Match Thread: Villa v Wigan

limpid

We’ve played alright except for Jedi’s howler, which he quite obviously for anyone but Bruce shouldn’t have been in a position to make in the first place. 

McGinn looks lively, while Kodja continues to underwhelm. 

Just now, TheStagMan said:

He has NEVER shown any ability to pick a pass whilst under pressure in defence.  So should not be played there. 

Not sure why this is so difficult to understand. 

I agree he shouldn't start at CB - I've never said otherwise.

However, Steve Bruce does not kick the football for the players.  He isn't responsible for James Chester scoring and he isn't responsible for a player making a massive **** up.  Not sure why this is so difficult to understand.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

James Chester quite clearly prefers, and will get first dibs, at playing right-of-centre at the back.  Alan Hutton has established himself as our first choice left-back, generally.

Personally, I wouldn't chuck Tuanzebe to left-of-centre defence - he is entirely right footed and doesn't bother bringing the ball inside at all (rightly so).  El Mohammady is more than capable as a wing back but looks suspect defensively at right back.  The only thing that should have probably happened is that Elphick retained his place over Jedinak - but people weren't happy with him last game either.  Shrug.

If that's the case, then we really should have looked for a left sided centre back in this window......

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

However, Steve Bruce does not kick the football for the players.  He isn't responsible for James Chester scoring and he isn't responsible for a player making a massive **** up.  Not sure why this is so difficult to understand.

If a player has made the same mistakes before in the same position (against Sheffield United) then yes the blame lies at Bruce 100%.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He put the player in that position. A position he has made howlers like that before. 

He doesn't put him in that position, it doesn't happen. Even having him in centre mid the mistake is further up the field.

Bruce played him in the position where he made the error, as he has had errors before, was critical.

Edited by Dick

Elsewhere at half-time

Baggies equalised and Johnstone saved a penalty for them against Norwich
Boro still beating SHA
Sheff Utd equalised at QPR
Swansea lead Preston
Hull 1 up away at Sheff Weds
Stoke still leading Brentford.

No goals so far in the other 4 games

Scratch that! Baggies 2-1 up straight after half time

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Elsewhere at half-time

Baggies equalised and Johnstone saved a penalty for them against Norwich
Boro still beating SHA
Sheff Utd equalised at QPR
Swansea lead Preston
Hull 1 up away at Sheff Weds
Stoke still leading Brentford.

No goals so far in the other 4 games

Scratch that! Baggies 2-1 up straight after half time

This is going to be one of those weekends where all are promotion rivals win and we drop points against a team we should be beating comfortably at home because of the tactical genius called Steve Bruce.

People actually think we can get promoted under this man.

It's laughable it really is.

Edited by AshVilla

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You are right, if it is an unusual mistake that is unexpected then it is not Bruce's fault, but f*****g hell, Jedinak does this EVERY time he plays at CB. Bruce for some reason decided to play him there, he MUST know that Jedinak is poor there, yet decided, despite having other options, to play him there. 

YES THAT IS DOWN TO BRUCE.

If Hutton has a mare at LB and causes us to concede, then that is not on Bruce, same if it is Chester, because that would be out of the ordinary for those players in their current positions. Whereas if you decide to play a player in a position where he is repeatedly poor, then you cannot expect him to suddenly not be poor. 

Just now, AshVilla said:

This is going to be one of those days where all are promotion rivals all win and we lose against a team we should be beating comfortably at home because of the tactical genius called Steve Bruce.

People actually think we can get promoted under this man.

It's laughable it really is.

It's not as if we're being played off the park. The problem, and my main problem with Bruce, is that we still seem to be cautious at home, even against a recently promoted team.

I also don't understand the raft of changes after the last game.