Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

5 hours ago, mykeyb said:

We do write off players far too quickly as a fanbase.

I think there is a player in there.

Look at Traore. He's played less than 200 minutes of football for Villa. Is settling back into the UK ( not London a different part of the country) and a new club.

Fans on here have already written him off. It's unreal. Petrov, Milner (the era many look back on with nostalgia)  both took a whole season before we saw the best of them.

Anyway off topic..... But I like what I've seen of Traore and he obviously needs games. Yes he's made mistakes but he's another player just like AEG. Needs confidence and things going their way and then they can become a very useful weapons. (the good type.)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sne said:

Was on the pitch 15 minutes, 10 of which we were a man down and all he did was score the game winning penalty. I'd take that contribution any day.

H'e s not the way forward but what an absolute boss for stepping up in that situation and slotting the penalty home calf as can be. That takes balls.

shutterstock_1072840187_1200x628.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 16:34, Dave-R said:

I'm writing this without looking at the comments above as I do not want to read other comments and have to place my opinion around theres.

When Ghazi came on I thought here we go, another bore display to watch and I cant see him getting round the Wolves back line, I was right.

Then McGinn was brought down and Ghazi stepped up due to Jack giving him the nod over Watkins, I will say that I wasnt feeling nervous. I felt confident in Ghazi taking the penalty even though I'd of given it to Watkins. So yes Ghazi scores which is fantastic, so between McGinn going down, watkins a lovely bit of play before McGinn went down and Ghazi stepping up to make it count when its needed I am over the moon.

Now on to the next bit, it's fantastic that Ghazi has scored from a penalty, however what u want for him is to start scoring from shots away from the spot. Ghazi scoring from a penalty for me doesnt automatically bounce him into the starting eleven. The guy has a long way to go before hes in the first eleven but some on here will be getting there pants and in some ways where credit is due, credit is given and Ghazi deserved it for converting the Pen. Now I do hope that the goal gives him confidence and enough that Ghazi does start scoring, it would be lovely to see but I'm not confident in him and rightly so.

Everyone keeps going on about his goal that helped to promote us, when are we going to stop holding that over him and judge Ghazi for the player he is today, anyone else and they'd be shot to shit for it. Sometimes I wonder if part of the problem is that goal that helped us to get promoted, everyone always talks about that goal that you never hear anything us and it's an expectation on him that maybe he could do with out. Ghazi scored, Great, let's see the lad go do that again and again then I will give the lad an easier break or at least put in decent displays. Till then Ghazi has to go out and prove his critics wrong and a goal at Wolves doesnt justify a starting eleven place and to forget this and last seasons poor performances so far. If were expected to forget last seasons poor performances and this seasons, then we must be willing to forget what he did I  the championship be it good or bad. Fans with Ghazi and himself must move on from that promotion goal, with a clean slate in our minds and to do that when hes brought on to the pitch from now on, Ghazi has to make fans thinks he's worth the time by putting in displays that make us feel WOW or yes fantastic showing.

Its funny its working like that for you and yet you like Trez for the goals that kept us up even though he isnt premier league quality...?

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I always thought El Ghazi has a lot of ability but he just doesn’t seem to have been able to step up in this league. Hard to pin point what the problem is. 

The problem is that although he does have some talent, he simply isn't good enough.

He's a squad player at PL level at best.

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The problem isn't El Ghazi, it's the toxicixty of the internet. Absolutely disgusting that he gets these personal messages thrown at him because someone didn't like what he did on the pitch. 

You see the same happening with Traore - a guy who's had barely any time to show what he can do yet - and you wonder what is wrong with people. 

Don't get me started on those looking to jump on Mings for any and every thing either. 

It's just absolutely pathetic behaviour from individuals who don't have the ability to add more than 'he's shit' to the conversation.

There's a difference between personal attacks and constuctive criticism.

Main beef some have with Mings is his tendency to switch off and that has nothing to do with abuse. Don't remember a lot of people labeling him as "shit"

I've seen some calling him overrated but i don't see much of an issue in saying that. That's just an opinion.

