John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

This time last year, this would have been sadly a bit depressing. Now it's a delight. What a turnaround. The previous manager did McGinn no favours—he's been so good since Emery came in, and all there is is love.

There's no doubt that he has reached new heights under Emery and I would put that down to better decision-making.

His contribution to Scotland's late winner against Norway was outstanding, but the Scotland fans weren't willing to admit that his improvement had anything to do with Villa's manager.

First half of the season I was writing him off, this would have been bad news back then. Transformation under Emery has been ridiculous, such a key player now. Regardless of form, will always have a soft spot for Mcginn and Mings as they've been on the journey from Championship to where we are now. 

Tend to forget he was signed by Steve Bruce, seems to be a thing where a manager we want to be rid of leaves us with a good signing. Mcginn (Bruce) and Kamara (Gerrard). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There's no doubt that he has reached new heights under Emery and I would put that down to better decision-making.

His contribution to Scotland's late winner against Norway was outstanding, but the Scotland fans weren't willing to admit that his improvement had anything to do with Villa's manager.

What a strange comment.  He's been basically amazing for Scotland during the entire last 5 years, which would have been appreciated by Scotland fans who are pretty unlikely to be Villa fans.  Why would they ever pick out anything Emery has done?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

What a strange comment.  He's been basically amazing for Scotland during the entire last 5 years, which would have been appreciated by Scotland fans who are pretty unlikely to be Villa fans.  Why would they ever pick out anything Emery has done?

That's why I deleted my comment!

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Confident you can check my posts and never wrote him off. I love him. Another in long line of Villa stalwarts that I'm so happy he's part of the club

I'm sure there was some who never wrote him off, but you were in the minority.  The vast majority (myself included) wanted him sold 🤣

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm sure there was some who never wrote him off, but you were in the minority.  The vast majority (myself included) wanted him sold 🤣

I really enjoyed the interview where he reflected on how he wasn't at his best under Gerrard and he was the joker of the team but I think he's really matured under Emery. He had self reflection moment and we've all been there I think just dialing it in, in some jobs. Shows great character

5 minutes ago, pete101 said:

That contract would put him here just under 10 years, not including homegrown players , any others come to mind that have stayed similar length?

Allan Evans springs to mind.  Joined from Dunfermiline in 1977, left (I think) in 1988-89. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I never wrote him off and argued with many.  I want apologises from all of you right now. 

You gotta love John McGinn.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pete101 said:

That contract would put him here just under 10 years, not including homegrown players , any others come to mind that have stayed similar length?

Steve Staunton, albeit in two stints? Alan Wright? Mellberg was around for seven years [?].

I realise I'm overusing the question mark key...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I suppose that would depend on if you count Gareth Barry as homegrown or not?

• Like 1

McGinn, Mings  are the only ones left from our Championship days? Well, Davis and Hause aswell. Anyone else missing? What a transformation that has been. Fair enough for the level those two developed to. They’ve been good enough to start for a team that went to Europe.

Â