Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Brentford play the Brentford way and have done for going back to Uwe Roslers time at the club and then Warburton this wasn’t created by Dean Smith.We were on a similar run you are now on under Smith( we had a few of these )Thomas Frank was added to the coaching staff  after the DoFs brought him over from Denmark and after a meeting with Dean Smith and Richard O’Kelly he joined us and results improved.I think Dean could be missing TFs input and maybe he needs another coach alongside to play the Dean Smith way which has to bring better results for Villa than it did for us as many of your fans have posted us being a mid table team.When Dean left us we were on a 5 game winless run that continued onto 1 win in 10 which at any other club would have had the head coach out of work.TF has now turned it around by changing the formation and we are now 1 defeat in 12 which has us fairly comfortable and set for top half finish which is acceptable for most of our fans.Hope Dean is given time to turn things around he’s a decent bloke and I’m sure he’s busting a gut to get things right and I don’t think you are getting much luck at the moment wouldn’t surprise me if you went on a long winning run of games as Dean Smith does have history for doing this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Looking at your clubs predicament as an outsider, it seems that a lot of your supporters suffer from that “Big Club” syndrome still, you are what you are, like us and the rest of them, a Championship club, nothing more nothing less.

I liked Dean Smith’s brand of football, he has his faults, but it was easy on the eye, and he was good at getting the best out of young hungry players, but you could see that he would find it difficult for us to progress much further than a decent Championship club, that suited a small club like ours, and when he left not much sleep was lost, and we have now started to get back on track again.

You are at the other end of the spectrum with old players that can’t be asked or bothered to change their ways, luckily most of them will be out of contract and gone soon, you will neither go up or down this season, So therefore I think he needs to stay and rebuild with younger hungry players of his choice, you must at least give him a full season with his own squad, and without any loan players, then see how it all goes and revisit the situation then, there is no point in getting rid of him now.

The fans demand instant improvement all the time. Yet the opposite keeps happening.

Im convinced a lot of fans go to the villa every game cuz they got f**k all better to do or can’t  be arsed to cancel their season ticket renewal. 

If can’t go pub and game on Saturday gonna have to go shopping with the wife. The worst of two evils!

4 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Brentford play the Brentford way and have done for going back to Uwe Roslers time at the club and then Warburton this wasn’t created by Dean Smith.We were on a similar run you are now on under Smith( we had a few of these )Thomas Frank was added to the coaching staff  after the DoFs brought him over from Denmark and after a meeting with Dean Smith and Richard O’Kelly he joined us and results improved.I think Dean could be missing TFs input and maybe he needs another coach alongside to play the Dean Smith way which has to bring better results for Villa than it did for us as many of your fans have posted us being a mid table team.When Dean left us we were on a 5 game winless run that continued onto 1 win in 10 which at any other club would have had the head coach out of work.TF has now turned it around by changing the formation and we are now 1 defeat in 12 which has us fairly comfortable and set for top half finish which is acceptable for most of our fans.Hope Dean is given time to turn things around he’s a decent bloke and I’m sure he’s busting a gut to get things right and I don’t think you are getting much luck at the moment wouldn’t surprise me if you went on a long winning run of games as Dean Smith does have history for doing this.

Good post but whack it in paragraphs or nobody will read if!

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can only think because at that stage we still had a chance for promotion and the youngsters weren't ready to improve us. Hence loan them out so they get some regular game time. 

Had playoff chances already been over I suspect a few of them would have stayed.

That makes sense. I do however think the writing has been on the wall for a while that many of this group are unable to play the way Smith wants especially without Grealish to mask over that fact.

We haven't played well since WBA away and performances at Preston, Wigan and at home to QPR, Hull and even when beating Ipswich should have been enough to see it was time to look beyond this season and go full throttle in planning for next.

I can though see what @Shropshire Lad  said and that it may well be we are still playing some the players to give them a shop window to sell them.

This all shows what a mess things are though doesn't it and what a difficult job Smith has. He inherited the oldest squad in the league many of whom are unable to adapt to his ways or simply physically incapable of playing Smiths way week in week out. With many of those players having no future here beyond this season do you spend 6 months playing a style of football that perhaps gets more out of them or do you stick to your football philosophies and take the short term pain for hopefully long term gain.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

That makes sense. I do however think the writing has been on the wall for a while that many of this group are unable to play the way Smith wants especially without Grealish to mask over that fact.

We haven't played well since WBA away and performances at Preston, Wigan and at home to QPR, Hull and even when beating Ipswich should have been enough to see it was time to look beyond this season and go full throttle in planning for next.

I can though see what @Shropshire Lad  said and that it may well be we are still playing some the players to give them a shop window to sell them.

This is all shows what a mess things are though doesn't it and what a difficult job Smith has. He inherited the oldest squad in the league many of whom are unable to adapt to his ways or simply physically incapable of playing Smiths way week in week out. With many of those players having no future here beyond this season do you spend 6 months playing a style of football that perhaps gets more out of them or do you stick to your football philosophies and take the short term pain for hopefully long term gain.

Has to be the latter in my opinion. We need to create an identify and way of playing at the club.  In a few years I want to hear people say they enjoy watching villa play. I don’t care what league we are in. Whenever I watch Brentford no matter the result I love seeing them play. 

The players that are still here have a chance to prove they can play his way and earn a new contract.

• Like 3

Interesting article for those that have not read it.

Dean Smith wants to put his own stamp on this Aston Villa team but insists he needs time to implement the changes.