Edited by villalad21
  • Thanks 1

His goal/assist ratio in the premier league is actually pretty decent, five goals and four assists in 2111 minutes of football.

He's actually scored the same amount of premier league goals as Adama Traoré who's played more than twice the amount of premier league football, and has a similar assists to minutes ratio as him as well.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Its funny its working like that for you and yet you like Trez for the goals that kept us up even though he isnt premier league quality...?

Where have I said I like Trez for the goals he kept us up,i like Trez for his hard work and never back down attitude he keeps on going and he shows hes into improving and aiding Villa upwards. Ghazi should take a leaf out of Trezegeut book because when they arrived at the club, Ghazi was a million miles ahead of him in many ways, now its other way round. I think your trying to make something out of nothing with my words. At most last season Trez was far better than what he was before lockdown as were many players, you cant say that about Ghazi at all in fact he has just gotten worse and worse in his time here. There is not a chance I'd play Ghazi in front of Trezegeut, would you??

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Main beef some have with Mings is his tendency to switch off and that has nothing to do with abuse. Don't remember a lot of people labeling him as "shit"

I've seen some calling him overrated but i don't see much of an issue in saying that. That's just an opinion.

VillaLad I will agree  with you.

Some people just do not like when others give out abit of a thrashing towards a player they hold high, that is okay as they are entitled to there opinion. What gets me with it all is even if its hit them in the face about a player and its noticeable on the pitch that they have been playing absolute crap,they will still go and defend them. Sometimes people after there first set of words find it tough to back from what they initially said. 

I dont agree with going to a players social media direct and calling them out abuse or criticism (they get enough of that of the Manager, Coach, staff and players. It doesnt help the player or the club out by directly giving them a thrashing, however if that player was to go searching for what's been said about him then that is totally on them and there fault.. however I do believe it's okay on a site like this where they are less likely to come, that they should be aloud to take a thrashing through social media on performances. People do not get better at what they do if you keep telling them they are doin fine if they are doing bad at something, criticism is there for a reason and it helps us to sort out the bad so we can turn it into the good, you cant sugarcoat it. If people on these football sites are going to throw Hissy fits because we say a player is over rated, he doesnt fit the league, he's absolute wank at the level we are playing at, they need to understand that people talk in different ways in there own way. It's no different than Smith saying it in his own words to the player that "your simply not doing your job", yet sometimes he may say it differently because he feels different about it some days to others..

You can see certain people already jumping to the defence of Ghazi, thats okay. Some are taking anything they can and mixing the words of others to make a defence because they want to see him back so much. Some people they can not see the reason why he moved down the order in the first place and they are blinded, yet they expect the club to keep on wasting time ( at this level, you keep doing that, you end up with loads of players doing that, they have to be moved on eventually). Ghazi has become so lost hes like lost property at Villa, it's a shame but true. We can sit here judging and defending Ghazi all we like through media, truth is though he has to be the one to turn this all round but the club can not keep spending seasons and seasons on him if he can not hack it at this level. Do you want this club, our club to continue to get better?? If so then you have to know when enough is enough with a player, it's not a good samaritan league, it's a business and you need to bring in the players who do the business, if not after a period you part ways. Why do you think that the top six are where they are, smart business over the decades. One example in particular is they make money back by selling there rot to the club further down in the league, we have to do the same by selling our no performing players on.

I said I'd hold off on giving him a new contract and I mean it for the clubs sake, if he cant bring in decent and worthy enough displays by the time his contract his up, find someone who can fill his place of better quality, isnt that fair??

This may be an unpopular opinion but I like him and rate him higher than Trezeguet. He really doesn't deserve the stick he gets. It's clear as day that he is quite a shy and reserved player and his game is confidence driven. When he's on it, he offers 10 times what Trezeguet does.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You think it was just some 'constructive criticism' that caused el ghazi to shut down his social media? Lansbury the same? 

You can say there's a difference all you want, to be quite honest it has nothing to do with what @lexicon said. 

But to make someone shut down their social media is obviously taking it too far. I'm sure there have been lots of comments aimed at Mings which are unsavoury. I don't do social media at all. Idiots like those mentioned are the reason why.

