John McGinn

PompeyVillan

When he plays within himself and stops his natural instinct to get the ball forward as soon as possible he is a really good footballer. Basically Emery has stopped him marauding and switched him on tactically.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

How’s Unai turned Mcginn into this attacking midfielder maestro. 

Hope the skipper really kicks on this season. 

Probably the same way Scotland did for many years.

The ability was always there. The way some fans turned on him and wanted him gone was a disgrace and it still winds me up thinking about it. 

• Like 4

Buendia needs to learn from his timing.

McGinn picks and chooses when he makes those central moves to receive the ball...and it's the time when there's space to play in.

Buendia tries to do it every second of the match and gets bundled off the ball too much because he's working in so much traffic.

Point is still there. SJM is perfecting the timing of his passes and as an eye test, has been picking the right pass with the right weight. 

Buendia just tries too much to have that killer pass instead of just a high percentage pass. McGinn’s assist to Cash is emblematic of that. Cash is not exactly a proven goal scorer but he was wide open and making the high percentage pass in Unai’s system is more useful than trying to thread the needle.  

3 hours ago, Villa87 said:

McGinn is pivotal to how we want to play. He will go down as a club legend by the time he moves on. Fantastic player. 

Let's not go mental here and put too much on him. He's raised his game a lot and is a good player, but he's not top 5 in terms of the most important players we have IMO. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Let's not go mental here and put too much on him. He's raised his game a lot and is a good player, but he's not top 5 in terms of the most important players we have IMO. 

On the evidence of the second half of last season, I would say he's in the top 3, along with Martinez and Mings. 

Obviously, time will tell to see how much of an impact our new signings make, but since Unai has come in John has been an absolute beast for us and is hugely important to how we play. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

On the evidence of the second half of last season, I would say he's in the top 3, along with Martinez and Mings. 

Obviously, time will tell to see how much of an impact our new signings make, but since Unai has come in John has been an absolute beast for us and is hugely important to how we play. 

The top 5 for me are essentially the spine: Martinez, Mings, Luiz, Kamara, Watkins. 

Don't get me wrong, McGinn is not far away from that - just not quite as important as those players IMO. 

• Like 1

His tenacity is a thing of beauty. It's incredible that this time last year, I couldn't see a future for him at the club, and now—I agree—he's one of our defining players. What a turnaround. Undroppable tbh.

• Like 1

Remember playing sunday mornings and you would come up againsf a skinheaded midfielder who was far smaller than you but he would then proceed to totally embarrass you with his aggression strength and great passing. Thats McGinn. Pound for pound one of the strongest footballers on the planet. 

• Like 3

On 31/07/2023 at 10:13, MWARLEY2 said:

Remember playing sunday mornings and you would come up againsf a skinheaded midfielder who was far smaller than you but he would then proceed to totally embarrass you with his aggression strength and great passing

I remember that exact bloke (still go for the occasional beer with him, in fact). Fortunately he was part of our team. 

• Like 1

Â