John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Who would have expected this when he joined? Just a matter of time before he lifts a trophy for us.

Can we start calling him a Villa legend?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He’s done very well in the last 2 games, other than the very early stages at Fulham where he got caught a couple of times.

Have to remember he’s covering for Kamara and hasn’t played the position in a couple of years.

Interesting that Luiz still got forward and scored a couple of goals today, is McGinn playing the Kamara role and playing deeper? I had assumed Luis would play the Kamara role and McGinn would play the Luiz role. Either way, let’s hope they keep it up!

• Like 1

He's absolutely the man the team looks to when we're under the pump. He's the guy you need to hold on to the ball and work it forward. If he's doing that I'm always confident we're going to be okay.

I have to admit I'm not really a fan of him taking corners though. None of the balls he puts in ever look particularly threatening.

33 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Steve Bruce

Don't even think Brucey would envisage McGinn being a regular starter in a top four challenging PL side.

Edited by Tom13

He just keeps rising to the challenge.  Whatever it is, he'll face it. He's matured so much as a player and a person during his time with us. 

Every time the club has transitioned, from Championship to bottom of PL. From there to mid table in the PL, and now to the top 4 of the PL. Surely there isn't a better value signing than this man in our history (factoring in inflation).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

He’s done very well in the last 2 games, other than the very early stages at Fulham where he got caught a couple of times.

Have to remember he’s covering for Kamara and hasn’t played the position in a couple of years.

Interesting that Luiz still got forward and scored a couple of goals today, is McGinn playing the Kamara role and playing deeper? I had assumed Luis would play the Kamara role and McGinn would play the Luiz role. Either way, let’s hope they keep it up!

They kept switching yesterday, which was excellent for continuity. He found himself in some excellent forward positions as well,. It worked

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Crazy to me how some people would be so willing to let him go for " FFP ".

The biggest shame is that FFP is dictating these things rather than football.  

I understand they don't want clubs to go out of business but its ruining the sporting competition. 

• Like 1

Small detail but I notice that John usually walks out with the coaches from the Villa videos of them going into training.

Hoping he's becoming our coach on the pitch.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2024 at 10:19, beasley14 said:

The biggest shame is that FFP is dictating these things rather than football.  

I understand they don't want clubs to go out of business but its ruining the sporting competition. 

Whether it’s “FFP” or not, every business in the world has to balance the books to SOME degree. That was as true 100 years ago in football as it is today.

• Like 1

Posted in Emery thread but also here, very insightful especially how he mentioned Emery has made him study Manu Trigueros of Villarreal inside out, in particular how he attempts through balls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, VillaAlex said:

Posted in Emery thread but also here, very insightful especially how he mentioned Emery has made him study Manu Trigueros of Villarreal inside out, in particular how he attempts through balls.

Why don't we just sign him 🤣

Â