Ahead of today’s clash with West Bromwich Albion, the boss explained how he has tweaked his set-up and changed his demands in recent weeks after conceding too many goals earlier in the season.

Smith’s analysis of the recent defeat to Brentford highlighted how far away his Villa side are at present.

He said: “Anyone who watched Brentford play on Tuesday will know how I want my teams to play.”

On Friday he spoke at length about his playing style, whether the players at Villa can match his demands and why results haven’t gone to plan in the last three months.

It’s always frustrating at any club if they’re not playing how you want them to.

Read more

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dean-smith-lays-bare-frustrations-15840440

• Like 2

13 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t Know too much about it. It worked out in the short term. It does seem to be different . He took over a team that was doing well. Smith has taken over a team in freefall

In actual fact, we was struggling when Barton took over  the 9 Feb '81/'82 ,IIRC.....He turned things a bit.

Ron Saunders up until 9 Feb 1982

w      D      L

6       7      10

Tony Barton from 9 Feb 1982

w      D      L

9       5      5

Doug Ellis Sacked him in '83'/'84' for finishing in 10th place in the first division.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

In actual fact, we was struggling when Barton took over  the 9 Feb '81/'82 ,IIRC.....He turned things a bit.

Ron Saunders up until 9 Feb 1982

w      D      L

6       7      10

Tony Barton from 9 Feb 1982

w      D      L

9       5      5

Doug Ellis Sacked him in '83'/'84' for finishing in 10th place in the first division.

Here we go again. It’s not the 80s anymore Tro. Let it go!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Here we go again. It’s not the 80s anymore Tro. Let it go!!

errrrrr, excuse me.

I was just putting the record straight, that M_Afro said "He inherited a team that was doing well".....at that time they wasn't

But while we are here....why not glean points from a team that we got to win the European cup? what a benchmark.....just because you may not have been around, don't be so sensitive in being left out.

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So based on this how do you expect us to turn a corner even if Jack and Tuanzebe return?

I fail to ser how these 2 magicians are going to make everything suddenly all better.

Jack adds ball retention & creative passing with are “smith ball” what’s happened since Jack and Axel have gone is Smiths not adapted accordingly and it’s increasing the pressure on him. He needs time but we don’t have time and that’s the problem. 

Interestingly Thatcherlover on Twitter who claims to be ITK reckons there’s a split camp over JT effectively being sidelined by DS. I certainly think there’s something wrong for us to have gone backwards so quickly. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Has to be the latter in my opinion. We need to create an identify and way of playing at the club.  In a few years I want to hear people say they enjoy watching villa play. I don’t care what league we are in. Whenever I watch Brentford no matter the result I love seeing them play. 

The players that are still here have a chance to prove they can play his way and earn a new contract.

We all do.

but,I would use Norwich as more my Benchmark.....Or Wolves & Fulham last season.

I understand your point, but they usually finish mid table most seasons.....Its fine having football that's easy on the eye, but it has to have substance too that gives you results.

Albion themselves used to be pretty,pretty ....and now they have added that much needed steel to give them durablity, to challenge.

Edited by TRO

Thanks @Reivax_VillaI hadn’t seen that.

Im reassured by that. He’s explained what’s what as far as I am concerned, he’s said as much as he can dare say without slaughtering the players or attacking the previous Managers style. I’m going to put myself firmly in the camp of giving him next season. 

We aren’t going anywhere the last ten years or so, I think he knows what h3 wants to do, I think it’s what we need, and I’ve no reason to think anyone else would, or wouldn’t, be better or worse.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The fans demand instant improvement all the time. Yet the opposite keeps happening.

Im convinced a lot of fans go to the villa every game cuz they got f**k all better to do or can’t  be arsed to cancel their season ticket renewal. 

If can’t go pub and game on Saturday gonna have to go shopping with the wife. The worst of two evils!

I think the last 10 years or so has proved that, inaccurate.....The fantastic attendances this football club gets, the fans deserve better.

The patience has been a virtue from a very loyal fan base,who just wants to see their team do well.

I can think of many teams in the top half of the premier league....If they had some of the turgid stuff we had to watch they would get no where near our gates.

Aston Villa fans are patience personified as opposed to your claim.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Thanks @Reivax_VillaI hadn’t seen that.

Im reassured by that. He’s explained what’s what as far as I am concerned, he’s said as much as he can dare say without slaughtering the players or attacking the previous Managers style. I’m going to put myself firmly in the camp of giving him next season. 

We aren’t going anywhere the last ten years or so, I think he knows what h3 wants to do, I think it’s what we need, and I’ve no reason to think anyone else would, or wouldn’t, be better or worse.

Bang On Terry.

He need to just be left alone now, to get on with the rebuild or planning for it......The seasons gone now.....He just needs to work on the team for next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

With many of those players having no future here beyond this season do you spend 6 months playing a style of football that perhaps gets more out of them or do you stick to your football philosophies and take the short term pain for hopefully long term gain.

That sums up your predicament nicely, and I think that is the best route to go down.

23 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Interestingly Thatcherlover on Twitter who claims to be ITK reckons there’s a split camp over JT effectively being sidelined by DS. I certainly think there’s something wrong for us to have gone backwards so quickly. 

Interesting you say that as I was under the impression DS didn't want JT here from the start and not suprised to here something like this. I.e lesving JT to wonder around as a spare part/surplus to requirements.

As for JT trying to gain experience for management - I can't see him learning much from DS and Kelly.

How much substance there is to the Twitter ITK is another matter but you raise an interesting point.

Â