To try and defend people by saying it's 'constructive criticism' when quite clearly in some cases it isn't, is putting you on the same level as those people, IMO 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I like him and rate him higher than Trezeguet. He really doesn't deserve the stick he gets. It's clear as day that he is quite a shy and reserved player and his game is confidence driven. When he's on it, he offers 10 times what Trezeguet does.

They're different players. If you combined the relative skillsets, you'd have a hell of a winger on your hands. 

RE: AEG, for me it's clear that he struggles with his confidence and it comes across as him not working hard. All you needed to do was watch his post-match interview to see that he's not an arrogant guy. 

IMO, I think it's safe to say that the level we need from him is above what we can regularly deliver, for whatever reason. The ability is in there, but whether he can get to grips with the mental side of the game is a whole different story. 

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Can you recall the last time that was, if I'm honest I'd say it was the beginning of last season when he popped a few goals in. He was very good at that point at the start of the season for a few games.

I think Trez has passed Ghazi in many areas now, to be fair I'd rather us find a new pair of wingers and sell them both but it's easier to keep Trez because hes actually doing something when he plays. Ghazi also has never been better than Trez at defending, speed, yes Ghazi was better at dribbling but I think hes been found out by it all and defenders know how easy it is to shut Ghazi down or take advantage of his weak marking.

Again though and as other have pointed out, we need someone who's on Grealish's ability of close on the right. Were not getting displays like Grealish will give at the standards he does from Ghazi or Trez (unclear on Traore time will tell) but we need better from our Wingers. This is partly the reason as to why we keep coming up short in some games because were effective down the left and ineffective down the right flank, it's not good enough anymore.

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

You think it was just some 'constructive criticism' that caused el ghazi to shut down his social media? Lansbury the same? 

You can say there's a difference all you want, to be quite honest it has nothing to do with what @lexicon said. 

But to make someone shut down their social media is obviously taking it too far. I'm sure there have been lots of comments aimed at Mings which are unsavoury. I don't do social media at all. Idiots like those mentioned are the reason why.

To try and defend people by saying it's 'constructive criticism' when quite clearly in some cases it isn't, is putting you on the same level as those people, IMO 

Quite. It's the 'freedom of speech' defence when saying something derogatory/offensive, as if legality directly correlates with basic decency. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Quite. It's the 'freedom of speech' defence when saying something derogatory/offensive, as if legality directly correlates with basic decency. 

It's also the treatment of footballers like they aren't humans too. 

Watching the interview with el ghazi after the game, he's clearly a well spoken, nice and honest chap. Probably a popular guy in the dressing room and part of this closely knit bunch we have, why is it ok to treat someone like that badly?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Never have and never will understand vitriolic abuse towards one of our own players. Absolutely no justification for it whatsoever..

completely agree

like i said in the mings thread if football or aston villa is making you feel so much anger and hate that you feel the need to attack another human being then walk away, its not good for your mental health, football is highs and lows which is why we all love it but it should never be that low

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

He was told by the club to shut it down and we dont know the details of it all. All we know is that during the Carabao cup both Ghazi and Lansbury had been contacted by some fans.Now what those fans said had never come to light, not one word. It could of been a load of messages that said: you did absolute trash today, at that level you should of won the game or you complete utter rocket polisher, you are the shittest player we have, go back to where you came from (the latter is horrible, the first is not), one is understandable and the other Is totally out of order. 

We just dont know what has been said, by how many, how bad it all actually was, the club wont reveal it because they want it gone as quick as can be and dealt with quietly. I will say though that if it was real abuse, racial or whatever the club would not have tolerated it one but, they didnt with that young youth who gave ZAHA a racial abusive battering, Villa do not stand for that type of behaviour. I think it was more in the way that fans were being annoying towards Ghazi and Lansbury and when a good majority are doing it the clubs advice will be just shut it down for a while till it blows over.

I have not even checked but are there accounts back up by any chance??? and if they have been reactivated how long after the incident was they activated.

36 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I think their both average but Trez definitely offers a lot more. 

Â