John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Did he really need to be played in both games when Scotland had already qualified? Would be annoying if he's injured at the weekend because he played in a dead rubber against Norway.

If Scotland won by 2 goals against Norway, more than likely have been in Pot 2 for Euros so Clarke was right to put out the strongest team possible. This wasn’t a dead rubber. It was in terms of qualification but it still had something riding on it. Plus, there is no way Scotland’s stand in captain, would willingly miss out on such an amazing, raucous night, just so he could rest up for next Villa game. Playing every game for his country means everything to him, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

If Scotland won by 2 goals against Norway, more than likely have been in Pot 2 for Euros so Clarke was right to put out the strongest team possible. This wasn’t a dead rubber. It was in terms of qualification but it still had something riding on it. Plus, there is no way Scotland’s stand in captain, would willingly miss out on such an amazing, raucous night, just so he could rest up for next Villa game. Playing every game for his country means everything to him, in my opinion. 

It’s difficult because as a Scot you see it as ‘just’ resting up for the next Villa game but that game is a 6 pointer for us in terms of our own ambitions (and he is club captain). We’re also facing a bit of a midfield crisis with 2 of our other starting midfielders being a booking away from suspension so an injury for him is pretty disastrous for us.

I get your point about it not being a dead rubber tho, but I think they could have at least managed his minutes across the two games.

For the longest time I'd call for McGinn to be rested, he looks knackered, his performances have dropped, he's going to get injured or he's plain playing shite.

I've come to the conclusion it's just the way he appears. Every manager we've had plays him to death so I conclude he doesn't need resting.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I've come to the conclusion it's just the way he appears. Every manager we've had plays him to death so I conclude he doesn't need resting.

Irn Bru and cheps. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

He isn't injured is he? Saw a BBC article saying he could be out for a few weeks. 

Most of the reporting seems to be based on a kneejerk reaction from Pat Nevin who spoke of McGinn’s season being potentially “trashed” by his injury. 

Nevin has no idea what this injury was and thus was speaking complete bollocks. McGinn gave post match interviews and didn’t even mention an injury.

Let’s wait to see what Emery says in the presser.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2023 at 01:21, useless said:

He's now only twelve goals off being Scotland's all time record goal scorer, just needs six more to move into the top three behind Law and Dalglish.

Absolutely ridiculous for a CM

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Just an outstanding player. Absolutely phenomenal 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Phenomenal player 

Two posts saying the same thing for John, yet nothing but criticism for Pau. Odd.

McGinn was excellent yesterday imo. Fought really hard for the ball all match and pinged some excellent balls forward that could just as well have lead to goals. Just an outrageously good player and the heart of the team.

Â