inclination in defeat is to focus and reason the inadequacies of the game.

Instead of attention being centered on what we don't like, if we look to what we did well, what we can do better in future and how we can be at our best next time, then we thrive.

Really don’t get the criticism for DS last night. Whichever way he had set us up we would have been outplayed.  We are simply miles behind the top teams in terms of squad quality and the options  for our newly promoted side are very limited. We were outplayed by a side with a number of top class players but could have nicked a draw at the death. Keeping it to a one goal deficit was an achievement and at the end of the season GD could be our saviour. Some fans need a dose of realism. At Old Trafford we could have won and got a well deserved draw. Had we done the same at Chelsea, I would have been ecstatic. Bring on Leicester....

• Like 3

He needs to address the Wesley issue as it's costing us points and pissing a lot of people off. 
Either play Trez, Mcginn or el Ghazi through the middle. It is far from ideal but each would do better than that carthorse up top. 

We play with 10 men every week. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, thabucks said:

That's a good post IMO ...and accurate.

I don't think we have to personnel to play 4-3-3 away from home.....especially against a team like Chelsea.

We haven't got the midfield to play that, we need to add bodies in there.....its starting to look a bit Naive......The defence is getting beat up with the wave of attacks going straight through the middle.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

That's a good post IMO ...and accurate.

I don't think we have to personnel to play 4-3-3 away from home.....especially against a team like Chelsea.

We haven't got the midfield to play that, we need to add bodies in there.....its starting to look a bit Naive......The defence is getting beat up with the wave of attacks going straight through the middle.

Problem against Chelsea is we were barely creating any chances.

Smithball when we're not creating chances is not a pretty sight.

When you concede 20+ chances every game it's going to be rough. 

Relying on heroic blocks every week is not sustainable in the long run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Problem against Chelsea is we were barely creating any chances.

Smithball when we're not creating chances is not a pretty sight.

When you concede 20+ chances every game it's going to be rough. 

Relying on heroic blocks every week is not sustainable in the long run.

sadly, that's how I saw it.....I didn't see defending like Newcastle tonight.....i saw what you saw.

I am not going to have a go at Dean, because he looked mad after the game and he may have seen things they had been working on and not executed.

but defensively as a team last night, I thought our organisation was poorly performed.

You say that we never created many chances, granted......but if we had of defended properly as a team, we may have got a draw.

Tonight Newcastle played 4-5-1 and defended resolutely against a very in your face Sheff Utd, not pretty, but military precision and snuffed out everything Sheff Utd threw at them.....all the intensity and effervescence from the blades had gone......job done.

I don't want to play like Newcastle every week, I am happy with our style......but at times like last night, away from home, I want to be able to.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

sadly, that's how I saw it.....I didn't see defending like Newcastle tonight.....i saw what you saw.

I am not going to have a go at Dean, because he looked mad after the game and he may have seen things they had been working on and not executed.

but defensively as a team last night, I thought our organisation was poorly performed.

You say that we never created many chances, granted......but if we had of defended properly as a team, we may have got a draw.

Tonight Newcastle played 4-5-1 and defended resolutely against a very in your face Sheff Utd, not pretty, but military precision and snuffed out everything Sheff Utd threw at them.....all the intensity and effervescence from the blades had gone......job done.

I don't want to play like Newcastle every week, I am happy with our style......but at times like last night, away from home, I want to be able to.

Dead on.

Going head to head against an opposition that got better players than you in every position is not gonna work.

Norwich and us are similar in so many aspects. We are both horribly naive at times in our approach.

Sometimes you just gotta accept that a team is better than you and change strategy. Especially away from home.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Just an open question for others. Why do you guys think we've been conceding so many goals?

Because we concede 20+ shots next to every game we play.

It's inevitable.

Then why are conceding so many shots? Because our fullback bomb forward as well as Mcginn and Hourihane. It gives lots of space to the opponent.

Edited by villalad21

53 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Just an open question for others. Why do you guys think we've been conceding so many goals?

• Mainly momentary or even lengthy lapses in concentration which invite the opposition to back themselves to win the contest and pull something off. They do just that.
  • Lack of cohesion and understanding for how to cope with transitions in play, it's a liability of ours that's been ever present under Smith's reign. Even in the championship.
  • Lack of experience in the division and knowing it's demands, leading to naive mistakes in costly positions or inadequate clearances as a result of faulting under pressure.
  • An approach that consists of passing sequences and build up that exploits gaps in opposition defense that isn't refined and still sees turnovers in costly positions.
  • Being in the developmental stage of tactics requiring utmost focus in each moment, and players being on the same wavelength, in order to outmaneuver opponents.
Edited by A'Villan

Â